The future of satellite TV is unclear

That's the difference between older and younger generations.:biggrin
Only difference between the generations is they are younger than us. Many of today's generation can't believe that so many of us enjoy watching other people play sports (how is that different from watching other people play video games), my kids would rather participate in sports than watch.

Only difference between the generations is they are younger than us. Many of today's generation can't believe that so many of us enjoy watching other people play sports (how is that different from watching other people play video games), my kids would rather participate in sports than watch.
You have special kids...and not in a bad way

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Interesting conversation in this thread. What might the future media landscape might look like if the relationships between the big 4 broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC) and local OTA broadcasters were to break down? The big corporations that own the networks see the future, I think, in their own direct-to-consumer streaming platforms (Hulu, CBS All Access, etc.). One can imagine a future where the networks either break free of local OTA stations or they simply use those stations as mirrors of their free ad-supported streaming tier. (For instance, CBS is already exploring the idea of airing past seasons of CBS All Access original series like Star Trek: Discovery on CBS stations as a way to increase interest and subscribers in CBS All Access.) Hard to know how the economics of the industry will evolve, not to mention whatever Congress or the FCC might do to impact the current status quo.

But there will always be a need for local media -- news, weather, etc. reported by people who live in that location. Meanwhile, local newspapers are shutting down while major newspapers, such as NY Times and WSJ, venture into multimedia through websites, podcasts and video. Could the future be that cities have anywhere from one to four local media outlets, depending on size, with each doing a blend of video, audio and print reporting? And most of those outlets would be affiliated with a national news brand, such as CNN?

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Interesting conversation in this thread. What might the future media landscape might look like if the relationships between the big 4 broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC) and local OTA broadcasters were to break down? The big corporations that own the networks see the future, I think, in their own direct-to-consumer streaming platforms (Hulu, CBS All Access, etc.). One can imagine a future where the networks either break free of local OTA stations or they simply use those stations as mirrors of their free ad-supported streaming tier. (For instance, CBS is already exploring the idea of airing past seasons of CBS All Access original series like Star Trek: Discovery on CBS stations as a way to increase interest and subscribers in CBS All Access.) Hard to know how the economics of the industry will evolve, not to mention whatever Congress or the FCC might do to impact the current status quo.

But there will always be a need for local media -- news, weather, etc. reported by people who live in that location. Meanwhile, local newspapers are shutting down while major newspapers, such as NY Times and WSJ, venture into multimedia through websites, podcasts and video. Could the future be that cities have anywhere from one to four local media outlets, depending on size, with each doing a blend of video, audio and print reporting? And most of those outlets would be affiliated with a national news brand, such as CNN?

With the squeezing of the OTA spectrum, now down to channel 38, with ATSC 3.0 on the horizon, maybe the 4 main nets will show up on one OTA channel in each market.

What will happen is the demise of multiple local broadcasters, excepting in the very large market stations. Some markets already have it where one set of reporters are on multiple local networks and there are other markets where the broadcast is a mashup of several networks.

There just will not be enough advertising or carriage dollars to support the multiple overhead expenses.
In our area of southeast Texas (Beaumont/Pt. Arthur) we have two companies that own all the networks. So Channel 4 Fox and channel 6 CBS is owned by the same company and Channel 12.1 ABC and 12.2 NBC is owned by the same company. So the news is the same on both channels that runs CBS and Fox and the same news for ABC and NBC. Used to be 4 separate companies before they changed the rules about companies owning more than one channel in the same dma.

Yet, nobody has brought up the cost. I pay Dish $40 each month for the Welcome Pack and my HWS. But, I pay the local Cox cable company $83.99 for my internet connection. I watch most of my tv on the local networks recorded on my TiVo. I only watch about 5 of the Dish channels from my Welcome pack. They are going to get your money one way or the other. I also subscribe to Consumer Reports online and Sound and Vision online. I no longer get hard copies in the mail. Most of my bills are sent directly to the bank and they email me a notice, so I can go pay them online.

People want their news I read my news on my TV,facebook, Twitter I no longer read my news in our newspaper more and more folks are reading their news on the internet by the time you get your news to a paper it's way over with
You're relying on FB & Twitter for your news? Yea, that's a good idea. There's no slanted reporting or incorrect facts on those platforms. While some newspapers have gone away, many have also adjusted to providing content online, because that's a better delivery method for them. Local news and entertainment will still be desired by many. Local weather will still be desired by many. With severe storms where minutes count when it comes to warnings, you can't beat the immediacy of local broadcasters.

Come post in 50 years and we'll see if local broadcasting has totally gone away.

BTW, I just saw a chart yesterday that showed satellite and cable penetration is dropping while OTA viewers are rising. That's a result of cord cutting.

“Local” broadcasting might get redefined. Chicago office may insert Hicksville weather and news for Hicksville, etc for other towns. But one team doing it in Chicago.

I think this has already begun- I just expect them to get better at it. Maybe no local reporter, but a remote droid or something, maybe delivered to the news scene by something like Uber. Or the self driving vehicle that gets itself to the scene, and calls over the on scene commander to remotely interview.

And THEN, picture an AI reporter interviewing an AI on scene commander.

ZQ! ZQ?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

“Local” broadcasting might get redefined. Chicago office may insert Hicksville weather and news for Hicksville, etc for other towns. But one team doing it in Chicago.

I think this has already begun- I just expect them to get better at it. Maybe no local reporter, but a remote droid or something, maybe delivered to the news scene by something like Uber. Or the self driving vehicle that gets itself to the scene, and calls over the on scene commander to remotely interview.

And THEN, picture an AI reporter interviewing an AI on scene commander.

ZQ! ZQ?

OK, think about what you wrote. Who exactly is doing the "Hickville" weather and news? The people in Hickville. And they're doing it from Hickville. The Chicago office doesn't have the range to get content to Hickville without, wait for it, local broadcasters.

Is it happening now? I guess sort of. Affiliates are carrying what network hands down (keep in mind for only 12/24 hours of the day). But those local affiliates are then inserting their own news/weather/entertainment shows.

OK, think about what you wrote. Who exactly is doing the "Hickville" weather and news? The people in Hickville. And they're doing it from Hickville. The Chicago office doesn't have the range to get content to Hickville without, wait for it, local broadcasters.

Is it happening now? I guess sort of. Affiliates are carrying what network hands down (keep in mind for only 12/24 hours of the day). But those local affiliates are then inserting their own news/weather/entertainment shows.
Somebody who has fugured out a way to make a profit off of it

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

The idea is AI, or automation, will eliminate the need for local talent. High end weather stations today can meet the need. So a person in Chicago reads the Hicksville weather station reports, gives a five minute recorded broadcast, and moves on to the Nowheresville station. Pump it out over the Internet and/or local broadcast towers.

News can go that path too.

Reactions: TheKrell
OTA has found a resurgence. After of years of everyone going to satellite and cable and now the prices going through the ceiling. Many cannot afford the increases today. The thought of bills of $150-$200 a month for TV, is nuts. That is more than my utility bills. With a Roku/FireTV along with OTA, many now get TV for very little. The diginets are very popular with older people. I think OTA will be around for a long time. Also many of the smaller OTA services will be streaming for more viewers.

OTA has found a resurgence. After of years of everyone going to satellite and cable and now the prices going through the ceiling. Many cannot afford the increases today. The thought of bills of $150-$200 a month for TV, is nuts. That is more than my utility bills. With a Roku/FireTV along with OTA, many now get TV for very little. The diginets are very popular with older people. I think OTA will be around for a long time. Also many of the smaller OTA services will be streaming for more viewers.
I agree. I thought about this last night... all those who predict (or is that "wish for"?) the demise of OTA isn't taking into account the COST of other delivery systems. With OTA (granted, assuming you can get a signal, which most people will be able to do), once you've paid for antenna, cable, and installation, you're done. There's no monthly payment.

So OTA will still be around. :)

I expect OTA to outlive me.

But I also expect ever more cost cutting.

I watch OTA, some. I expect ATSC 3 to become a mechanism for stations to further monetize it- get money out of our pockets. Some features to become subscription based. It’ll take many years, and they won’t want to scare off people by doing it too soon. Set the hook, get ATSC 3 widely deployed, and go for blood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)