The "Dish Moving" popup on the screen

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I've seen it brought up a few times now from folks who just got their MicroHD and it has to do with the "moving dish" popup on the screen. Folks have reported it as a bug or a feature change

I noted it right away when I got mine in the review and Brian did respond at the time. Here is that snippet

One thing that really bugs me is there is a "moving dish" popup that shows up no matter what you do. I know some receivers have it but most that popup leaves right away. This stays up for 15 seconds unless you hit "exit" before that. This shows up if you go into the transponder list and antenna setup. I understand if you are going from say 83W to 91W but why when you are on 91W already and you want to blind scan it does that popup when you hit OK to scan? The only time it is rather quick is when you power it on for the first time. It only shows up for about 2 seconds. I know my Coolsat 5000 only does it for a couple seconds but I’m still using version 1.00 software. Anything else (including the factory 3rd party stuff) has that popup too for longer.
This is what SatelliteAv sent back to me about it
"Dish Moving" - It also drives me nuts! We are working on this irritant so the display will leave after 3 or 4 seconds, but their are other functions hard coded by ALI that is making this very difficult. If the display is programmed to disappear earlier, there is currently no way to prevent he next step of the process from starting. There are no time place holders without the display. The result is if the display is removed early, the next event step starts. What happens for example is that if in a scan mode, the scan is initiated prior to the dish landing on the target satellite. I have been playing with displaying a blank screen, but this can confuse the user as you still must either press exit to skip to the next step or wait. If the user does not visually see that a motor move event command is still waiting to time out, the RCU would not function until the exit button was pressed or the event times out. It is totally a ALI coding issue that we are fighting a work around

The easiest fix right now it to hit "exit" when it pops up. The motor still will move properly :)

In normal usage there is no reason to have the "moving dish" display or delay at all. You will get video once the satellite motor is done moving.I would agree that the delay is required when doing things like a blind scan to avoid missing transponders. Perhaps a flag in the software to defeat the display and delay step when just changing channels, leaving the display and delay step for all configuration operations.

In normal usage there is no reason to have the "moving dish" display or delay at all. You will get video once the satellite motor is done moving.I would agree that the delay is required when doing things like a blind scan to avoid missing transponders. Perhaps a flag in the software to defeat the display and delay step when just changing channels, leaving the display and delay step for all configuration operations.

Agreed! I've been nagged by this all afternoon as I scan in my sats.
I don't see a need for it other than entering a scanning session. Can anyone else see why it needs to be there.

I say put an option to disable it. No need for me either.

Only real use would be the blind scanning. But if I am on 120 or so and want to scan 70 anyways it is going to take a while to move there. Much longer than the nag screen. I would go into the sat setup screen and go let it move first. This is what I always did with other receivers.

I have a suggestion for a new feature on the blind scan screen if the moving dish nag can be removed.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Yeah! If you were on a ku sat last, when scolling down with no page up or page down button motorized dishes must b jerking all over.
Some how need command it to move, not move automatically while scrolling through sats. A quick flash on the screen would be sufficient.
Of course sometimes it doesn't come up on mine. Don't know if is certain sats or what.

AL

Ouch. I thought this irritant would be gone when I switched from my S9 to the microHD. With my S9, when I start moving quickly through remote functions, it sometimes seems like half my actions include pushing the exit button to get rid of the dish moving display. Pretty frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)