The Belmont 38 years ago today...

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Southwest Ohio
[youtube]2c_ylcxgCaI[/youtube]

I remember watching this on a small B&W set at a campground in Louisiana with my parents. :)

secretariatcom_2053_37222889.jpg

This photo is one of my favorites. An enlarged copy of it hangs inside the jockey weighing room at Churchill Downs.

PERSONALLY, and it is only because I saw him race, my favorite horse was Seattle Slew. I saw his AMAZING win in the Flamingo Stakes just before the Derby and his first loss live and in person. I still think to this day, when Slew's ownership switched trainers, he took a turn for the worse and almost died due to serious viral infection. With Doug Peterson as his trainer, Slew was won 4 out of 7 races, beating Triple Crown winner not once, but twice...easily.

Slew is just a nose behind Secretariat.... just a nose. Seattle Slew is still, the only horse ever to win the Triple Crown as an undefeated horse and ended up winning 13 out of 17 races. The most cruel shot ever to his legacy, in 1978, he came 2nd for Horse of the Year to a horse he beat TWICE, Affirmed.

I've seen every Triple Crown race since the late 60s and I have never seen a horse like Secretariat...although Seattle Slew was a not too distant seconds. Back then I thought it was commonplace for a horse to win the Triple Crown. Yikes! that was 33-years ago.

I've seen every Triple Crown race since the late 60s and I have never seen a horse like Secretariat...although Seattle Slew was a not too distant seconds. Back then I thought it was commonplace for a horse to win the Triple Crown. Yikes! that was 33-years ago.

Yeah....there were 3 Triple Crown winners in the 70s and none since Affirmed.

PERSONALLY, and it is only because I saw him race, my favorite horse was Seattle Slew. I saw his AMAZING win in the Flamingo Stakes just before the Derby and his first loss live and in person. I still think to this day, when Slew's ownership switched trainers, he took a turn for the worse and almost died due to serious viral infection. With Doug Peterson as his trainer, Slew was won 4 out of 7 races, beating Triple Crown winner not once, but twice...easily.

Slew is just a nose behind Secretariat.... just a nose. Seattle Slew is still, the only horse ever to win the Triple Crown as an undefeated horse and ended up winning 13 out of 17 races. The most cruel shot ever to his legacy, in 1978, he came 2nd for Horse of the Year to a horse he beat TWICE, Affirmed.
I loved Seattle Slew. Being the first undefeated winner of the Triple Crown was what I thought made him special...and then to do what he did the following year after battling all sorts of ailments was something spectacular. To think that he was purchased for only $17,500. I agree, Slew definitely deserved horse of the year in 1978.

The '70's spoiled me too. I didn't realize what a toll it took on these horses just to run the Triple Crown much less win it. I'd like to see it happen again in my lifetime...and have my kids see it too. Together we've watch every Kentucky Derby and Preakness, and the Belmont if there is a TC chance, since they were 5 and 7. They're 18 and 20 now and still have to hear my '70's stories. Hopefully one day they'll have their own to tell. :)

BTW, Ruler on Ice, a 24-1 long-shot won the race; Shackleford finished 5th; and Animal Kingdom, who had a miserable start (clipped hoofs with another horse and almost lost his jockey) ran a good race but was too far behind and finished 6th.

riffjim4069 said:
BTW, Ruler on Ice, a 24-1 long-shot won the race; Shackleford finished 5th; and Animal Kingdom, who had a miserable start (clipped hoofs with another horse and almost lost his jockey) ran a good race but was too far behind and finished 6th.

Yeah, absolutely terrible start by Animal Kingdom...he had way too much to make up the final 150 yards and a sloppy track will take alot out of a horse. Now, if I am not mistaken, the Breeders Cup is next.

I watched. Exciting race even though the TC wasn't in play. What a messy track. Animal Kingdom stumbling at the start like that could've turned out real bad. Amazing recovery by Velazquez. So glad neither man nor horse got hurt. Sounds like both the jockey and the owner are blaming Isn't He Perfect . Wasn't that the Guinness drinking horse they talked about? Must've had one too many yesterday morning.

Animal Kingdom's owner, jockey still angry over incident at Belmont Stakes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)