the importance of 4dtv maps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crackt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
101w up north.
so i decided to cable up my 905 thats been out of the stream for a while. it appears that the w5 dmx channels are still alive and yummy. i guess its a lesson to be learned. funny moto didnt include the demap code in the dmx mux itself. im still rockin. good thing this canuck has 3 4d units. so raise your glasses and salute the sat brotherhood (if you indeed belong).

crackt out,.

the dmx channels appear to be zk status as well. im too far gone tonight to test with my genpix so ill leave it up to another. anyways digicipher tunes are by far the best quality from sat. what a waste of technology.

crackt out,.

Watch out W5 is active with channel maps and your receiver can take an update and loose the DMX. After Jan 1 it wont be a problem because the EMM won't match unless you sub with SRL for the new stuff you should be safe.

Watch out W5 is active with channel maps and your receiver can take an update and loose the DMX. After Jan 1 it wont be a problem because the EMM won't match unless you sub with SRL for the new stuff you should be safe.

im only using my 905 for the dmx channels. i do have a 920 that has old maps too. i found it funny that the new maps werent sent on the dmx channels themselves.

crackt out,.

Some of my subbed channels on my 905 are running out soon and I will remove it from the stream until after January. My 922 will be run until the last day of 2010 on W5 only, where it's been since 2007. Upon comparing the maps they certainly are different between the receivers and no DMX on either unless I use satellite AI on the 922.

So like tvropro said...watch out on W5. If you haven't already lost DMX, you will.

well ive been waiting for them to disappear for quite some time now. i never let the box tune any channels but the dmx channels. im pretty sure they are gonna stay mapped until i tune to a pay channel but that is what my 922 is for. like i said previously. i cant understand why map changes dont come down on the channels they are removing. that way the changes are guaranteed to take effect. and if i do lose them on my 905 / 920, i always have my genpix for zero key stuff. haha.

crackt out,.

All the channels on W5 will load the maps. My 922 is more or less out of the loop now. My poor bud sits on C4-10 HSN and rarely gets any use. In all the years I had a bud (23 years) my bud always traveled across the arc at least once almost daily. It's so sad to see it do nothing. (I don't watch C band FTA much). Thank You NPS for all you did this year. May your Sobongo dreams be shattered! I hope Mike Mountford and Charlie Ergan dreams end up as dead as they made 4DTV.

After listening to Sat Talk last night, I have the impression that there isn't much hope for retaining generics after a MR in January and even less hope of a recommissioned Motorola box from another provider due to ancient contracts. Seems like we're lucky to have anything I suppose after what NPS is still doing.

Mike said they were currently out of 410s, so maybe demand is up. I suppose my 922 will end up with the new system for my subs. I still will have my 905 which looks as though it wasn't invited with the 920s and 922s. I have yet to hear any word on the 905s. Maybe they didn't bother due to the lower number of them???

I emailed Ralf with a question for Mike Kohl about the 905s being included & if not why not. He forwarded it to Mike K. for next weeks show.

I re-upped with Skyvision on my GI 922 4DTV for 3 more months, ending 1-8-2011.
If it comes to the 922 being dedicated to only W5 I think I won't mind losing the dish mover function for this one - the counting circuit has been spastic lately. And it's not the wiring nor the reed switch.

I have a GBox & a GI 450i receiver for the 905, so I'm not lacking for dish movers.
:) :up

I heard that underhanded NPS tactic last night too. Shameless, opportunistic manipulators.:mad::rant:

I asked the question for Mike about the Generics. Maybe by December there may be a ray of light. Right now I won't do a MR to get programming. I have only a 922 and I do enjoy the generic channels. I don't think some understand the importance of the maps. If you do a MR you will get about 18 satellites with only ch 1-24 analog on it. So it is useless for anything DC related ITC. Now for stand alone 410 action from a 922 it would be fine. But the hobbyist fun is totally gone. I really don't think it would be too big of a deal to add our current maps to the HITS data stream once W5 is defunct. One can only hope they try. This is why I asked the question since the word has to go up the ladder to the Comcast SAC and see if they will do it. Better to ask than not. I really think they will loose subscribers if they don't. I know of 2 people already that won't sub unless we get generics. I think there's a whole bunch more out there. Comcast it's your call. Don't phase me at the moment anyway since I'm still married to Direct. But I would like to get some W5 programming if things go right.

I also heard about NPS saying the 4dtv data stream is dead now. What a bunch of a..holes. NPS needs to be penalized for what they are pulling.

Last edited:
If it helps, I'd happily update the Generics for Comcast for free :)

IMHO - the generics and stuff are a hobby topic, nothing of interest to Comcast. However, if Comcast would provide those maps, I think they would get more subscribers.

I'm concerned about things like Discovery, what will they do for us BUD folks, DCII FTA?

IT's not Nps It's all of them you see all of them are a bunch of liars.The main reason for them to come with this W5 thing is for us to dump our receivers.You see the small dish folks want to see our 4dtv receivers end up in the trash.They figured if they just pull the plug on us we might still keep using our 4dtv receivers so they came with this.They want us to reset our receivers to lose all the generics and after we sub to W5 THEN they'll pull the plug on us.So then we can't even move the dish with the 4dtv so we'll throw it away and they will be out of circulation forever.Don't believe that skyvision or programming center are any different from NPS they are the same but they act that way to piss us off because they are all helping Dishnet ALL OF THEM.NPS is not closing their business either.They are gonna be selling W5 just like skyvision and will add the g3 channels too.And still pushing DISHNET

NPS is not closing their business either.They are gonna be selling W5 just like skyvision and will add the g3 channels too.And still pushing DISHNET

NPS has no contracts or is pursuing them to run off the Comcast SAC. Also G3 is on the Motorola SAC that one is shutting down. The only way NPS will be able to keep G3 up is to run in ZK and give it away for free, Thats not going to happen.

As far as bricking our receivers. No matter what they will be able to be used like an analog receiver and dish mover using the default satellites. Mapping for DC is another thing. Someone will come up with a way for us to create & access our own channel maps in due time I believe. Smart cookies (like me) will keep our 4D protected until the 4DTV EMM is defunct. Once its gone my receiver will ignore the Comcast SAC's EMM. If a HITS Channel goes FP or ZK it will decode just like Access and Knowledge Network do on my DSR 405. So will HBO, Showtime, Starz, masters etc etc if they run FP.

Currently we have to make a decision. If we want the hobby aspect we need to keep our current maps after Jan 1 and not sub. If we want a glorified 410 we do a MR and get the Comcast EMM for W5. Hopefully something changes and Comcast will provide some 4D support next year for maps. Right now we have to wait and see. Im sure Mike Kohl will mention this to the right people so it can get suggested to the right people.

IT's not Nps It's all of them you see all of them are a bunch of liars.The main reason for them to come with this W5 thing is for us to dump our receivers.

I thought the whole W5 thing was supposed to be a lifeline for BUD users, who don't want pizza contracts etc.

By using an existing platform (Comcast) and allowing the original HITS2Home DSR410 units, there would be no fight with Motorola over EMM and maps. I gather that any DSR410 can now be made compatible, isn't that a good thing?

I don't always explain myself very well, but what I'm trying to say is this:

If Motorola don't drop 4DTV at the end of the year, us 4DTVers wouldn't switch to Comcast W5 - because of choice and maps etc.

I believe that the W5 option is helping keep consumer BUD alive, so many consumers have settled for PQ on pizza and are enjoying more features - you can't ignore that - PVR, Improved Guides, HD...and don't forget wife/girlfriend acceptance factor!

I do think Moto have let us down, they could have easily built a consumer DCII box with positioner, DVR, HD - heck everyone else is (sans DCII/positioner).

I also agree that (hopefully) some bright spark will allow us to talk to our 4DTVs with software to load our own maps, after the New Year.

Sorry to go off topic here.

Once the receiver has taken the update is there anyway to get the DMX back?

Status
Please reply by conversation.