The courtesy equipments credits are over.. now what?

I just got a quote from Directv for Choice Extra.. 3 HDTV DVR and one HD receiver with the ability to watch recorded shows on all receivers. The total cost is $397

If you order it online, make sure to go through Microsoft's BING Cashback program and save additional 40% (or $239 up front cost)

So it looks like it's Goodbye Dishnetwork (after 10 years) and hello Directv!

I got an email from BING saying that the Cashback program was ending.

Dear valued cashback customer:

We are writing to notify you that the Bing cashback program will be discontinued, and the last day to earn cash back on your Bing Shopping purchases will be July 30, 2010.

Until July 30, 2010 9:00 pm PST, it's business as usual so continue to take advantage of great offers from your favorite merchants. You can redeem all of your earned cashback savings consistent with the cashback terms and conditions and access the Bing cashback customer support system through July 30, 2011. We encourage you to redeem your cashback savings and to further support redemption, we are waiving the $5 minimum payout effective July 31, 2010. To assist with prompt delivery of your cashback earnings, please visit http://cashbackaccount.bing.com to ensure your account information is current. For more details and answers to your questions, please visit our frequently asked questions page.

Thank you very much for being a loyal cashback user. We remain committed to delivering great value to our customers, and we are currently working on an exciting new program which you will hear more about from us later this summer.

Sincerely,

Bing cashback team

Simply go to Bing.com and search for Directv. Click on the 'cashback' link and you will get 40% cash back for ordering Directv online.

Yes Bing Cashback program is ending on July 31st. So this offer is only good until then.

Simply go to Bing.com and search for Directv. Click on the 'cashback' link and you will get 40% cash back for ordering Directv online.

Yes Bing Cashback program is ending on July 31st. So this offer is only good until then.

Does the 40% show anywhere before placing the order? I get to the Directv ordering page but don't see any mention of the 40% from Bing.

You should first have a BING cash back account. Before being redirected to Directv's website, it should get an online confirmation about the 40% discount.

You will get it back later back from Microsoft. It's not an instant discount reflected on Directv's bill.

I just got a quote from Directv for Choice Extra.. 3 HDTV DVR and one HD receiver with the ability to watch recorded shows on all receivers. The total cost is $397

If you order it online, make sure to go through Microsoft's BING Cashback program and save additional 40% (or $239 up front cost)

So it looks like it's Goodbye Dishnetwork (after 10 years) and hello Directv!

Just make sure you realize how much the programming cost increases after two years. I think the base fee is $64 for that package.

On my latest bill shows:

Receiver Credit 6 of 6 -10.00
Loyalty Credit 6 of 6 -6.00

That means my next will increase by $16. With 4 HD-DVR in my house, I'm spending $17 x 3 = $42 on monthly equipments fee, even though I've PURCHASED all of them myself!

On the latest Directv's comparative ads, they makes an obvious mention that Directv only charge $5 for extra receiver while Dish charges up to $17.

It's been 6 months since the the outrageous equipment fee increase, what has DISH done to make high end customers like myself feel more 'loyal'?

What are all these loyalty credits you guys are talking about, I have been with DN since Jan 1999 and the only thing I ever got was free HBO/SHOWTIME for 3 months once. They did recently upgrade me to a 1000.4 but they are doing that to everyone who cannot get the new HD channels.

Let's compare apples to apples: Four dual tuner boxes means eight outputs. Direct only has single tuner boxes so you're talking $35 (seven additional receivers x $5) in additional receiver fees from direct.

The OP says he uses them in single tuner mode so he needs four outputs. If he were willing to switch to four 211s and pay the one time $40 conversion to DVR he could reduce his fees to $21 a month. It would be $15 for Direct.

In either case, Direct wins the receiver fee battle, but it's not nearly as lopsided as your original post makes it out to be.

Even if you assume that the OP needs 8 outputs, you are forgetting that all 8 of those boxes could be HD-DVRs and each would have its own hard drive. However, with Dish, only half will be in HD, the other are SD TV2, unless I misunderstand how the 622/722 work (1 HD output, 1 SD output), and there are only four hard drives for 8 TVs. Even if he went with 211s and hard drives, you have what amounts to a crippled DVR since it only can tune a single channel. A truly fair comparison would be VIP 612s, but that is not what the OP has. None of this takes into account D*'s whole home system. The fact remains that the VIPs are grossly overpriced for the features you get, and in a household with 3+ TVs the better deal equipment-wise is D*. However, on the plus side, Dish does make up for some of the equipment cost with a cheaper programming cost, though not all of the cost.

Let me also say that it pains me to say these things. I really liked Dish and what they offered, but ever since CNet gave them an editor's choice, they have been stuck in mud as far as standard equipment goes. I think if Dish does not step up to the table with a real whole home setup, or make the 922 standard, they could have some real problems. People are really attracted to a whole home DVR, and in 2010, it should be expected.

Last edited:
What are all these loyalty credits you guys are talking about, I have been with DN since Jan 1999 and the only thing I ever got was free HBO/SHOWTIME for 3 months once. They did recently upgrade me to a 1000.4 but they are doing that to everyone who cannot get the new HD channels.

Prior to Feb 1 if you had your receivers plugged into the phone jack then you received a $5.00 credit for your second and subsequent receiver. That "promotion" ended on Feb 1. DIsh "magnamoniusly" decided to give all those that were plugged in to the phone line prior to Feb 1 a credit for 6 months to ease the "pain" of the higher lease fees. They also added in a loyalty credit, not sure what the criteria was for that but I know I received it.
Of course if you only have one receiver it is moot. Also I would not say DIsh is upgrading everyone to WA or EA as I am still sitting here with a Hybrid 110/119/61.5 set up and have yet to be contacted by dish for my "free" upgrade... the majority of Dish subs in my neighborhood are in the same boat....

Ross

Dish went out on a limb this year with the outrageous receiver fees. It looks like the rest of the industry has not matched them, but now seems to be using it as a selling point. I wonder if Dish will be able to keep it up if DIRECTV keeps their fees low.

With whole house distribution with DIRECTV, something Dish is missing, it looks even worse.

I suspect the real story is that Dish expected to have a whole house DVR solution ready, and it got delayed, but the price increases went in anyways.

If you stick to one TV Dish is still competitive. The problem for Dish is that the higher end customer that buys the big profit packages has more than one HDTV and demands DVR access to them all. Dish quickly becomes expensive. Dish is essentially encouraging lower end customers content with one box. DIRECTV I am sure will be happy to take the higher end customers off of Dish's hands.

Also I would not say DIsh is upgrading everyone to WA or EA as I am still sitting here with a Hybrid 110/119/61.5 set up and have yet to be contacted by dish for my "free" upgrade... the majority of Dish subs in my neighborhood are in the same boat....

Ross

Well that set up is what they thought I had (I added 129 myself). I do not know how they establish priority but you should expect a call eventually. I sub to the Platinum pkg, HD for Life, and AEP so maybe that has something to do with getting the EA "early" plus being a sub for over 10 years.

A DNS tech two days ago told me that DN is coming out with a TV2 HD box. Not sure if his source was reliable.

So similar to a 622/722 with two TV outs, just now both HD? Will that not require running an HDMI cable to both? Or can it be done over coax? If it doesn't require a cable such as HDMI or component, and it has 4 HD tuners in it, I think that could be a winner. Otherwise, it is pretty much just as limited as the current boxes.

So similar to a 622/722 with two TV outs, just now both HD? Will that not require running an HDMI cable to both? Or can it be done over coax? If it doesn't require a cable such as HDMI or component, and it has 4 HD tuners in it, I think that could be a winner. Otherwise, it is pretty much just as limited as the current boxes.

It is sling over ethernet. I suspect it will also work over their home plug.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't $17 x 3 = $51, thereby making it even more expensive ? :eek:

OMG.. you're right!!! yuck! $51 !!!

But I just found out DTV HD receivers don't have OTA capability... ops! That's a big problem!

Dish is essentially encouraging lower end customers content with one box. DIRECTV I am sure will be happy to take the higher end customers off of Dish's hands.

That is what I have been saying. Dish is alienating their highest revenue customers. DirecTV is substantially less expensive for multi HD DVR customers.

Dish went out on a limb this year with the outrageous receiver fees. It looks like the rest of the industry has not matched them, but now seems to be using it as a selling point. I wonder if Dish will be able to keep it up if DIRECTV keeps their fees low.

With whole house distribution with DIRECTV, something Dish is missing, it looks even worse.

I suspect the real story is that Dish expected to have a whole house DVR solution ready, and it got delayed, but the price increases went in anyways.

If you stick to one TV Dish is still competitive. The problem for Dish is that the higher end customer that buys the big profit packages has more than one HDTV and demands DVR access to them all. Dish quickly becomes expensive. Dish is essentially encouraging lower end customers content with one box. DIRECTV I am sure will be happy to take the higher end customers off of Dish's hands.

I agree and I hope DISH 's numbers start to show the loss of high end subs and returned dvr receivers. DISH should of never gave up their advantage with the low priced additional receiver fees. At $5.00 it was even, at $7.00 it was still okay ,but at $17.00 it is just plain GREED and OBSCENE ! DISH can not possibly sell their low priced leader campaign and charge these prices. After all most DISH subs are on beer budgets and do not or want , nor can they afford the champagne taste of these high additional receiver fees.

The killer part of the $17.00 fee is that it is made up of Fees that DISH created and no one else has. Additional receiver $7.00 + $5.00 Tv 2 connection fee + $5.98 dvr fee = $17.00. Who else in the industry has a tv 2 connection fee? And DISH claims you pay one dvr fee per account , but they are still clearly charging you for the extra dvr fee per dual tuner dvr on your account. I can see it now when they come out with the hd media extender or sling extender. It will come with a Sling tv 2 fee of $5.00 or more per extra extender.

Possible? And cheapest way?

Dish Network & DirecTV together

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)