The Captian Retires

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
The Captian Steve Yzerman Retired Today.

He will be missed in HOCKEYTOWN
You spell CLASS with the Captian

Red Wings' Yzerman retires
WebPosted Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:24:34 EDT
CBC Sports

After months of speculation, Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman announced his retirement from hockey Monday, ending an illustrious 22-year National Hockey League career.

Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman talks with reporters in the team's dressing room in Detroit, Thursday, May 4, 2006. Yzerman, 40, said that he wants to make a decision relatively quickly, maybe as early as next week, on whether to retire from hockey. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio) Associated Press Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman talks with reporters in the team's dressing room in Detroit, Thursday, May 4, 2006. Yzerman, 40, said that he wants to make a decision relatively quickly, maybe as early as next week, on whether to retire from hockey. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio) Associated Press

The 41-year-old Yzerman, widely regarded as one of the classiest players in the game, spent his entire 22-year career with the Red Wings, who drafted him fourth overall in 1983.

Yzerman led Detroit to three Stanley Cups (1997, 1998, 2002) and playoff appearances in each of the last 15 years of his career, and his 20 seasons as Detroit captain is an NHL record.

Only Hall-of-Famer Gordie Howe holds as many franchise records.

"My intention throughout the season was to retire, play one last year," Yzerman said. "I really enjoyed my final season here with the Red Wings.

"I thought about it a lot, about coming back and playing this season. This is the right decision for me at this time. I really have no doubt about that."

A series of career-threatening knee injuries over the last few years and a scary eye injury at the end of the 2003-04 season, combined with a long layoff from the game because of the lockout, seemed to suggest Yzerman would not be back for the 2005-06 season.

But the veteran forward signed a one-year deal with the Red Wings last August and stepped up his play as the season wore on.

Yzerman scored 14 goals and racked up 34 points in 61 games, playing a big role in guiding Detroit to an NHL-high 58 victories and the Presidents' Trophy with a league-leading 124 points.

He seemed ready to hang up the skates after the Red Wings were eliminated in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs by Edmonton, but he wanted to wait until the free agency deadline of July 1 to make a final decision.

"I really enjoyed the season," Yzerman said. "It ended in disappointment, but that's the one great thing about sports in general. There's no predicting what's the outcome."

Yzerman's prolific career earned him piles of awards. He was a 10-time all-star. He also captured the Lester B. Pearson Award honouring the league's outstanding player (as voted by the players) in 1989, the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP in 1998 and helped Canada win gold at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

One of Detroit's most popular professional athletes and affectionately known as The Captain, the soft-spoken Yzerman is the Red Wings' all-time leader in playoff scoring. He ranks first in assists and second only to Howe in games played, goals and points in the regular season.

He also finished last season with more career regular-season and playoff points than any active NHL player.

In 1,514 career games, Yzerman recorded 692 goals and 1063 assists for 1,755 points — good enough for sixth on the all-time NHL points list, just 16 behind fifth-place Marcel Dionne.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/07/03/yzerman-retirement.html

i thought he;'d be back as he spent the last shift of game 6 on the bench against the oilers.
ii mean if you mr detroit as he was would you wanna be on the ice for the last shift of your last game
i guess not
ah well i cant say im sorry to see him go he was a great player but its detroit so i didnt care for him much

Last edited:
Steve Yzerman is a class act who will be sorely missed in the Motor City; he is the epitomy of blue-collar workmanship, selflessness, and just an all-around good guy. He was a special player when I first met him in Ontario in the early 80s (just knew he was going to be a star), and he has certainly had himself a Hall of Fame career.

I am by no means a Hockey fan, but do believe Steve Yzerman is one of the best players to represent Hockey. He is a star for the game, and his off-ice life is one to be admired as well! He was well respected in an often turmoiled Detroit City. But he was big in all of Michigan, and even in The whole U.S. and Canada!

Here is to wishing Mr. Yzerman, a well deserved happy retirement from playing Hockey! :hatsoff:

The Captian Steve Yzerman Retires

riffjim4069 said:
Jimbos, perhaps you should change the title of this thread...after reading it my first thought was, "What the heck is Tennille going do without the Captain?":rolleyes:

Hmmmm, possibly a good point, I never thought of that , but obviously
someone has !!!

I figured most hockey fans would recognize the quote, but maybe thats because us here in Hockeytown area just well... ...understand that :up

Problem is , I have no idea how to change the original title of the thread, I was ablre to place one above this thread, but don't know how to do the other one, can anyone else do it ?

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Hmmmm, possibly a good point, I never thought of that , but obviously
someone has !!!

I figured most hockey fans would recognize the quote, but maybe thats because us here in Hockeytown area just well... ...understand that :up

Problem is , I have no idea how to change the original title of the thread, I was ablre to place one above this thread, but don't know how to do the other one, can anyone else do it ?

Jimbo
Although I'm a Hockey/Red Wing fanatic, the sad reality is that Hockey is even less popular than soccer south of the Mason-Dixon line. Back when we were kids, there was always a backyard hockey rink or two in the neighborhood, and there was always a nearby frozen pond of lake in which to strap on a pair of skates. I guess it's hard to identify with a sport that's not part of your childhood memories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts