The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

I liked the season but man that ending was pretty abrupt. When I finished the last episode I was pretty surprised when it didn't automatically start the next episode. I understand that they want to leave stuff for future seasons but I would have liked a little more closure on this season than that.

Don't get me wrong. I like the show and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next. I just wish we didn't have to wait a year to see it.

I just finished up Season 2. Just like last year they left me wanting more. This show is very good and I don't think it's getting the attention it deserves. It is up there in quality with the shows HBO and Netflix put out but, at least in my circles, it never gets brought up in conversation. When I recommend it to friends most of them have never even heard of it. For whatever reason, everyone is aware of the Netflix series like House of Cards and the Marvell stuff but many of those same people don't even seem to notice that Amazon has a streaming service.

Reactions: Zookster
Here I thought I would have the same issue watching the episodes as I did season one, but I ended up binging the whole season over the 16th-18th weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it as it felt like the payoff for the first season.

When I recommend it to friends most of them have never even heard of it. For whatever reason, everyone is aware of the Netflix series like House of Cards and the Marvell stuff but many of those same people don't even seem to notice that Amazon has a streaming service.
Part of that is the limited number of devices that support the Amazon Prime service (yes, yes, I know that Roku and Fire TV have it, but it doesn't reach the device saturation that Netflix does.) The only reason I can watch AP is I have a new enough TV that has Amazon built in.

But, yeah, I wanted to talk to people at work and only two of the computer techs have Rokus and subscribe to AP. The other guy with Prime and FireHD tablets is not likely to watch the edgier programming that AP seems to produce.

"The Man in the High Castle" is as good as anything on HBO.

I just finished up Season 2. Just like last year they left me wanting more. This show is very good and I don't think it's getting the attention it deserves. It is up there in quality with the shows HBO and Netflix put out but, at least in my circles, it never gets brought up in conversation. When I recommend it to friends most of them have never even heard of it. For whatever reason, everyone is aware of the Netflix series like House of Cards and the Marvell stuff but many of those same people don't even seem to notice that Amazon has a streaming service.

I practically signed up for a year of Prime after watching season one during a free 30-day trial last May. At the very least, I had planned to pay for Amazon's new monthly video-only service during months I had time to watch more stuff online.

Sadly though, as critically acclaimed as many of the other Amazon shows are, they really haven't drawn my interest. If I had more time, I might check them out, but I've got so much on my plate already with Netflix and broadcast TV. I did try "Mozart in the Jungle" after hearing about some recent awards nominations. I like to have a 30-minute show going at any given time to fill in shorter viewing times, like just before bedtime. I'll probably get into it more once I finish "House of Lies."

It's not an Amazon original, but season 1 of "The Expanse" is now available on Prime. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and drop everything else (except "The Man in the High Castle") to watch it. I'm binge watching it a second time, and I almost never watch TV episodes more than one time, especially not within a year's time. I'm also currently reading the very excellent books the Syfy channel series is based on. (Season 2 starts Feb. 1).

I practically signed up for a year of Prime after watching season one during a free 30-day trial last May. At the very least, I had planned to pay for Amazon's new monthly video-only service during months I had time to watch more stuff online.

Sadly though, as critically acclaimed as many of the other Amazon shows are, they really haven't drawn my interest. If I had more time, I might check them out, but I've got so much on my plate already with Netflix and broadcast TV. I did try "Mozart in the Jungle" after hearing about some recent awards nominations. I like to have a 30-minute show going at any given time to fill in shorter viewing times, like just before bedtime. I'll probably get into it more once I finish "House of Lies."

It's not an Amazon original, but season 1 of "The Expanse" is now available on Prime. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and drop everything else (except "The Man in the High Castle") to watch it. I'm binge watching it a second time, and I almost never watch TV episodes more than one time, especially not within a year's time. I'm also currently reading the very excellent books the Syfy channel series is based on. (Season 2 starts Feb. 1).

Yeah, The Man in High Castle is the first Amazon Original Series I've actually gotten invested in. I did watch Mad Dogs but I think that one was just okay. I did add Sneaky Pete to my watchlist after seeing commercials on TV solely because they featured Bryan Cranston and Giovanni Ribisi but only the first episode is available right now. I'll be waiting until the whole thing is up before I start it.

I did just add The Expanse to my watchlist after your recommendation. After reading the description it seems like something I would be interested in. I plan to watch OA on Netflix first though.

Yeah, The Man in High Castle is the first Amazon Original Series I've actually gotten invested in. I did watch Mad Dogs but I think that one was just okay. I did add Sneaky Pete to my watchlist after seeing commercials on TV solely because they featured Bryan Cranston and Giovanni Ribisi but only the first episode is available right now. I'll be waiting until the whole thing is up before I start it.

I did just add The Expanse to my watchlist after your recommendation. After reading the description it seems like something I would be interested in. I plan to watch OA on Netflix first though.

I watched the pilot episode of Sneaky Pete last year during pilot season and thought it would be good. I liked The Last Tycoon pilot too. Sneaky Pete season will be available in a few weeks.

It looks like Amazon picked up "The Tick" as my Watchlist shows new episodes coming. I gotta retire soon so I can keep up with all this content... ;)

Two episodes left of season two and I'm still enjoying the show immensely.

Anyone here read the book this is based on? Not looking for spoilers but just curious how close it is to the book.

Two episodes left of season two and I'm still enjoying the show immensely.

Anyone here read the book this is based on? Not looking for spoilers but just curious how close it is to the book.

I haven't read it yet, though I did download a while back (it's free for Prime members). Reviews on Amazon are mixed, with people who read it after the series came out being disappointed. It's relatively short (275 pages), so at this point, the show's storylines and characters would be much more developed.

I haven't read it yet, though I did download a while back (it's free for Prime members). Reviews on Amazon are mixed, with people who read it after the series came out being disappointed. It's relatively short (275 pages), so at this point, the show's storylines and characters would be much more developed.

Thanks, I want to read it eventually but since I started with the TV show I don't want to spoil upcoming seasons. I normally read books first, like I've done with The Expanse, but didn't with this one.

At only 275 pages and free to Amazon subs, it is worth the read if you just want to get a general feel for the differences. There are two major differences, the films are books in the book and Smith and the Japanese counterpart are characters to bring in a sense of rebellion and conflict, which didn't exist in the book. The occupation is kind-of accepted in the book and most of the story takes place in the Pacific States. I like the fact that the alternate timelines depicted are films instead of books. Seeing them makes it more believable than words on a page. Not really much mention in the book about the German territory but the book provides a little more information about the territories outside of the USA that are controlled by Japan and Germany. The series will probably deal with this as they progress.

Reactions: Zookster
Finished the last two episodes the other night. Enjoyed the season but I confess I have no idea where they are going next if a season three is done.

I thought the Nazi's computer graphics capabilities were too far advanced for the 1960s. Maybe they were using Commodore Amigas?

—Roland

Reactions: Sean Mota

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)