The Marlins ownership KILLS me....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Jesus, Mary and Joseph!!

1st, they WIN a World Series with McKeon...and the next year, they had "differences of opinion"...and he was gone. THEN, Joe Gerardi WIN MANAGER OF THE YEAR and they decide to NOT REHIRE him. NOW, Freddi Gonzalez has THE LOWEST payroll by almost a country mile compared to anyone else...they are in the playoff race till the last week in the season...they win 87 games and end up 12 games above .500....and they wanna fire the manager???!! WTF!!!

Marlins may fire manager despite 87 wins
By STEVEN WINE (AP) – 20 hours ago

MIAMI — By most measurements, the Florida Marlins overachieved in 2009.

They finished six games out of first place in the NL East with baseball's smallest payroll. They were 12 games above .500 while outscoring opponents by six runs. They had the third-best record in franchise history even though four of their five starting pitchers performed below expectations.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez's job is in jeopardy anyway.

Owner Jeffrey Loria is upset the team failed to make the playoffs, and the Marlins have declined to say whether Gonzalez will return next year, even though he received a contract extension through 2011 just eight months ago.

ESPN.com reported Saturday that Bobby Valentine, an analyst for the network and a former major league manager, is talking with the Marlins about a job. He recently ended a six-year run as manager of the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan's Pacific League.

Valentine managed the Texas Rangers when Loria owned that organization's Triple-A team in Oklahoma in 1989-92.

A decision is expected later this week. Loria and team president David Samson didn't return phone calls seeking comment Monday.

During the season-ending series in Philadelphia last weekend, general manager Larry Beinfest offered a mixed critique of the season, but none of his criticism was directed toward Gonzalez. Instead, Beinfest praised the Marlins' effort and resilience, traits often considered the reflection of a manager.

"Their attitude, will and fight every day enabled them to win (87) games," Beinfest said.

They did it with a payroll of $37 million, while the division rival Mets, for example, finished 17 games behind Florida despite a payroll of $136 million.

Beinfest said the Marlins were too inconsistent with their starting pitching and offense, but the bullpen was a pleasant surprise and the bench was a strength.

"I don't want to sound like we're terribly disappointed or unhappy, because that's not the case," Beinfest said.

However, Samson said Loria is displeased. And the owner is known for acting quickly when it comes to changing managers.

Loria replaced Jeff Torborg with Jack McKeon in May 2003, when the Marlins began an improbable run to the World Series title. In 2006, Joe Girardi was fired after only one season, and shortly before he was chosen NL manager of the year.

Girardi brought a drill-sergeant approach to the job, while Gonzalez's low-key personality makes him more of a players' manager. Valentine would be another drill sergeant type manager.

The Associated Press: Marlins may fire manager despite 87 wins

And when Josh Johnson and Hanley's contract expires...they BETTER sign them long term.

This ownership is SOOO f***ing cheap.

MAN, I have been swearing up a storm lately!:eek:
That aint happening. Whoever the Marlins have will be playing in NY or Boston in a couple of years. That's why they are a AAA team. Young players can develop, like your boy who you wanted to win Rookie of the Year, the scouts for other teams watch them grow, and then when their contracts are up they swoop in a sign them away. How can the Marlins afford any of these guys anyway? They average 690 people at their games. I'm surprised they can pay the electric bill for the stadium lights.

need I remind you of what Jeffrey Loria did to Montreal? ;)

I cant believe he didnt try this trick he did with Le Expos back in 2000

Owner Jeffrey Loria was unable to secure funding for a new stadium, and pulled the team off television and English speaking radio in an effort to draw more fans to the ballpark. The actions failed miserably, and fan apathy for the club became widespread.

He probably is thinking "hey if I pull the Marlins off TV and English Radio then more fans will go to the games...yeah that HAS to work" ;)

That aint happening. Whoever the Marlins have will be playing in NY or Boston in a couple of years. That's why they are a AAA team. Young players can develop, like your boy who you wanted to win Rookie of the Year, the scouts for other teams watch them grow, and then when their contracts are up they swoop in a sign them away. How can the Marlins afford any of these guys anyway? They average 690 people at their games. I'm surprised they can pay the electric bill for the stadium lights.

That new stadium plus the Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Angels, Dodgers and Cubs....

....The last time the Marlins spent ABOVE 40 million, they won the World Series. The could have EASILY had Manny Ramirez last year and all they had to give was the flop that is Jeremy Hermedia. They didn't pull the trigger. This year, they could have had Pedro Martinez, John Smotz, K-Mart and of bunch of others....biut they didn't wanna pull the trigger because of the stadium issue....well NOW the stadium issue is a done deal...time for them to spend some $$$$$.

...believe me when I tell you that they are NOT losing money...

need I remind you of what Jeffrey Loria did to Montreal? ;)

I cant believe he didnt try this trick he did with Le Expos back in 2000

He probably is thinking "hey if I pull the Marlins off TV and English Radio then more fans will go to the games...yeah that HAS to work" ;)

I so dying for them to sell the team....! He could have had the stadium a LONG time ago, but the little Napolean F**K president of operation Sampson was a a$$ to EVERYONE in south Florida politics!

That new stadium plus the Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Angels, Dodgers and Cubs....

....The last time the Marlins spent ABOVE 40 million, they won the World Series. The could have EASILY had Manny Ramirez last year and all they had to give was the flop that is Jeremy Hermedia. They didn't pull the trigger. This year, they could have had Pedro Martinez, John Smotz, K-Mart and of bunch of others....biut they didn't wanna pull the trigger because of the stadium issue....well NOW the stadium issue is a done deal...time for them to spend some $$$$$.

...believe me when I tell you that they are NOT losing money...
They aren't swimming in money either. They just broke ground on the new stadium. The money won't come until the ballpark is open, or close to opening. I wouldn't go throwing money at over the hill pitchers either while the team is still playing in Landfill Stadium. Smoltz and Pedro will be retired before the Marlins move.

They aren't swimming in money either. They just broke ground on the new stadium. The money won't come until the ballpark is open, or close to opening. I wouldn't go throwing money at over the hill pitchers either while the team is still playing in Landfill Stadium. Smoltz and Pedro will be retired before the Marlins move.

LMAO!! I am talking short term. This year, they had a number of injuries to starting pitchers and they could have easily picked up Smotz or Martinez. They desperately needed a catcher earlier in the year...

As I remember, there was a stadium offer in Montreal, and Loria turned it down.

Actually they wanted some public funding from the province of Quebec to help with the building which was vetoed

but Loria supposedly had a spot picked out for land yet couldnt prove he owned it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)