The Future of HD for Dish?

Viewership ratings of RedSox games (and that is just one example) are higher than the total viewership at any one time of ALL VOOM channels combined. The numbers just don't lie.

You are right they dont lie. But they dont tell the full truth either. I assume you mean that when any particular game is on more people are watching that 3 hr block vs the largest total viewers for any other 3 hr block for Voom. Thats fair and I think you would be right. But only for when the game is on. But how about the total numbers for the rest of the week 24/7? If there were Red Sox were on 24/7 (some new games but mostly repeats... like Voom) then the comparison would be fairer for the long term.

The Red Sox 24/7 channel vs the 24/7 Voom channels. Lets get ready to rumble!

Voom channels are a hidden treasure most people don't know about. The more people who get a look at Voom, the more people like Voom. Of course they aren't clammering for it, they don't know they want it. Most of the clammering around here is for sports, sports, and more sports.

That's why you think everyone wants to watch the RedSox 24/7 because that's all you hear. Everyone knows the RedSox are gonna choke and lose so they tune in to the train wreck because they know about it. BTW: I just watched an outstanding film on Voom about the 2003 season of the Red Sox.

Yes, Yes, I know... watch whatever you like and be happy. I already do. But I also like to sprinkle a little truth amongst the DirecTV drum beating you do over here in the DISH NETWORK threads. ;)

You are right they dont lie. But they dont tell the full truth either. I assume you mean that when any particular game is on more people are watching that 3 hr block vs the largest total viewers for any other 3 hr block for Voom. Thats fair and I think you would be right. But only for when the game is on. But how about the total numbers for the rest of the week 24/7? If there were Red Sox were on 24/7 (some new games but mostly repeats... like Voom) then the comparison would be fairer for the long term.

Look - once again I am not bashing VOOM - I am giving viewership ratings. The biggest reason for low ratings is that it is only available to a very limited number of people. That is the bigger issue - how come NO other provider has even 1 VOOM channel (not even Cablevsion)?

As far as NESN, or YES - I would still say that they have larger viewerships than any 1 VOOM channel at any time - but larger then VOOM in total when games are on.

Voom channels are a hidden treasure most people don't know about. The more people who get a look at Voom, the more people like Voom. Of course they aren't clammering for it, they don't know they want it. Most of the clammering around here is for sports, sports, and more sports.

That's why you think everyone wants to watch the RedSox 24/7 because that's all you hear. Everyone knows the RedSox are gonna choke and lose so they tune in to the train wreck because they know about it. BTW: I just watched an outstanding film on Voom about the 2003 season of the Red Sox.

Yes, Yes, I know... watch whatever you like and be happy. I already do. But I also like to sprinkle a little truth amongst the DirecTV drum beating you do over here in the DISH NETWORK threads. ;)

If you like it - great and enjoy. If VOOM is not well known by viewers - than shame on BOTH DISH & Rainbow networks. But is is known by CABLEVISON (and FiOS, and TWC, etc.) and none of them carry it. Not even 1 channel. That is also a truth isn't it?

Yeah Voom is great but it will be interesting to see what ""National Channels"" get their HD version of their channel up and running. Maybe toward the end of the year or 1st of next year we will see some New HD Channels. I read that several National Channels might have their HD Version of their channels up sometime in the near future. But we will all half to wait and see what they do.

Even I don't want a 24/7 Red Sox channel.

If VOOM is not well known by viewers - than shame on BOTH DISH & Rainbow networks. But is is known by CABLEVISON (and FiOS, and TWC, etc.) and none of them carry it. Not even 1 channel.

So that's two questions I have:

1. What is Dish doing with Voom to increase its presence?

2. Why was Firefly cancelled after only 13 eps?

I'm not sure about the answer to #1--but I did notice Voom playing on a lot of the TVs in the Sony Style store in Skokie the other day. Getting it onto TVs in places like CostCo, Sony Style, etc. is one thing. They should send mailers out to cable and DirectTV subs, too. To your point, Dish does need to get Voom out there more...and to the wives and children especially, there's a LOT they offer in that suite that expands HD programming past the JSP marketing base.

As for #2...blame it on the visionless suits that run the big networks. They've cancelled many of the good, truly unusual (groundbreaking) shows before their time over the last, oh, 40 years. Original Star Trek, Twin Peaks and Farscape are some others that come to mind. Fox really dropped the ball on 'Firefly'. No joke.

Thanks goodness Battlestar got enough press and enough of an audience to keep chugging--its eclipsing Lost as the best show on TV (with both critics and fans). By all measure of history that one should've gotten orphaned a long time ago as well.

So that's two questions I have:

1. What is Dish doing with Voom to increase its presence?

2. Why was Firefly cancelled after only 13 eps?

FireFly was canceled on Sfi-Fi Channel part plus it could not keep up with some of the other shows. Plus Sci-Fi had some new shows coming out this year as well.

Firefly was cancelled on Fox because of low ratings that always accompany new shows that are given horrible time slots and never promoted. I like sci-fi but I never even heard of the show until it was on the Sci-Fi channel. Also... really we dont know how well the show itself would have progressed over the long term. Maybe it would have gotten old and repetitive after awhile, which often happens to promising new shows.

As for BSG, we are going to have to wait almost a whole year to find out whether or not there are actually 4 new Cylons or if its a con job. Arg!

FireFly was canceled on Sfi-Fi Channel part plus it could not keep up with some of the other shows. Plus Sci-Fi had some new shows coming out this year as well.

Firefly aired first on Fox. It was cancelled due to low ratings . Fox did not even show all the episodes produced. Sci Fi may have rerun it but i don't think that they ever signed on to air original episodes. If they did I missed it completely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)