The Mtn. - any new info?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

psychotrope

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I hadn't seen this topic brought up in quite a while. Is there any new information on The Mtn. and Dish Network? It's not even on D*. As far as I know it's not available at all in the MWC's biggest market: DFW. TCU fans are going to miss a lot of Horned Frogs games since they can't get The Mtn. in Fort Worth.

I'm guessing the prospects aren't very good for E* picking this channel up, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any new info.

I hadn't seen this topic brought up in quite a while. Is there any new information on The Mtn. and Dish Network? It's not even on D*. As far as I know it's not available at all in the MWC's biggest market: DFW. TCU fans are going to miss a lot of Horned Frogs games since they can't get The Mtn. in Fort Worth.

I'm guessing the prospects aren't very good for E* picking this channel up, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any new info.

ok im not from DFW area, but what is the mtn? And is there seriously a team named the Horned Frogs... or are you just trying to pull our chains?

No, I'm not yanking any chains. I'll define some terms.
MWC = Mountain West Conference (college athletics)
The Mtn. = A tv network run by the MWC that shows a lot of MWC football games.
TCU = Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas
TCU Mascot = Horned Frogs
Horned Frog = Slang for what is technically known as the Texas Horned Lizard.

I wonder what the parent company of the mtn. is. It seems that it could be carried as an RSN available to the states with MWC schools like the BTN is going to be next year with Big 10 states.

It is a comcast channel. They are asking for ridiculous rates, especially for a non-BCS conference. I don't think anybody in Utah can get it either, and they have 2 teams (Utah and BYU). I honestly can't see the network making it much longer.

Unfortunately there is little demand nationally for the Mountain Network. Look at how many had a fit over the Big 10 Netowork. Then again, the majority of people posting about BTN were in the BT region....

I asked Scott if there is any chance the MTN. will come to E*, and what are the hangups to getting this deal done, especially when you see how the BTN was wrapped up very nicely. This was his reply

"The issue is Mountain Network is not transmitted via Satellite, so its not available to Dish Network. If the signal was made available to cable companies via satellite then Dish could buy it for their customers."

I trust Scott, and if this is the case, I don't know why there are numerous commercials in Utah everyday prodding people to ask D* and E* to add the Mtn. According to Scott, it is nearly impossible.

Last edited:
Well it doesn't sound very encouraging at the moment. Maybe after a tough couple of years they'll rethink their strategy and offer the channel under more acceptable terms. Thanks for the info.

To somewhat resurrect this thread, instead of starting yet another one, here's the two latest updates:

1. CSTV announces a week ago that they're going to turn into CBS College Sports Network, leading t speculation that since CSTV is one of The MTN's primary owners, popular MWC games will start being shown on CBS affiliates.

2. News reports have surfaced that The MTN has finally made an "agreement in principle" with D*.

So now that CBS is in the game and DirecTV has acted, how much longer will Charlie hold out? There are already a ton of people who are MWC alumni and fans who are ready to jump ship from their cable provider to D*, will E* want to miss out on that movement?

Who should we bug about this?

The Mtn

I bugged Dish Network all summer about getting The Mtn and all I ever got was their stock reply of "we'd like to provide it but at this time there are no plans to do so...." So this past weekend we dumped Dish and switched to Direct. Now we'll not only get Lobo games but we can get MLB Extra Innings for Cubs games and NFL Sunday Ticket for Bears games.

I bugged Dish Network all summer about getting The Mtn and all I ever got was their stock reply of "we'd like to provide it but at this time there are no plans to do so...." So this past weekend we dumped Dish and switched to Direct. Now we'll not only get Lobo games but we can get MLB Extra Innings for Cubs games and NFL Sunday Ticket for Bears games.

There ya go, problem solved :D

FYI.....a reply I got from the MTN

"
Thank you for your email. Dish Network has been offered The Mtn. on the
same equitable terms as enjoyed by DirecTV and many other cable
operators. They remain uninterested in the MWC and they are not serving
you as a loyal customer by not providing you with a service that you are
paying them for. It is regrettable and frustrating for everyone that
they chose not to bring programming that viewers wish to see. We will
continue to offer them our programming but in the meantime you have
choices. You can choose to stay with Dish Network and see the games at a
friend's house, or at a commercial establishment on DirecTV or you can
switch carriers. Until Dish Network starts to please it's customers by
bringing programming they are being asked for, you have those choices
available to you.
We thank you for emailing us and look forward to welcoming you one day
as a viewer.
Best Regards,
The Mtn. "

Of course I got the standard we are looking into it email when i did email dish about adding 'The MTN'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)