Test if satellite dish is active (apartment complex)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Manager648

Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Oxford, AL
I manage an apartment complex. We allow satellites so long as they're on a pole in the ground. I know several are inactive because they're are more satellites than there are apartments by some buildings.

We want to remove the inactive satellites. Is there a way to test of the satellite is active outside before we remove it? I'd hate to remove a residents satellite by mistake.

I manage an apartment complex. We allow satellites so long as they're on a pole in the ground. I know several are inactive because they're are more satellites than there are apartments by some buildings.

We want to remove the inactive satellites. Is there a way to test of the satellite is active outside before we remove it? I'd hate to remove a residents satellite by mistake.
Touch the coax connector to your tongue, that should tell you if its working or not.

Ok maybe not. The only sure way I can think of is to trace the cable into the apartment and see if its connected to an active Dish or DirecTV system. Even if there are unused connectors on the LNB and you had a meter you may have to remove the LNB to connect the meter at risk of moving the dish off the satellite. I would just rely on physically identifying the cable from the dish to an active receiver.

Reactions: TheKrell and Jimbo
Touch the coax connector to your tongue, that should tell you if its working or not.
LOL! I was going to suggest a VTVM, but I don't want to date myself. :D

P.S. love your screen name. From the avatar, it appears to be 90 deg.

Before you disconnect any dishes or disable them, consider sending out a memo.

If you can't trace the cables, you're going to have to set aside a day when you block each of the dishes and see which unit(s) is/are impacted.

Communications is important.
People pay $$ for service. I would not want to explain to someone that I purposely took out the programming they pay for only to see if the dish was in use.

Reactions: Jimbo
As you manage the complex you should have a maintenance guy with a multimeter.
Have him unscrew questionable F connectors at the LNB and check for ~18-21 VDC at it.
Center pin +, outer connector -.
If the dish is connected to a receiver inside, there should be voltage.
You could unscrew connectors too and put a dab of red paint on them.
If in fact they are in use it wont be long before a Dish or Direc van pulls in to troubleshoot and screw them back in.

Have him unscrew questionable F connectors at the LNB and check for ~18-21 VDC at it.
If in fact they are in use it wont be long before a Dish or Direc van pulls in to troubleshoot and screw them back in.
Maybe that van would cost the subscriber $95 to roll. Not the best idea.

You will have to remove the LNB to do this and risk detuning the dish. I don't recommend anyone but a competent installer to do this with the ability to repeak the dish after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)