Thanks guys! :)

pdx503

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Pacific NW
I wanted to take the time to thank all who have answered my Hopper questions. Unfortunately, I've had to cancel my Dish install, because my DSL internet is far too slow (only 1mbps possible), and I have to go with cable internet, which means no coax available for dish, since my apartment complex will not allow a new jack to be installed :(

So, no Dish for me at this address...which sucks, as this is the first apartment in 5 years that has had a workable skyview, after a string of places that were impossible either due to angle or trees...I could cry!

-Will

Well. Depending on your local cable company, you may get pretty decent service. Most cableco's have excellent promo pricing for new customers. And, some have very cool new hardware. Of course, you have to be lucky enough to live in the right area.

I don't understand why 1mpbs is "far too slow". :confused:

I know I wouldn't accept 1Mbps... Hell I had 6Mbps 7 years ago. My phone gets 10-12Mbps regularly and I have 24Mbps at home.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Not the best solution but I ran coax thru my window using a piece of flat coax. Internet worked fine this way and since I had a wireless router it could be in a room I rarely used.

Well. Depending on your local cable company, you may get pretty decent service. Most cableco's have excellent promo pricing for new customers. And, some have very cool new hardware. Of course, you have to be lucky enough to live in the right area.

Well, I know the internet connection is going to be better. I'm currently going the budget route, which will mean 3mbps. I thought that was slow, compared to the 20mbps that I had previously... but after experiencing 1mbps, I will NOT be complaining. When my financial situation improves, I will likely upgrade again, but I have a new appreciation for 3mbps. :)

It's the TV that's going to suck. In my area, the only package that begins to approach the selection of AT120 costs somewhere in the $70 range, and that does not include internet.

So it's "limited basic" cable for now. Most bundles they have still seem to top $100/month, and that's a cost I am not willing to pay.

I realized 1mbps was far too slow when a Youtube video, at its lowest resolution, and with nothing else utilizing my connection, could not play without repeatedly buffering. And due to distance, 1mbps was all the telco could give me.

Not the best solution but I ran coax thru my window using a piece of flat coax. Internet worked fine this way and since I had a wireless router it could be in a room I rarely used.

If I lived in a better neighborhood, I would definitely consider that. In my neighborhood, I wouldn't want to risk making it even the slightest bit easier (or more tempting) to get in.

Thanks for that advice though -- you may have just given me the key to getting Dish in my NEXT apartment!

You're kidding, right? Anything having to do with video streaming while doing ANYTHING else is impossible. HD video streaming, impossible. Sharing high res pix both sending and receiving, and online gaming all really require more than 1MBPS. I left my DSL company because I was only able to get a consistent 1.5 mbps. A minimum of 3mbps is really required for minimum seamless internet service.

Is almost like cable service, when the cable is old or bad you get bad picture or no picture at all, so I would say check the cables to see if it's up to par, then check the nodes if it needs replacing (which it shouldn't have especially newly installed) and most definitely the signal levels and resolution settings. Edit: wrong thread

Last edited:
You're kidding, right? Anything having to do with video streaming while doing ANYTHING else is impossible.

With hundreds of channels available via satellite, what's so darn important about video streaming you young whipper snapper? ;) Why, I remember, back in the day, my whole agency of 10K people all shared 1.5mbps!

Last edited:
I had 1.5Mbps way back in 2002. I guess I'm lucky where I live as far as DSL is concerned. 1.5 in 2002, 6 in 2005, 12 in 2009, 24 in 2010.

I don't know. I remember only two scenes from that movie. (1) Bart holding a gun to his own head and (2) Mongo knocking out the horse. But my memory may be failing. :(

If I lived in a better neighborhood, I would definitely consider that. In my neighborhood, I wouldn't want to risk making it even the slightest bit easier (or more tempting) to get in.

Thanks for that advice though -- you may have just given me the key to getting Dish in my NEXT apartment!

You can still lock the window. It doesn't change any security. Someone wants in they will just remove the window.

At the same time with no usable coax jacks to the inside then the node would need to go inside. You can't run a hopper line with a flat cable in it, it's not rated to 3ghz and will cause problems. The solution to this to two flat cables and putting the node inside. That's why I hate apartment hopper jobs

At the same time with no usable coax jacks to the inside then the node would need to go inside. You can't run a hopper line with a flat cable in it, it's not rated to 3ghz and will cause problems. The solution to this to two flat cables and putting the node inside. That's why I hate apartment hopper jobs

Thanks! I will just hope that I will eventually live in a place where decent internet will come from any other choice than Comcast, and a good skyview.

Needless to say, it hurts to watch a Dish commercial now. Comcast dares to charge $34.95 for their "digital economy" tier (Translation: 20 more channels compared to limited basic) or $67.49 for channels 2-71.

Bundling? For $69.99 (regularly $79.99 starting next month) they'll give you the digital economy tier with a faster net connection. If (like me) you just want more channels and can live with a 3mbps internet connection, you are out of luck.

How Comcast can air anti-satellite commercials (in good conscience, anyway), I'll never know. All I know is that those "poor satellite people" are saving a bundle of cash for more channels.

<sarcasm>Nope, I have no idea why anyone would want to put up a dish. ;) </sarcasm>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)