the best way to record shows?

hdmi_guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
ive started thinking about it, i record a lot of shows and i have never used dish pass... what is the deal with it? i usually just go to guide and hit the record button and set it to either once or new episodes...
just wondering if it is just any easier to use dish pass....

:tux:

ok here is example.

Law and order you record all the new episode on nbc.... also you record all the episode on tnt, and usa.

now if you use dish pass. and just type in the title Law And Order. it will record everything on 1 times. nbc, usa, and tnt, on btw dont forget Bravo.

i am kind of confused... sounds like the same thing...

heres an example... the new season of robb and big starts jan 8 on mtv

if i only want to record new episodes then it seems lkike the regular old timer is the easiest...

i just dont see the point of dish pass seems kind of redundant...

i am kind of confused... sounds like the same thing...

heres an example... the new season of robb and big starts jan 8 on mtv

if i only want to record new episodes then it seems lkike the regular old timer is the easiest...

i just dont see the point of dish pass seems kind of redundant...

ok but if you want record all the law and order on all the channels. u can set it up with dish pass...........if you pick timer on tnt, it will only record law and order on tnt..... and you have to setup diffrent timer for every channel.....
dish pass is good if you want record all the episode and archive it.

Or another thought. Dish Pass allows you to set a show up to record that is not currently available on your guide. For example, I am probably the one person in the world that really likes the show Jericho. The new episodes are not on yet, and I am not sure when they start, however, I can set Dish Pass up to record them whenever they start rather than just hope I catch it on the guide in advance and remember to set an event up.

Or another thought. Dish Pass allows you to set a show up to record that is not currently available on your guide. For example, I am probably the one person in the world that really likes the show Jericho. The new episodes are not on yet, and I am not sure when they start, however, I can set Dish Pass up to record them whenever they start rather than just hope I catch it on the guide in advance and remember to set an event up.

oh ok that makes sense... cool..

Sheesh - I don't like it

I don't like the new features for the most part. I have a 510 and they upgraded me to the name based recording. It's a pain in the a**. I've skipped one showing (a repeat) at least 6 times this week, and it still pops up.
I like the idea of 'record only new episodes' but it does not work right. I keep getting shows that have a date prior to the 'current' one. When it does work right, it's great, but right now I'm at about a 50% accuracy rate.

I sometimes use the Dish Pass, on my 622, to keep up with the new shows coming out. There will be alot of new shows in January, so I set up a pass that uses the words "series premiere" or "season premiere" in the info section with an exact match. The DVR will automatically catch all new shows and I can then weed out the ones I want to continue watching and the ones I'm not interested in. I have found some really good shows, that I would not have discovered on my own.

ive started thinking about it, i record a lot of shows and i have never used dish pass... what is the deal with it? i usually just go to guide and hit the record button and set it to either once or new episodes...
just wondering if it is just any easier to use dish pass....

:tux:

I recently discovered Dish Pass on my 625 and I just love it. It's great for movies, especially if you have any movie packages (I have Showtime and Starz for now). Because movie channels usually show the same movie over and over again what Dish Pass does it pick the best time to record that movie and it automatically skips everything else either because another timer has a higher priority or it sees the same movie at a different time and won't record it because it's a duplicate event.

TV Shows, I admit that Dish Pass doesn't work as well with. Just to give an example, I like the show "King of the Hill". New episodes are on FOX on Sunday nights. But the old episodes are also on F/X and I get it on in syndication on my local station which Dish Pass also shows twice because locals are mapped down in the TV Guide. So when I Dish Pass "King of the Hill" it usually comes back with whole bunch of matches I don't like and I have to go through and skip all the ones I don't want which is really a pain so I now only put KOTH on a weekly timer.

For another show I like "Nip/Tuck", it's only on F/X so Dish Pass works great because it's on 3 days a week (the same episode) and it picks the best time to record that show if I have some movie conflicting with some of the other times.

Personally I almost always use DishPass first and then if there are too many matches I switch it to a weekly or once timer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)