ViP722 Phone Home Issues

Giljorak

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Englewood, Colorado
My 722 shows that it last connected to Dish on 1/13. Since that time there are over 160 calls to 18663668634. When I test the connection in the 722 it says it failed. I know the phone line is ok because if I plug it in to one of my 510's the 510 will call out just fine. The 722 sees the dial tone (green handset in Menu>6>1>3) and the caller ID works just fine.

If I monitor the call when the 722 calls out I can hear it dial and the far end answer. Then about the time the handshake should start happening the 722 says the connection failed.

What lead me to this is the $5 programming access fee on my latest bill. I called Dish and had it removed. This lead to the above troubleshooting. I called Dish tech support after I did my troubleshooting but they were no help at all. They said they did not see a programming access fee on my account, waived or not. They also said that the 722 only needs to call out once a month and that I do not need to worry about. Ethernet is not an option at the moment.

There is definitely a problem with 722 and it phoning home.
Any ideas as to a fix or should I just play CSR roulette until someone takes an interest in helping me?

just a thought
Do you have dsl internet?
If so you will need a filter for the stb
It will call and connect but will not transfer data without one

Also if you do have High Speed internet at home, but don't want to run an ethernet cable to the 722, you can use the "HomePlug" feature. This will allow your 722 to use your internet connection without having to run an ethernet cable to the 722. It will instead "talk" over the powerlines in your house to the DSL connection.

Thanks for the replies.

I have cable for my broadband internet access.
The ethernet port works fine. My original post asked about the phone line connection not the ethernet connection.

The phone line was working fine for the first month the 722 was installed. It was installed on 12/14/08 and stopped working via phone line on 1/13/09.

At this time, I am not interested in ethernet connectivity options. As soon as I get time I will be configuring a wireless bridge for it to connect to my home network. Until then I need the 722 to use the phone line for phoning home.

Looks like it's time to play CSR tag.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)