The end of Analog TV as we know it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
it's the end of Analog TV, hurray! :)

Yes they've proposed to change the legislation from having the analog shutoff date from December 31, 2006 in markets that have 85% of OTA viewers on digital to just a hard shut off date of December 31, 2006. I think it's excellent and what HD viewers need to move this transition along and promote better programming etc...

I'm already writing a letter to my senator asking for him to support this and everyone else should do the same

I don't expect much from the Government on this issue. They have fumbled the ball up to now. Until this year, no DTV sets under $1K, no ATSC tuners standard in any DTV sets, ATSC STBs priced at $400+, and NTSC TVs still flying off the shelves like they will run forever.

Now we will get a multi-year delay and government subsidized digital tuners. I can hardly wait!

You'll have to trust me on this....I have a rather long working relationship with the FCC and if they don't move the analog date back, I'll eat a bug.

Some of us have watched in utter amazement in their care of AM Stereo, and HD Radio. Most of the stations under market 20, are not near ready. You'll find almost half of them are operating their digital signals at the lowest point allowed by law.

These owners will scream...the NAB will lobby...and FCC will stop looking for indecency. long enough to give them all another year.

Faith in goverment? You bet. I have absolute faith that the FCC will screw this up. We'll all get All HD...All the time....by not before 2008. When the administration will change...and we'll wait some more.

If they don't push the date back they at least need to include cable and satellite households in a TV market as part of the 85% loophole.

I guess I'd be happy with that and December 31, 2009 as the end all date of analog. But if a market has 85% of cable/satellite and digital ota viewers, then the analog must die. But that wont do anything at the national level, so it neds to be something national. So here's hoping that congress can get the December 31, 2006 passed.

I don't know why you guys are so happy about the demise of analog. I record OTA analog quite often and I have to tell you, many shows look better via analog than through a sub-digital channel. Shows like The Amazing Race & Survivor are much more clear via analog on my big screen. Plus when analog goes dead, my DVR won't have an EPG.

DarrellP said:
I don't know why you guys are so happy about the demise of analog. I record OTA analog quite often and I have to tell you, many shows look better via analog than through a sub-digital channel. Shows like The Amazing Race & Survivor are much more clear via analog on my big screen. Plus when analog goes dead, my DVR won't have an EPG.
Amen DarrellP. To some friends amazement I have shown them the same thing. I believe that analog will not go dark any time soon. However what happens to all my satellite equipment when I can't purchase an analog tv any more? Current sd receivers do not transmit a digital signal.

Most stations will not go full power digital until forced to when they can afford it. Its the digital age not the analog age. It has to be forced or it will take a long time if ever before analog is gone.

Hmm,

So in short, the progression to Digital TV is being heldback by the poor folk who can't save $100-$200 since the announcement some time ago.

Sounds more like a cop out than a viable explaination.

Kryspy

Kryspy said:
Hmm,

So in short, the progression to Digital TV is being heldback by the poor folk who can't save $100-$200 since the announcement some time ago.

Sounds more like a cop out than a viable explaination.

Kryspy
Actually the FCC and the congress are looking across the Atlantic at Germany and their test in Berlin. From the sale of the analog channels, a subsidy was granted to pay for digitital converter boxes for those who depended on OTA and did not have cable or other means. From what I have read, it has been successful. But I agree, they will count the Satellite subs and cable subs as part of the 85%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)