The days of $7.99 Netflix may be over....

Yes. But, if they can not get OTA and watch much of the big four and PBS,CW, etc.. it's a good deal and much of it can not as easily be watched online.
If they can get OTA, then those with the lowest package is the prime target for online only anyway - they aren't watching much.

The funny thing is my friends with kids all use netflix more than cable with the kids.... namely because they don't care about watching the newest episodes so netflix's vast collection of older kids shows works out better.

And what you are wanting to do is exactly what I am doing.... dropped down to Dish America until next September. But part of the problem here is the ridiculous equipment fees. I have a 3 room hopper/joey system and the equipment fees alone add $25 to my bill each month which imo is the real issue with cable/sat tv pricing, the programming costs really aren't that bad. But you can't easily put the equipment on hold for the summer months.... made even worse because every other service (netflix, hulu, google play, aereo, simple.tv) do not charge for each additional tv I have. Was really hoping the virtual joey would be done in a similar way but sadly that doesn't look to be the case.

Comcast here charges right at $10 for HD access, and if you have HD you get charged $10 for the HD box. So $20 just for HD alone and their equivalent to AT 250 $78 per month. So by the time you add it up, right at $100 dollars. The if you have internet hopefully like me you can get their performance (25 meg) internet for $30 dollars plus a $7 charge for a wireless gateway. Now you are up to around $137 per month. That is 1 box and internet. If you have more boxes it is another $10 for each one.

Comcast here charges right at $10 for HD access, and if you have HD you get charged $10 for the HD box. So $20 just for HD alone and their equivalent to AT 250 $78 per month. So by the time you add it up, right at $100 dollars. The if you have internet hopefully like me you can get their performance (25 meg) internet for $30 dollars plus a $7 charge for a wireless gateway. Now you are up to around $137 per month. That is 1 box and internet. If you have more boxes it is another $10 for each one.

Why pay them for a wireless gateway (router)? In 4 months perhaps 5,you could have bought a very decent router of your own.

Why does Netflix have to single handedly take out the entire industry to stay successful? I think their current business model is working great. I'm not sure why they need to change it to be more like the old providers. The fact that they are different is the reason they are so successful.

I agree. Their model seems to be working well. I for one am hooked because of the tv series the have plus House of Cards. That is premium entertainment like HBO or Showtime airs. So for 7.99 ( at least right now) I can pop some popcorn, eat candy, drink a coke, and watch a movie or tv series in HD on my surround sound system and come out a Heck of a lot cheaper than going to my local movie theater. Still for brand new releases, I might once in a while go to the movies as a treat, but I can also rent them from Redbox when they come out on disk. Heck, I can even watch a dvd from my collection for free.

Ohio is where I grew up. Gotta love their eagerness to tax, and it's a foaming-at-the-mouth Republican state, too! Wasn't Ohio one of the first to have a satellite tax? I don't miss anything about Ohio except square-cut pizza (Donato's/Cassano's anyone?!) :popcorn

Donatos rules!! Love their pepperoni pizza with onion!! I lived in Columbus for 10 years!!

Why pay them for a wireless gateway (router)? In 4 months perhaps 5,you could have bought a very decent router of your own.

True, but I was told if something happened with my router, I would have to sign up for their technical service...$15 extra a month. Im not super technical. I know how to reset and what not but that is about it.

Netflix better be careful with that idea,Amazon Prime could gain a lot of subscribers.
Well Amazon Prime just raised its price too. Myself, I would be willing to pay a dollar or two more per month for Netflix. It would still beat a $100 cable or satellite bill.

True, but I was told if something happened with my router, I would have to sign up for their technical service...$15 extra a month. Im not super technical. I know how to reset and what not but that is about it.

I see,just trying to help ya save a buck or two.If you decide to go with your own router,lots of information on the net,plus I'm sure several of us here could help.

Well Amazon Prime just raised its price too. Myself, I would be willing to pay a dollar or two more per month for Netflix. It would still beat a $100 cable or satellite bill.

True,but its still only comes to $8.25 per month,at $99 per year.So again,if I were netflix,I wouldn't be jumping from $8 to $12 or more,they don't offer free shipping.;)

Most modern consumer grade routers that you can get today have really easy setup and don't require a lot of technical expertise. And if you do have any problems there are a lot of places online to get help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)