Test Pattern on channel 540-04

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
Dish is currently broadcasting a Sarnoff test pattern on channel 540-04. The HDR mode is on and they are doing a Dolby audio test. Hopefully they will figure out how to correct the color saturation using HDR.
The test pattern stopped at 11:04 and they now have a screen advertising the Utah State versus San Diego State football game on Fox Sports at 3 PM. It will be truly fantastic if they show the game in HDR with the correct color settings. Dish keep up the good work.

Last edited:
I discovered another clue in my 2018 LG C8 HDCP saga. When I tried tuning in 540-01 it wasn’t tuning in for me, but it was something new. I saw it wasn’t the 890 error, it was the 1570 (?) error that said my system didn’t support the requested resolution. Just for chagrins (I know it’s the wrong expression, but this is a Family-friendly site ;)) I unplugged my Yamaha AVR and my Pany Blu-Ray from the LG. Guess what? I now had HDR 4K!

I think my old MonoPrice HDMI cable running between my LG and my Yamaha was the issue, even though technically the HDCP signal went direct from my Hopper 3 to my LG. Maybe the Hopper looked at the LG eARC channel and said it wasn’t HDCP 2.2-capable with the cable going to my Yamaha. Fortunately I had my Denon ready to go and so far, so good. I should be ready for the Michigan - Iowa Big 10 Championship game in 4K HDR.

Regarding San Diego St. - Utah St. game, the most impressive thing about the picture is how rich the Aztec’s helmets look in the SoCal sun. Unfortunately, like others have noted, everything else looks blown out. Lots of range, but it does not look or feel realistic.

But it beats the past games on 540-01 looking washed-out!

Reactions: charlesrshell
It’s worse than watching it set to Picture mode “vivid“ more like a cartoon!
I tweaked some settings on my SONY TV. I'm watching the B1G-10 Championship game (CH 540-04 4KHDR) it's awesome. The color and detail are stunning...

Hey DISH-TV, bring on more programing in HDR...Please!

The other HDR game earlier must've been using inferior equipment or wasn't calibrated correctly, IMO!

I tweaked some settings on my SONY TV. I'm watching the B1G-10 Championship game (CH 540-04 4KHDR) it's awesome. The color and detail are stunning.

What settings did you change on your Sony TV? I have a Sony XBR-65X900E and the colors on Dish 540-04 were way over saturated. My TV settings are all in Auto and I have the factory defaults. The color was so intense that the player’s faces all looked sun burned. I ended up watching the game on my Roku.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
What settings did you change on your Sony TV? I have a Sony XBR-65X900E and the colors on Dish 540-04 were way over saturated. My TV settings are all in Auto and I have the factory defaults. The color was so intense that the player’s faces all looked sun burned. I ended up watching the game on my Roku.
I have the XBR-75X900E. I didn’t want to mess up some of my other picture mode settings so I tried Sports. I froze the game several times especially to focus on their helmets, faces, and playing field. Some of my settings make no sense like going from -1 to Max on gamma.
I hate to clutter up this thread but the best way for me is to just post the pictures of the settings I settled on. I also brought up Netflix this morning of an HDR program to see how I like the sports mode for HDR viewing. I was pleasantly surprised again, the formula 1 drivers faces are fairly close to my liking although I may fine-tune it again.
My pics don't do justice to what I'm seeing (Great Color and POP/WOW Factor)...Good-Luck, not sure if my settings will work for ya or not. I suggest taking pics of your before settings in case it looks like crap!

IMG_E7230.JPG
IMG_E7231.JPG
IMG_E7232.JPG
IMG_E7233.JPG
IMG_E7234.JPG
IMG_E7235.JPG
IMG_E7241.JPG
IMG_E7242.JPG