What provides the best and cleanest picture

H2Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
Santa Fe
I have a HDMI to RF converter and also an HDMI to RCA Video converter also.

Here's what I want to do, I have a Wally Receiver and would like to put an HDMI port duplicator on it to feed either a HDMI-RF converter or RCA video.
These signals will be run over RG-6 cable to a TV/Receiver about 50 feet away. I can use a second Wally remote in the other room to control the remote wally.

If I send RF to the second TV I will obviously use the Antenna/Cable input, if I use the RCA Video I will use the Video/Audio input. Either configuration would be easy to do, I just want the best picture, Comments, suggestions?

I wanted to add a bit more detail, the big problem with using the RCA video/audio jacks is for one I don't know if they work if something is plugged into the HDMI port and also, it would require 2 RG-6 coax runs, one for the video, the other for the audio. The HDMI-RF converter would be much easier as I would simply plug into the duplicator and just plug the coax into the tv and select a tv channel. I may just drag the spare TV where the wally is and do some testing. Thought if someone else has already done this why re-invent the wheel. lol

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wanted to add a bit more detail, the big problem with using the RCA video/audio jacks is for one I don't know if they work if something is plugged into the HDMI port and also, it would require 2 RG-6 coax runs, one for the video, the other for the audio. The HDMI-RF converter would be much easier as I would simply plug into the duplicator and just plug the coax into the tv and select a tv channel. I may just drag the spare TV where the wally is and do some testing. Thought if someone else has already done this why re-invent the wheel. lol
You can use both hdmi and rca but using any rf modulator whether with hdmi or rca e d up with a coax feed into the second TV thus it will always be standard definition. As long as it's good cable and connectors it will be clear, just standard def. If you want HD like on the main TV you will need to use an hdmi splitter then on second hdmi could use something like an hdmi over ethernet converter or could even use hdmi over sdi which is more reliable and can use coax.

I did know about hdmi over ethernet but did not know about hdmi over sdi which I will need to look into as it sounds superior. HDMI over ethernet I have read can be flaky and is really fussy about the type of ethernet cable used.
Thanks!

Is just leaving it HDMI a possibility? No, it won't reach according to "spec", but that's not necessarily "real world". Before investing in HDMI to Network or SDI converters, how about getting a 50' HDMI cable and try it out? Leave the cable in the coil and plug it in. If it doesn't work, return the cable.

Just a thought.

Is just leaving it HDMI a possibility? No, it won't reach according to "spec", but that's not necessarily "real world". Before investing in HDMI to Network or SDI converters, how about getting a 50' HDMI cable and try it out? Leave the cable in the coil and plug it in. If it doesn't work, return the cable.

Just a thought.
To speak on that, Amazon has great deals on long run fiber optic HDMI cables, I used a 50 ft one for a time, worked great.

To speak on that, Amazon has great deals on long run fiber optic HDMI cables, I used a 50 ft one for a time, worked great.
I was just thinking about suggesting that as I have a couple of 75 foot long ones in my system and the price is very reasonable on them.

Just a thought.
Leaving the cable in a coil could potentially induce signal degradation. I know it does for RG-6.

If it does not work while coiled, it may actually work when stretched out. I had my coax from the Dish satellite coiled behind the TV after I moved it (cable was about ten feet too long) and there was no signal. I cut the cable to length and put a new compression end on it and voila there's the picture. Lesson learned.

If it does not work while coiled, it may actually work when stretched out.
I'm having a hard time understanding this. The whole point of coax is to keep the signal inside the shield, unlike twinlead. :eeek One loop of coax should not affect another loop.

Just a thought.
Great idea Sam, unfortunately I would need to install the actual HDMI cable which would be nearly impossible in finished walls. I do have Cat 5E and RG-6 coax already there so that's why I was looking to go that route. Thanks for the idea though!

I'm having a hard time understanding this. The whole point of coax is to keep the signal inside the shield, unlike twinlead. :eeek One loop of coax should not affect another loop.
Perhaps some other phenomenon was at work with my Dish coax. There may have been some SWR in that cabling that caused a problem because these guys say coiling coax does not cause a choke effect. Interesting read.

If the cable is too long it will not power the dish properly. It was probably more of a length issue rather than being coiled.
The cable was no more than 40 ft long from the switch under the eave of the house and after I uncoiled it laying it around the living room floor(before shortening), the signal came back.

Picture quality works like this:
HDMI which can handle up to 4K/8K is superior to Component which can still handle 1080i/p HD, then you have S-Video which is 625 lines which is superior to Composite aka RCA which is around 480 lines which is still better than RF. Sony which is both the one who produces the videos as in Sony/Columbia pictures and also playback as in their TVs has this:

You can always do it with one run of Belden 7710A cable which is a bundled SDI grade of 3x1694A RG-6 sized cables that can handle up to 6Ghz which would handle both the audio and video but this is only if you want to really do it the RF way, otherwise the HDMI to ethernet or something else is cheaper and probably better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)