The Hopper's Ultimate Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm a little concerned about my particular Hopper. I put channel 61 on my Custom list (list 1) and it stayed there for 24 hours then disappeared. When I trey to reinstall it the box check marks OK but it's not on my list. When Igo back the check mark is gone. So I installed it on list 2 and it stays there but I still can't get it back on list 1. Very confusing.

The guide issue has been discussed by many here http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/298803-Default-Guide?highlight=favorites+list+changing and there may be another thread also. Most folks consider it a bug.

I checked and Limited Mode was engaged. I turned it off but it made no difference. I just got off the phone with another level 2 tech guy (the replacement remote was no help). After going through the set up procedure with him again the problem persists. He said maybe a new software update in the futue will fix the problem but he could not think of anything else to try. Since I turn my equipment on and off 5 or 6 times a day I'm not crazy about needing to use the Yamaha remote every time. It is a deal breaker. They are coming out tomorrow to remove the Hopper and re-install my 722. Bummer.

I checked and Limited Mode was engaged. I turned it off but it made no difference. I just got off the phone with another level 2 tech guy (the replacement remote was no help). After going through the set up procedure with him again the problem persists. He said maybe a new software update in the futue will fix the problem but he could not think of anything else to try. Since I turn my equipment on and off 5 or 6 times a day I'm not crazy about needing to use the Yamaha remote every time. It is a deal breaker. They are coming out tomorrow to remove the Hopper and re-install my 722. Bummer.
Sorry, but I think you are knee-jerking. As mentioned before, you can still use your 722 remote that will control your receiver. And, it's sounds like you did not try to "teach" the remote. You are going to give up a lot more than you think you are.

Agreed! I've never run into a remote or device that I could not have my 21.x,32.0,40.0 learn the functions to. I've programmed multiple stereo surround sounds, blue ray players, DVD, VCR and even my XBOX DVD remote control to. If you really want to use the 40.0, you should be able to if you teach it.

Agreed! I've never run into a remote or device that I could not have my 21.x,32.0,40.0 learn the functions to. I've programmed multiple stereo surround sounds, blue ray players, DVD, VCR and even my XBOX DVD remote control to. If you really want to use the 40.0, you should be able to if you teach it.
Your "credentials" aside, yes, Inazsully is about to make a "sully " mistake.

:DI know you are...you're a just a little too "young tech /experienced" for some some here...NOT ME, of course!!

Your "credentials" aside, yes, Inazsully is about to make a "sully " mistake.
Mistake is in the eye of the beholder. I thought that I would like the features of the Hopper and with some of them I do. But with the 722 I have a remote that operates all of my equipment and 3 tuners (1 is OTA and I admit 4 would be better but 3 is enough) and I have a 1.5TB EHD so the larger hard drive with the Hopper would be nice but not a huge deal. With the 722 I can see the "original Air Date" for listed shows, which is a substantial advantage when scrolling out 8 days to see what may or may not be a repeat. I very much prefer the way the 722 presents the list of recorded material as well as the material on the EHD. I also like when I delete something it disappears (722) instead of staying on my recorded list( Hopper). I only have one TV so the Joey's mean nothing to me. The only reason I decided to go with the Hopper was because my 722 took a dump leaving me with a choice to make. Frankly I don't consider the Hopper an upgrade over the 722 system I had. I actually like the PTAT and the Auto Hop features. It seems that most people at Dish know very little about their newest product, including the two Level 2 Techs I spoke with. It took someone here on Sat Guys to tell me that the FF button on the Hopper doubles as the "jump ahead 24 hours" for the Guide. Neither of the tech reps nor the installer was aware of that feature. If the on-line owners manual mentioned that feature I could not find it. So I don't think that I'm making a Sully mistake at all. The features I'll gain more than off set the features I'll lose. But then again, I'm old, so I'll customize the guide on the 722 (can't do that with the Hopper) so it will display only 4 channels but be much easier to read.

Last edited:
To each their own... I personally wouldn't ever want to go back to just 722s! No WHDVR, no sort by episode, no huge HDD, no ability to connect multiple EHDs at a time, no HD on TV2, the list goes on... Not that the 722 isn't still a great receiver... It's just that Hopper is even better! Yes, I had to get used to the different UI, but it's far from unusable, still far better than the competition, not to mention it doesn't look like it was drawn on a Super Nintendo (classic, awesome console though!)

I guess that's why I have both!

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

All servers, and it should apply to the hopper, too, only record one instance of a show or commercial (in the case of broadcast video servers) and simply stick in its database (directory), pointers to the start and length of the recording. If there is a preview of the item, again, it is just a pointer to the location. I also write Audio Servers for radio stations and do the same thing for previews/ hooks, etc of the file. I first learned this on a broadcast video server I programmed.
That could be. The OP was concerned that he would have two actual recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)