The 20 Biggest Mess-Ups/Mistakes in ABC History

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
*The one mess-up involving ABC that most immediately comes to mind from the start is them oversaturating amd overrelying on Who Wants to be a Millionaire by putting it on almost every weeknight.

*Another case of ABC oversaturating something is when off the heels of Sabrina the Teenage Witch being a success in its first season on TGIF, ABC (who had just lost Family Matters and Step by Step to CBS, who started their own short-lived version of TGIF called "The Block Party") ordered two more supernatural/special effects heavy sitcoms in You Wish (basically a '90s version I Dream of Jeannie if Jeannie were male) and Teen Angel. These two shows only lasted for a single season and that was to me, the beginning of the end of TGIF (all of the other shows besides Sabrina and Boy Meets World didn't last beyond a single season if I'm not mistaken).

*And speaking of TGIF, there was the whole reasoning behind ABC cancelling Just the 10 of Us after two seasons, even though it I believe, won it's time slot. ABC basically wanted all of the shows in TGIF to be produced by Miller-Boyett Productions (just like Perfect Strangers, Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, and Hangin' w/ Mr. Cooper). In the place of Just the 10 of Us (which was outright canceled when ABC couldn't find another suitable timeslot for it) came Going Places. This proved to bite ABC in the butt because Going Places wound up only lasting one season.

*ABC's micromanagment during at least the initial years that Disney owned the company (w/ Michael Eisner still around as CEO). With this came some serious errors in judgement. For example, ABC turned down a chance to broadcast CSI instead of CBS. Eisner also apparently didn't want Lost (or Desperate Housewives for that matter) even though it was a huge success for ABC.

*Diluting ABC Sports during the late '90s early 2000s in favor of more emphasis on ESPN. This in a way, hurt ABC's ability to promote new programming and through a wrench in the unique relationships (if you want to call it that) affiliate stations. More to the point, ABC had a chance at landing the Sunday night prime time package in 2006 instead of NBC, but for whatever the reasons fumbled;) (while at the same time, resting on its laurels by worrying about moving Desperate Housewives) and Disney wound up overpaying for Monday Night Football on ESPN (which was really just the old ESPN Sunday Night Football package a day later).

*Meddling w/ Mork & Mindy after its first season (which was the third rated show in America I think) in order to further appeal towards younger viewers.

*The whole controversy involving ABC pulling the plug on long running soaps like All My Children and One Life to Live.

*The David Westin regime at ABC News.

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=4838348#ixzz2hGYfmvxt

Definitely killing off All My Children and One Life to live was one of the most controversial stupid things that ABC has ever done.

Disney totally ruined ABC in my opinion. The network doesn't even have its own sports division anymore. In fact, if it weren't for the ABC bug in the corner, I would think I actually was watching ESPN itself.

I really hated when they would throw their Disney Channel shows onto ABC's Saturday morning lineup and put the "E/I" bug in the corner. How in the hell were those shows educational and informative again? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts