The Best Laptop Computer Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_madhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi guys , wondering if anybody has an experience with laptop computers Which is the best brand of these shown below :-

IBM , Compaq , Dell , Acer , Hewlet-Packard , Toshiba , Sony , Sharp , Fujitus

Regarding the features shown below:-

1 - Type of processor
2 - Computing speed
3 - RAM per processor
4- Hard Disk drive
5 - Modem
6 - Operating system
7 - Memory in ( GB )
8 - PCMCIA slot
9 - Smartcard reader/writer

this laptop to be use for updating and programming CAM Modules& Smartcards

all help is much appreciated .

Compaq Rocks

I have used Compaq's for years with excellent results. First a 1610 then an 1800 that I still use.
Stay away from Dell even though they are cheap.
I hear good things about IBM's from coworkers.

If you are looking for a deal on anything tech, check www.slickdeals.net and www.techbargains.com but I warn you up front that you can get hooked on free after rebate deals. If you don't need the latest greatest try searching Ebay.

IBM thinkpads are very strong and my HP is very reliable.

Do you need a rough use laptop?

If you are going to be using the COMs I would stay away from WinXP.

Look for an AMID processor (even a 64bit) @ 2Ghz or faster, built-in 54g, at least 1GB of RAM, a 60GB HDD, radeon 9700 chipset (or better) video with a minimum of 128mb on board (or better) v96 modem built-in just in case, 15" or larger screen (no 16 x 9 format)

I just got a new IBM T42 and I absolutely love it. I personally dont want a laptop with a screen bigger than 14"...I dont want a "luggable" again. Its quite thin, light and has good battery life.

My girlfriend just got a new Dell Latitude D610 and its pretty nice as well. Although, it doesnt seem as sturdy as my ThinkPad. Stay away from the Dell Inspiron line...those seem to be quite cheaply made.

I have the Compaq Evo N620c, Pentium M 1.4GHz, 512mb ram, DVDRW, 40gig drive, and an ever elusive SERIAL PORT! I have no issues doing things with my serial port, including smarcard readers, IRD updates, and serial control. I love it, built well, great size, awesome battery life.. I am posting on it right now from my friends house ;)

I like HP's myself. Had nothing but good luck with them, and when I had a problem HP was there and took care of it imediately and extended my warranty a year to boot.

Sony's are overpriced crap, stay away, they look cool but they run like crap.

I think he means smartcards as in the memory cards digital cameras use. I know of no laptop with a DishNetwork / DirecTV smartcard reader built in. :D

IBM Laptops Are Durable!

I have two IBM laptops and love them. I travel a lot and the laptop takes a beating. I have never had any issues with either of them. They are feature packed as well, and have received great reviews from G4TV, and Cnet. In all fairness, I think I should disclose the fact that I am an IBM employee as well. I am not, however, in the PC sales division.

This was originally in the DVB/FTA area so I assumed since his location was shown in the middle east that he was wanting it for CAM & card use (conditional access module & access card) for subscription services that use these items which are legal. If he was meaning to illegally program them, then we should delete this. Scott, you weighed in, do you really think he meant memory, did he PM you?

Because the memory in cameras and MP3 players is actually called "flash memory" and one one the popular types is called SmartMedia (SM); the others being SecureDigital (SD), CompactFlash (CF), Memory Stick (MS), MultiMediaCard (MMC) and xD-Picture Card (xD).

AND after rereading this I now think he means SMARTCARDS, as in a security card: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question332.htm

Best laptop - by what?

Pricewise Dell is unbeatable. IBM is pretty high quality but typically behind features of Acer. HP is very good on features/performance/price but don't expect lightweight ones - go to Sony for that.

I just bought an Inspiron 6000 15.4" 1680x1050 wide laptop with the new Intel Sonoma Centrino stuff: P-M 1.6Ghz 533FSB, CPU 60 gigs 5400 rpm HDD, DVD/CD-RW combo, ATI Radeon Mobility X300 128 megs discrete (mini PCI-Express), 256 megs 533MHz DDR2 memory, WiFi b/g, Bluetooth, VGA/S-video out etc. Check this: $890 shipped!
I ordered extra 1GB 533 MHz DDR2 memory on the net for $135 shipped.
Total: $1025 and I have this laptop with 1.25GB memory...

I use AMD almost everywhere but this was waaay too good to pass on and actually Centrinos are still the King of the Hill when it comes to power consumption versus performance. It arrived and became my wife's personal machine (6lbs, so medium weight), so it's more than enough, though if I have to travel (not likely), even I'll be able to work on it, connect to the HQ via VPN etc. :)

If somebody goes for it, you can upgrade it to 1920x1200 display (for 15.4" I found it meaningless) for $50 and DL DVD+/-RW for another $100 (also unnecessary when I haveeee two PCs and a dual G5).

I bought a referb ibm a22 and it was the best laptop I had seen, it had 2 type II pcmcia slots, and internal 10/100 with modem card. I would also like to say that it is now dead, and the retailer (wintergreen systems) will not do warranty service after 6 months. So as long as you buy new, they are very good pieces of kit.

I also have a 4 year old hp ze1110 which is ok, the whole line has problems with the dc input jack, but that was easily corrected with a soldering iron. Hp computers however are more consumer level machines, where ibm are more business/industry focused machines.

And I have seen alot of people buy dells, but they are not quite of the same quality as ibm, imo.

It depends. If you buy a higher price one, you'll get strong housing etc. Cheap one is metal frame but plstic cover - which doesn't mean anything if you can take care.
Let me tell you a dirty little secret: Apple and Dell use the same OEM vendor - go figure the rest... ;)

One of my killer favourite nowadays is Acer's TravelMate 8104WLMi - that's a killer one, one of the best is one the market now and still reasonable priced for $2K: new Sonoma 533MHz P-M 760 2.0GHz, 1GB memory, 15.4" wide 1680 x 1050 LCD, WiFi a/b/g, Bluetooth, 8x DVD+/-RW w/ DL, ATI Mobility Radeon x700 128MB mPCI-E, 100GB hard drive, Gb ethernet, flash reader, VGA/S-video out etc, everything you can ask for, it even comes with security card by default. Amazing piece, check here: http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm8100.htm

I also have some connections at AMD and although I can't say anything, I suggest you to wait a month and watch out for HP... ;)

I've got a Dell 5150... other than the tremendous amount of heat it generates, and having had the motherboard replaced twice and the DVDROM/CDRW combo be flaky when it gets hot, it's a great machine. :)

I had a ThinkPad T42 for the short time I was at perot, and loved it. I also own a HP ZE5602US, and like it, but it gets HOT, and is heavy compared to the T42. If I was looking, I'd look at the ThinkPads, FWIW.

Having worked for Compaq, Dell and IBM, and serviced/repaired Gateway laptops I can safely say:

Compaq, The same as HP (Same company) - Plasticky, middle of the road, nothing too flashy but cheap. Weak power connectors and hinges.

Dell, if you happen to get a good machine (ie: not a lemon) The price is unbeatable, Higher end models have magnesium-alloy chassis' and are built very well - if you manage to stumble upon a $750 off coupon code these can be had for a steal.

Gateway. Plasticky, prone to power board failure, most are plain-jane machines unless you spend the $$, Gateway machines don't hold their resale value well.

IBM, Built like tanks, serious machines, hold their value very well. Have magnesuim-alloy covers. Forget IBM if you're looking to play any of the latest games. Expensive but well worth it.

I've repaired hundreds of machines over the years, mostly Dell and IBM, this is my opinion only, everyone's different.

How do the Toshiba's hold up compared to the other ones? I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and had to have it returned due to wierd bugs that even a system format and windows reinstall did not cure. I also had to have the power cord/box replaced. Other than that it runs great. The Toshiba Satellite I have had to have a windows xp reinstallation and turned off on its own twice and a few other strange bugs like that. Other than that it runs great. The Dell has 2.4 GHZ Pentium M and the Toshiba has a 3.06 GHZ Pentium. They both have 512 MB of Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts