Terk TV42 Power Requirements

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pacorn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Indianapolis
I just had my Dishnetwork Vip622 installed. During the installation, I had the installer attach the Terk TV42 OTA antenna to the dish, but he was unwilling to run the Sat signals through the TV42 because it was not rated for the sat frequencies. So instead, he just ran a dedicated line from the antenna to my receiver.

I realize that the 622 does not provide power through the OTA input; thus, I need to supply power to the built-in amp in the Terk TV42. Here are my questions:

1) Can I simply supply power to the antenna by putting a power inserter/injector in the antenna line?

2) I cannot find any specs on the TV42, so I don't know how much power the amp requires. Since most equipment of this sort seems to run on 18V, I am going to assume that is what this antenna requires. Does anybody have any information to the contrary?

Thanks,
Paul

I can assure you that your best bet is to get rid of that Terk antenna and install a much better quality antenna. Such as the Channel Master CM 4228. You will save yourself a ton of headachesand worry trying to get that thing to work correctly and acceptable.

Look that Terk TV42 is a dish clip on for a dual output, single LNB (2 ports) and allows for ZERO aiming to get the correct heading for OTA reception and is going to be a NIGHTMARE, so why put him through all that just so he will be dissatisfied and be right back to do the entire job all over again from scratch? Better to work smart once than, double work.

I have attached a user guide and a spec link to this post.

SPECS

Attachments

• TerkTV42.PDF
    173.6 KB · Views: 455
While I appreciate that Terk products are widely believed to be of low quality, the Terk antenna is what I have to work with. The Terk antenna is already mounted on my dish (which requires an ~28 foot ladder to reach, which I do not have) and wired. I have no intention of placing some ugly antenna on my roof. (I would prefer to not even have the dish on my roof, but the Insight Cable DVR I was using can't compete with the Dish DVR's.) The attic is a possibility, but probably more work than I want to do (it's hot here right now!).

I think there is an outside chance that this low quality antenna may work in my situation because I am less than 15 miles from all of the stations I am interested in receiving and they are all within about 10 degrees of each other (251 - 262). I posted my question because, after much reading of other posts, it is clear to me that there is enough expertise here to answer my question.

So, I have received the message that I should have bought or should now buy a different antenna; however, if you have any advice for me on how to make my current setup work, I would greatly appreciate it.

Does your current dish have a single LNB with dual outputs (2 total)?
or
Do you have dual LNBs each with dual outputs (4 total or more)?

That OTA antenna is designed to work with SINGLE LNB dishes with only two outputs total; no more. Like an old plain 18" dish.

Last edited:
This is what I posted on another thread earlier today. I will be returning the Terk 5. The Silver Sensor works great (all my OTA channels are UHF). Seeing you are reasonably close to the towers the Silver Sensor directional antenna would probably work very well for you. I have mine sitting on the subwoofer............no 28 foot ladder required.
________

Received the Zenith Silver Sensor ZHDTV1 today. Hooked it up and got higher meter readings with no breakups or pixelation on all my local OTA channels. Will be returning the Terk 5. The Silver Sensor is less than half the cost of the Terk 5. Picked it up at amazon.com for 19.99. Would recommend this antenna if you are looking for a directional antenna and are located fairly close to your transmission towers. I am approximately 5 miles from mine.

charper1 said:
Does your current dish have a single LNB with dual outputs (2 total)?
or
Do you have dual LNBs each with dual outputs (4 total or more)?

That OTA antenna is designed to work with SINGLE LNB dishes with only two outputs total; no more. Like an old plain 18" dish.
charper1: The Dish is not connected through the antenna (the Dishnetwork installer did not want to run the sat signals through the antenna because it was not rated for the frequency of the sat signals). There is a dedicated cable running from the output of the antenna to my Vip622. That is why I need an alternate power source for the antenna.

Followup:

Today I installed a PicoMacon PS10 "Power Inserter..." and now I am receiving all of the digital channels available in my area (according to AntennaWeb.org, 46037). The one station in Muncie (31.8 miles away) has signals in the mid 70's. The rest of the stations (all less than 14 miles away) are at least 88 or higher.

Here's the setup, in case anybody else makes the "mistake" of buying a Terk antenna:

1) The antenna is mounted on the top edge of the dish, which is on top of my two story home.
2) RG6 from one of the OUTPUTS of the antenna (the satellite does not run through the antenna at all) to the TV/SAT side of a diplexer
3) RG6 from TV side of the diplexer to Antenna input on the Vip 622
4) RG6 from the "To Amplifier" side of the PS10 to the SAT side of the diplexer (nothing is connected to the "To TV" side of the PS10)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts