The Jay Leno Show: Born Sept. 14, 2009 - Died Feb 12, 2010

Conan is doing better than Leno Did on the Tonight Show with younger male audiences (18-34), but the problem is that this audience is way too small to make up for the disenfranchisement of the rest of the Leno audience.

The 11:30 slot has way too much competition for the younger audiences so even though Conan is winning the battle in the plan to attact younger audiences to the network, he doesn't have the broad appeal (yet) needed to get a large overall audience.

Letterman is there for the older audiences. Many of the older audience that couldn't stomach Conan defected. This is one of the reasons that Letterman took over the #1 slot. It wasn't just because Conan lost audience. It was because letterman gained audience Conan lost!

Colbert is there for the political humor. You can see the difference in ratings for the Tonight Show when Colbert is in reruns or on Fridays.

And lets face it, much of the younger viewers have the internet as a viable entertainment stream. The largest competitor for yourng viewers is the internet, not other networks. Ask a 15 year-old what their favorite TV show is and you are likely to get an answer like: "TV?"

See ya
Tony

Neither Conan, nor Jay should be ashamed of what they've done.
It's NBC who created all this mess in the first place.

Leno thought that he would be ready for retirement in 2009. He was the one that agreed to the deal. He is the one that decided to keep working. Not that I blame him, but to pin this 100% on NBC is not really fair either.

This has been a long time coming. NBC made their move. Now they should let the Tonight Show ride as it is and let Leno go bye bye and move toward the future.

Not that I blame him, but to pin this 100% on NBC is not really fair either.
The whole idea that someone must be to blame is often really pretty idiotic. Stuff happens. Blame makes sense when someone is malicious or negligent, but when you've got a situation like this, where conditions change over time, and so the right decision changes over time, assigning blame is typically little more than a form of mental masturbation. It makes the blame-er feel a visceral rush, but has no merit beyond that limited scope.

Last night's Letterman. It would work!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
People forget that leno had problems building an audience himself. For a while there he wasa a perennial alos ran to Letterman---till things turned around with the Hugh grant interview.

I never cared for Leno or O'Brien but I think that O'Rrien deserved a bit more ofa chanvce.

Conan should leave but I bet he won't. He's just putting up a fight because of the people who came with him and spent money to get to California. He could walk but he won't find work at another network. He's not that good. My guess is they will go back to the old slots they had before.

This whole thing is hilarious; almost everyone of us thought moving Jay to primetime would be a disaster. How stupid are the execs at NBC?

Interesting to see some celebrities defend Conan, but they don't do it for the right reasons. It's a business. Jerry Seinfeld understands that. Others don't . You need ratings. I couldn't stand Conan at his later time slot and he really sticks out at the new time slot. He's just not that good. I don't think NBC would be upset at all if he just walks . And about the News ratings, Who watches the 11pm Newcast? I don't . I haven't for many years now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)