The cable that goes nowhere??

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
I upgraded to Hopper + 3 J's a couple of months ago. Previously, I had two 722K's, each in separate locations. The DISH tech used one of the RG-6 lines from the DP Plus to set up the Hopper, and, until yesterday, I thought the other RG-6 line that went to the second 722K was just abandoned in place.

I am thinking about getting DISH Net, and wanted to see if the unused RG-6 line might be of value to the installer. The terminus which went into the 'K' is still there, "just hanging out." However, when I checked the solo node configuration just below the dish, the other end of the "abandoned line" is connected to the "to client" port on the solo node. I went to the online wiring diagram for the Hopper install and discovered multiple ways that a single Hopper can be configured, one of which is by not using the "to client" port. I have no idea what the function of the line attached to the "to client" port, but unused on the other end, is.

I hope the installer for the DISH Net, should I go that route, can use the "abandoned" RG-6 line and not have to reconfigure the Hopper set up too much. From some of the posts over on the Broadband forum, I get the impression that DISH TV techs and DISH Net techs are not necessarily cross-trained.

Whole thing reminds me of my Navy days when my ship came out of the shipyard after a major overhaul and upgrade, there were some electrical cables that didn't seem to go anywhere and were just hanging, unattached, in the cable run. So, one of the electricians mates just hooked them up the Navy equivalent of a 'J' box and we called it a day. Never was a problem......

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

That client port should be capped off if not in use. Even though its connected to a cable that runs through the home to the same room as the hopper its still open on that end I imagine. Hopper should be a fully enclosed system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)