The Best Postseason Game Ever

OK, baseball fans! I have a trivia question for you.

Can anyone name the Red Sox pitcher who gave up the game-winning hit to Joe Morgan in the 9th inning of this game? And don't look it up!

Jim Burton.

Being a Red Sox fan, that name was burned into my brain at a very early age!

I'm an old guy who is a Reds fan so I will throw a couple of games out there that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Game five of the 1972 playoffs. Johnny Bench hits a HR in top of the 9th to tie the game against the Pirates and winning run scores on a wp by Bob Moose. This was Roberto Clemente's last game too.

Game three of the 1976 playoffs. Bench(again) and George Foster hit back to back HR's in the 9th to tie the game against the Phils. Concepcion scores the winning run when Bobby Tolan boots a grounder to first.

Game Four,I think,of the 1973 Playoffs. Rose hits a home run in top of the ninth to propel the Reds to the win. Rose pumps his fists rounding the bases. The Mets fans really liked him after that.

I tend to think Game 7 of the 1975 World Series was better but I'm a Reds fan. Game six was great and I could enjoy it more, years after the fact.

Two of the best non Reds games was game 5 of the 1986 ALCS. Lots of turns and twists to this game. It has to be one of the best post season games no one ever talks about.

Game 7 of the 1991 World Series. Doesn't get any better than a 1-0 game in 10 innings.

I was only 1 when that happened and I have seen it probably a dozen times. It was a great game. I loved what Sparky said about the game. He told Pete Rose that it was the greatest game he had ever been apart of and Pete told him he was crazy because they lost the game.

Actually it was the other way around. Pete told him it was the greatest game he was ever a part of and Sparkly said you are crazy. I'm going to be up all night worrying about the next game and here you are exited. Pete told him don't worry about it we will win tommorrow. And that they did.

Actually it was the other way around. Pete told him it was the greatest game he was ever a part of and Sparkly said you are crazy. I'm going to be up all night worrying about the next game and here you are exited. Pete told him don't worry about it we will win tommorrow. And that they did.

Yeah, you're right. Like I said I was only one and have seen that conversation only twice.

....wow....Roberto Clemente...quite possibly the greatest latin baseball player ever to play the game....and idol to every single boy in Puerto Rico that ever grabbed a ball, bat and a glove.

...including yours truly!

Thanks Hallrk....;)

....wow....Roberto Clemente...quite possibly the greatest latin baseball player ever to play the game....and idol to every single boy in Puerto Rico that ever grabbed a ball, bat and a glove.

...including yours truly!

Thanks Hallrk....;)

Salsa, don't take this the wrong way but I hate when people say that about him or any other player. "The greatest {insert ethnicity}"

He is one of the Greatest Baseball players of all time. And I have no doubt that he would have broke Ty Cobbs record and put it out of Pete Rose's reach if he hadn't died.

Salsa, don't take this the wrong way but I hate when people say that about him or any other player. "The greatest {insert ethnicity}"

He is one of the Greatest Baseball players of all time. And I have no doubt that he would have broke Ty Cobbs record and put it out of Pete Rose's reach if he hadn't died.

noooooo....I totally undertand....but he was the 1st latino player to ever be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. He lead the way for players like Orlando Cepeda, Juan Marichal, Luis Aparicio, Rod Carew, Tony Perez and so on. And considering the fact that they didn't wait the required 5 years retirement for his induction AND he was a fellow Puerto Rican, made it that much more special.

Is it possible that NOBODY has mentioned 1986 NLCS Game 6? I think it ended about 5 minutes ago! (seriously, it was 16 innings of HELL for Met fans like me, awaiting a possible Mike Scott slaughter in game 7)

Still one of the top 5 or so of ANY baseball game I've watched.

noooooo....I totally undertand....but he was the 1st latino player to ever be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. He lead the way for players like Orlando Cepeda, Juan Marichal, Luis Aparicio, Rod Carew, Tony Perez and so on. And considering the fact that they didn't wait the required 5 years retirement for his induction AND he was a fellow Puerto Rican, made it that much more special.

Agreed! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)