This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The deformed Dish picture

Georgi

Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Sorry,if it was discussed already.But it irritates me a lot when even after newly introduced HD channels (like History HD and others)on Dish I mostly see big butted short deformed people on the screen. Ugly vertically squeezed or horizontally stretched creatures in the stretched world .Same with TBS HD,TNT HD,A&E HD etc. Are Dish engineers and program directors completely stupid or just shameless?Is this a Dish HD at its best?!
Georgi.

It's not Dish Network's fault, that's what the providers send to them and that's what we get. TNT has been known for this and now all these new channels are doing the same thing.

Check

Try setting the 4:3/16:9 button or the resolution. Might fix it If i doesnt call dish and whine

Any chance of DISH creating an update that will stretch the screen vertically instead of just horizontally?

Any chance of DISH creating an update that will stretch the screen vertically instead of just horizontally?
Cool! Then we could have stretch-o-stretch-o-vision. I'll bet that would look mighty nice!

Original aspect ratio is the only way to go if you care about quality. Except all these stupid broadcasters don't want to go that way. I don't understand their thought process.

HGTV is doing the opposite too, I've noticed a couple of their shows are squished horizontally now :|

TLC HD seems to do some "half" streach-o-vision. They'll streach, or perhaps just zoom, it a bit but still leave a bit of black space on each side. It doesn't look all that bad.

TLC/Discovery/etc. use a partial stretch with zoom to keep 4:3 in OAR and still fill most of the screen. You end up losing a little off the top and more off the bottom, but it's not too bad. Much, much better than stretch-o-vision.

The stretch comes from the stations, not dish. i use the tv to go to 4x3 mode when on either of them that stretch the 4x3 programs. looks a heck of a lot better than the sd version of the same channel.

just my $0.02

Yeah, whatever those Discovery Channels (Science, TLC, Ani, and Disc) are going is the best compromise that I've seen yet. Yeah, I know its still SD, sure its zoomed enough that on screen credits are sometime cropped off the screen. But the PQ looks decent.

Compare that to TBS-HD showing the Office and I might as well be stretching their Bit starved SD channel.