The good, bad, and, ugly upgrade story

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
After kicking around for weeks about buying a new HD reciver, beging for an upgrade, changing providers, or doing nothing, I called D* yesterday. I explaned I wanted to upgrade to get the new channels, what kind of deal can I get. My system is a Proscan SD receiver, a RCA DTS-100 HD receiver with a TIVO connected, and a SONY SAT-HD200 HD receiver. I get put on hold while they check my account. Comes back on and says I will credit your account for $99.00. I ask what for and they say to send me a new HD receiver. I ask about a HD DVR and they tell me they can credit $99.00 towards the $299.00. I think okay fair enough, still undeceided if I want the DVR or not. They ask when I want to scheduel an install. I tell them I would have a hard time scheduling a day off and wait around, can they jest send the equipment. They say sure. I tell them I need to have the 20 series not the 21 series. They will make a note but no promises. I ask if I can go buy the equipment myself and get the credit when I activate it, sure they say and I left it at that. I asked if they will still send the 5LNB dish and I am told it should come with the receiver. I didn't think it would but okay. I go to CC and my other half says " it would be nice to be able to record or pause a show sometimes" so a HR20 it is. I mention to the sales guy about the dish, he says we have them for $100.00. I've seen them cheaper on E-Bay but I wanted to get this set up this weekend while the weather was good. So much for the dish coming with the receiver, figured I would call D* and see if they could credit the dish too since I was saving them the money of having an installer come out. The self install went well and I called to activate the receiver. All went well until I asked about the credit that was supposed to show up, I was told "we can't do that". Well yeserday you could and by the way I was charged for the dish that was supposed to come with the receiver. "Well I'm sorry but I can't put a credit on your account" I tell them you had better find someone who can or maybe I need to cancel service. I get a supervisor who offers me $10.00 credit a month for a year. I say okay if thats the best you can do. The unit seams to work well and I hope it will continue after reading some stories here and elsewhere. I guess I just don't understand why companies have to treat their customers that way and a person has to get POed to get something. I supposed the best part is CC offered no intrest for 3 months.

B Brewer

Did you also read the lease agreemant CC should have provided you with? You now have a 24 mo. commitment no cancelling without penalty.

They didn't show me anything but I was well aware of the commitment. The CSR supervisor did mention it at the end of the call. It is almost as if they try to sneak it in at the end if you don't already know.

not only is it a commitment but technically u dont own that receiver. the fee that d* charges is a lease upgrade fee not a purchase to own fee.

Trust me I'm well aware of that too. It took me a long time to agree to do this after spending several hundreds of dollars over the years to buy HD receivers I thought would give me what I had to buy a new one for. I am still a little sore over that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)