Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
New User Interface - sweet
Sling Built In - Awsome
Web Access - Nice
Trigger remote - neat
Support for Custom Apps! - $#@! Stop the Presses!

With so many new things that the 922 brings to the table, this one feature either has been missed by most reports/reviews, or is just underestimated around here. While the Sling tech is great, if you really want to have it now, you can. Just buy and add a slingbox proHD, and your 722 can be a 922 jr.

But with the added capability of writing custom applications for this DVR, the 922 moves from being just a product to being a platform. My guess is that this would be strongly influenced by the Sling folks that are now part of echostar. They have a lot of experience in working with other open platforms such as Blackberry and iPhones. They know that there is greater value in having an open platform, especially in market share. Plus I'm sure that when someone pitched the idea to Charlie, once they spoke of "app store" revenue, it was quickly green-lighted. Now throw in support for QAM/True2way cable cards and the 922 is even MSO independent.

I didn't believe it before, but now I agree that the term "Tivo Killer" rightly applies here. I have to wonder though, how much control of the DVR will custom app have? Will people be able to write apps that can control the playback of content or changing channels? Or will the apps be limited to simple nifty computer programs will possible internet access? I sure wonder what the limits of the SDK will be.

This should be a very exciting year for Echostar. I am going to have a fun time watching it unfold.

Last edited:
How will they come

If it is gonna be "open" platform how will they get into the unit? What will keep it from being open sourced for all kind of purposes. How will they keep the genie in the bottle so to speak?

Well, I'm sure that the apps will be restricted in their access to the hardware. This restricted mode would serve to protect the DVR from poor programming which could render it "bricked". With that said, I would not expect someone for example to create a "uber DVR" with all new menus and such.

Last edited:
Well, I'm sure that the apps will be restricted in their access to the hardware. This restricted mode would server to protect the DVR from poor programming which could render it "bricked". With that said, I would not expect someone for example to create a "uber DVR" with all new menus and such.

Does anyone know if they will allow skins or themes? Because, I don't think I am the only one who thinks the graphics look terrible on the 922... Sure, they are a shiny upgrade from the current receivers, but really the current menus look like they were designed in 1997, while the 922's looks like it was designed in 2001...

Personally, I think the D* menu look is much more visually appealing and current in terms of today's design aesthetic. Then again, I used to be a web designer, so maybe I care too much about this stuff...

I'm skeptical the 922 will have the same well executed platform like the iphone app store. However, I hope I'm dead wrong and it surpasses the app store.

Just as in a previous post, there will be absolutely be certain functions blocked from 3rd party applications. There's no way they'll be allowed to have a "dvrms-toolbox like" application.

can't wait!

Personally, I think the D* menu look is much more visually appealing and current in terms of today's design aesthetic. Then again, I used to be a web designer, so maybe I care too much about this stuff...

It's purely subjective taste as far as I can tell. They barely look different from a functional standpoint. I think D* looks rather flat and business like. It's much like vehicles as well. I think the PT Cruiser is one of the most ugly designs put on four wheels but others love it. I try to avoid those people... :)

It was somewhat amusing to me that you are commenting on how "today" DirecTV's guide looks but you then end your statement with "I used to be a web designer...".

Web aesthetics change faster than any other interface I know of! :D

It's purely subjective taste as far as I can tell. They barely look different from a functional standpoint. I think D* looks rather flat and business like. It's much like vehicles as well. I think the PT Cruiser is one of the most ugly designs put on four wheels but others love it. I try to avoid those people... :)

It was somewhat amusing to me that you are commenting on how "today" DirecTV's guide looks but you then end your statement with "I used to be a web designer...".

Web aesthetics change faster than any other interface I know of! :D
Fair enough. I still do it part time though, but only for friends and family. I still keep up with Delicious.com (or Del.icio.us as it used to be; what a pain in the ass to type into the browser...), smashing magazine, and a few of some of my favorite designers.

Anyways, you are right. Design is a personal thing. I think the 922 interface looks clunky and the colors are too stark. I like the "flat" clean look of the D* guide. To each his own though. Either way, the fact that it is subjective makes my point. People would probably find some value in being able to change the look.

Fair enough. I still do it part time though, but only for friends and family. I still keep up with Delicious.com (or Del.icio.us as it used to be; what a pain in the ass to type into the browser...), smashing magazine, and a few of some of my favorite designers.

Anyways, you are right. Design is a personal thing. I think the 922 interface looks clunky and the colors are too stark. I like the "flat" clean look of the D* guide. To each his own though. Either way, the fact that it is subjective makes my point. People would probably find some value in being able to change the look.

Ah, Delicious! I used to get that magazine. I started writing webpages back when everyone was still using gopher and I was telling my boss the web was gonna be big. HTML by hand... Then I used HotMetal, Frontpage, Cold Fusion, NetObjects Fusion, and finally Dreamweaver. I quit writing pages back in 2002 and stuck with server administration. Less stressful!

I don't mind a flat, business like interface as long as it's intuitive and quick. Some of these flash enabled websites are getting to be a pain to get anything done on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)