The Event

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Not a bad start. Was confused at first with the jumping around, but about half way through I was able to piece the parts together.

I'm thinking the VP and the other guy are going to have to explain to the President & Secret Service just why they happened to "disappear" just before the plane headed their way.

It reminded me a little too much of Flash Forward. Lot's of interesting pieces, but will they ever put them together? I'll give it another shot or two.

I agree, not a bad start. The pacing was good. Like you I was a little confused at the beginning but the ending gave you a hint that something big is going on. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes to see if the plot develops well.

I do have a couple of questions for programs like this. While Lost was successful with multiple stories lines in the past, present, and future; other shows have not been successful (at least in the ratings). I'm thinking of Flash Forward and Life On Mars as two examples. What makes NBC think they can be successful with this format especially for broadcast TV which has little patience for a show to find an audience?

Also, while Lost had good ratings for first run showings it did terrible in syndication (though DVD sales were good). So why make another series like Lost? CBS seems to have a good model with most of their programs. Each show stands alone with just a little thread to link them together. Most of their programs have had success in both first run and syndication.

Please don't take me wrong, I hope The Event succeeds, but I was just wondering about these questions.

Same here, I didn´t like the going back and forth in time, I for one don´t like that kind of format and I´d rather have a straight time line in any show or movie.

I guess I´m still confused as how this guy ended up piloting the plane, I think this show looks kind of promising, I guess time will tell.....

I guess I´m still confused as how this guy ended up piloting the plane, I think this show looks kind of promising, I guess time will tell.....
He's a pilot for the airline, notice how the co-pilot recognized him. The bad guys probably knocked off the pilot on duty, and the father was on call for the flight. They were able to blackmail him instead of the original pilot on duty.

Not big on the flash back /flash forward stuff, but enjoying it so far. Didn't have my total attention watching it (too many things going on right now), so I will watch it one more time to try to fill in the gaps.

Of course, since this is an NBC show, I expect it will be wasted time, since we'll be lucky if it lasts 13 weeks.

He's a pilot for the airline, notice how the co-pilot recognized him. The bad guys probably knocked off the pilot on duty, and the father was on call for the flight. They were able to blackmail him instead of the original pilot on duty.

Thanks for that feedback, now I think I got that part,

Anyone else has the hunch that the plot will involve some kind of "alien" or "weird" factor ?

What I liked, is how they fooled you into thinking the guy in the black SUV was after the main character, but it turned out he was after the pilot.

I almost gave the show the boot 1/2 way through with all the jumping around. If future episodes continue this, I will give it the boot.

The thing about the episode that drove me the most insane is that the rush the President out to the limo and then just sit there with the door open as he watches a plane come strait for him. If they are going to do completely insane things like that it will turn me off the show faster than anything. How did the wife and kid end up in there? What President takes his family (especially kids) to press events?

Odd that I can handle things like planes disappearing in mid air but not sympathy plays like the President & family hanging out in the limo to watch the event without even trying to leave.

My theory about the prisoners in AK is that they are the people that were on the flight. They went back in time or something and are refusing to talk about it.

Well they could be from a parallel universe, which would raise an interesting legal question, but the reason I suggested the future is because the government was apparently trying to get information out of them and they weren't cooperating. Someone from the future (assuming that there's only one future in whatever theory of time travel is in use, of course) would be a valuable source of information.

If they came from the future due to some freak natural event, there's no reason to assume they came from America. If they came by their own engineering, there's no reason to assume that the technology was developed in America. As a matter of fact, one real-world conspiracy theory holds that, because it's the most advanced nation in the world, America is deliberately ignoring and sometimes actively suppressing research into any kind of gravitational/hyperspatial/paranormal engineering in order to protect its fossil fuel industries.

Ya'll sure are speculating a whole lot about something that was Hinted about in the first episode. It would be very cool if they were from the future or from a parallel universe ,but I wouldn't even try to guess about that right now. It is too soon. As for the jumping around and the president looking at the plane coming down. It was done in slow mo to enhance the dramatic scene and to unveil the twist that no one saw coming. The worm hole that appeared out of no where and sucked the plane out of the sky. I liked this show and felt that it kept me on the edge of my seat through out. I am looking forward to watching more of this one show. It was like a movie in it's intensity and pace. I do hope that they stop the repeating of scenes done from everyone's different perspective, as it will grow old really fast. But for the first episode it was needed to tell us where everyone stood and what their motivations were .

I must admit I´m intrigued by this show, I was reviewing it and I´ve come up with the conclusion that those guys in Alaska are aliens, based on clues like "They may not be americans", when the plane disappears Sophia says "They have helped us", and The event "warn them so that they can prepare" I think it has to be something like an invasion or an impending catastrophe that will affect the planet.

Guess I´ll have to wait and see. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts