the "I now have a hopper 3 and I have questions" thread

here it is
DVR-EDD.jpg

Reactions: Almighty1
Yes but how do you get to it on the H3 as I couldn't find it on the H3? The only thing that even mentions the External HD is when you hit the options button after selecting the External Hard Drive using the Sources option in the DVR menu.
this from the DVR menu button

LOL, normally that would be the case but I've been spending my time trying to transfer the remaining recordings to the EHD from the H2K after the H3 was installed on 02/07/2016. I did record but have deleted it as soon as I watched it.

Reactions: xfoneguy
That will never change as DISH uses that space for the OS and VOD channel 501 and the localized commercials they insert
Does it really need the 600GB of space for that or does it actually use less? I imagine that tuner buffering uses it as well. I always thought localized commercials came directly to the screen via satellite, never knew it was stored on the HD.

Last edited:
Localized commercials are probably tiny, in the grand scheme of things. They're SD for one and two, there's only a few of them, in my experience. They're also going to be small considering they're only 30-60 seconds long.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Have to remember that Dish used to emphasize "x hours of HD recordings" or "y hours of SD recordings" and not the capacity of the drive. Also, unless one connects an external HDD, you'd never know how much space was utilized or "available".

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I always thought in the commercials and marketing, they always claimed 2TB, the largest capacity in the industry for a DVR, more than any competitor then like you said, it mentions the hours of recordings and then I read somewhere that it's 500gb for user, 500gb for PTAT, 1TB reserved for Dish except I don't have PTAT recordings and I seemed to have used up 93% of the 1.2TB for SD Recordings on the H2K, did they actually change it so the entire 1TB is available to the user instead of just 500GB?

I always thought in the commercials and marketing, they always claimed 2TB, the largest capacity in the industry for a DVR, more than any competitor then like you said, it mentions the hours of recordings and then I read somewhere that it's 500gb for user, 500gb for PTAT, 1TB reserved for Dish except I don't have PTAT recordings and I seemed to have used up 93% of the 1.2TB for SD Recordings on the H2K, did they actually change it so the entire 1TB is available to the user instead of just 500GB?

Don't know where you got those numbers. About 1.25 TB is available for user recording on the Hopper 3 (and all Hoppers). PTAT, if fully used, 8 days of 4 channels for 3 hours of HD recording, leaves about 1 TB available.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)