Terk TV44 and VIP211

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rtzverina

Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I used to have a Dish 500 and 811 receiver. I had a Terk TV44 hooked up to the Dish and was able to recieve all the major OTA channels and alot in HD. Last week, Dish Network switched out my Dish 500 with a Super Dish 1000.2 and my 811 with a VIP211. I can now no longer recieve any channels thru the Dish. I can only view the local channels when the antenna is hook directly to my TV. Does the 211 not work with OTA channels? I've been reading other posts and it seems like others have gotten it to work so I'm not sure why it's not working for me. When I try to scan for local channels in the Dish menu, it doesn't find any. It's only when the receiver is off that I can get my local channels to appear on the TV.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Roger

First off, you will not get any analog channels through your 211...digital only. Second, do you have your antenna cable split to the 211 and the TV? Have you checked your OTA connection at the 211? Checked the cable at the antenna? Just fishing for more info. The comment about turning off the receiver to get channels on your TV is not ringing right.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance... How do I know if I'm trying to get analog or digital channels? Is there an option to only scan for digital signals?

As for the connection, I've tried many different configurations. The way I have it set up right now, is the cable comes into the house and I have a diplexor (splitter) that has one cable going into the Satellite In port and the other cable going into the Off the Air Antenna In port on the back of the receiver.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance... How do I know if I'm trying to get analog or digital channels? Is there an option to only scan for digital signals?

As for the connection, I've tried many different configurations. The way I have it set up right now, is the cable comes into the house and I have a diplexor (splitter) that has one cable going into the Satellite In port and the other cable going into the Off the Air Antenna In port on the back of the receiver.
You really should have a separate cable from your Dish and Antenna. Diplexing both will reduce antenna signal strength, and most HDTV tuners can do a better job of signal retention than current Dish receivers. Also there is no analog setting on the 211. You will only get digital stations.

Your TV must have both digital and analog receivers built in. The 211 only has a digital receiver, so it should at least pick up the digital channels unless the signals are too weak or there is a problem with the hook up. After Feb 17, 2009, almost all analog broadcasting ceases, so you will only be able to get digital stations after that.
When you are viewing a digital (will show as 10-1 format instead of just 10 for channel 10) station via your TV connection, bring up the TV's signal meter and adjust the Terk for the strongest signal. Then go back to your 211 input and re-scan after checking that all connections are tight.
As for the previous post, he is suggesting that one cable comes from your satellite dish to the satellite input on your 211 and a separate cable comes from your antenna to the antenna in on your 211/TV. If so, it is a splitter on your antenna cable, not a diplexer. Diplexers are used in pairs to combine satellite and antenna cables into one. The splitter won't hurt the signal enough to matter, but make sure the connections are tight and the end of the cable are secure on the cable itself.

He is using a diplexor, not a splitter...dish and ant on same line.

Diplexer it is then so you still need to check the connections, but I you can't aim that antenna as it is fixed to the dish. I would still check the signal strength on the TV. Digital signals usually have to be about 70 and above to be reliable. It's possible that your TV has a better ATSC (digital) tuner than the 211, or there is a problem in the cabling.

My TV doesn't have a digital reciever built-in. It's only "Digital-ready" - old technology, I know.

When you say the channel must be 10.1, etc, you mean through the 211 when adding local channels? When adding channels, it doesn't give me the option to put in decimals, only whole numbers.

I appreciate all your advice with this. It sounds like a connection problem or that the tech fired the diplexor or something when hooking it up.

I've been reading some posts that trash the Terk antennas and promote the Silver Sensor antennas. You guys have any experience with this antenna? Do they pick up a pretty signal when installed in the basement?

Thanks again,
Roger

Zenith Silver Sensors are Indoor antennas, which is fine if you are about 15 miles away or less from farthest tower. The downside to your Terk is you can't aim it.
You don't need to worry about 10.1, etc once you get your antenna back on line. No, you don't enter decimals. Entering manually, you would use the stations digital channel. To find out what that would be in your area, check AntennaWeb

Something tells me that the installer did not scan for the digital channels in the 211 when they switched the receiver.

Press Menu, 6, 8, Scan Locals on the remote control. Once it scanned for you locals, saved them and then press the guide and check if your digital locals are there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)