The DEATH of my 508...

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
Sometime back in 2005, I purchased a 508 DVR. I thoroughly enjoyed using it over the last 7 years. Last night as I hopped in bed with the wife, snuggling up to watch some recordings, I get the dreaded msg that something is wrong and that dvr functions are no longer available.

So we just turn on a show and fall asleep. I wake up in the morning, unplug the unit from the wall before leaving for work. Of course, I get home this afternoon and plug the system back in and still the same msg.

Now, the wife is upset because she cant record her "shows" and now I'm stuck in a dilemma. To pay for DVR service or not. I do have a 211k on the main tv, but I dont wanna move that to the bedroom where it's not an hdtv and loose the picture quality on the main tv.

Sometimes making a decision on what to do is hard. Oh well, I just wanted to vent.

Thanks for listening!

I believe only if they failed, or you were going to the EA did you have to lose a 508/501/510....

To the OP, will you please send me a PM with your phone number or account number? The 508 is now subject to a DVR fee, but when we made the change we also issued a credit of $6 off each month for 24 months to cover the increase. You are likely receiving this credit, so getting a 512 shouldn't change your monthly rate.

I thought Dish upgraded folks from a 501/508/510 to a 512 or something like that a while back

It's a passive swap, meaning we only replace it with an 8PSK receiver if we have a tech come out, or if it fails.

If you want to stay SD have MATTG upgrade you to a 512 and continue as you have been. If you are smart work out a deal with MATTG for another 211 then pay the 1 time $40 fee and make both into DVRs without monthly DVR fees.

They told me no swap for my 508. So I bought a 211 myself. Then when I activated it they zapped my grandfathered no locals plan. I now get to pay an extra $5 a month for one HD and one SD local channel. :rolleyes:

I'd passed on the "free" Sling adapter, and several "free" premium promos in the past for fear of losing it. They got me anyway.

Seems they have slowed down on the swap outs for the 501/508/510 series.We recently upgraded a br tv to a hd set.Had been using a 501 for years,but all good things must end.Swapped out a 211 for the 501 got it for free but,we did have to renew our contract for 2yrs.Next thing is to try and find a sweet deal on a ehd.

They told me no swap for my 508. So I bought a 211 myself. Then when I activated it they zapped my grandfathered no locals plan. I now get to pay an extra $5 a month for one HD and one SD local channel. :rolleyes:

I'd passed on the "free" Sling adapter, and several "free" premium promos in the past for fear of losing it. They got me anyway.

I am aware of people getting a discount for not having all the locals. You should talk to a DIRT member.

Well, I found a deal on a new VIP211k so I ordered it and it should be here next week sometime. Still contemplating the 40$ one time fee. Will have to talk with the wife to see if she wants to that or not.

Well, I found a deal on a new VIP211k so I ordered it and it should be here next week sometime. Still contemplating the 40$ one time fee. Will have to talk with the wife to see if she wants to that or not.

I can't believe you have to check with your wife......

Uh oh - have to go Wife is home, I'm supposed to be doing chores..........................................................

Tampa8 said:
I can't believe you have to check with your wife......

Uh oh - have to go Wife is home, I'm supposed to be doing chores..........................................................

Happy wife, happy life. Let us not forget that. :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts