The national pastime's shocking death toll

That's what offends me as a baseball fan by the very title of this thread. Sensationalism. Tabloid titling at it's very best/worst.

I wouldn't say that. There most likely are hundreds of deaths that have taken place on the baseball field in the games history. These numbers most likely include semi pro and recreational leagues as well.

That's what offends me as a baseball fan by the very title of this thread. Sensationalism. Tabloid titling at it's very best/worst.

KC that was the title to this article. i'm not really interested in it i just thought some around here would be. i never thought it was going to be such a big deal.

The stats I have seen (not sure how true they are) show that the average baseball stadiumeam has 35 to 50 injuries per year from balls going into the stands.

Now the odds of someone is killed is very low. There have only been 5 deaths in professional baseball history.

true! that's why i found this article curious and posted it to get your opinions on it since it seemed exaggerated to me too;)

I remember going to my first baseball game at Tiger Stadium and remember there was a girl sitting infront of me a few rows up and a foul ball came staright down and hit her right in the top of her head.

She was crying really bad and all I can remember from there is the ushers and paramedics coming over to help her. I think she was ok, but I felt really bad for her.

But you really need to be alert at baseball games, just the other day there was a line drive foul ball that was coming staright at me. I actually moved out of the way and it hit the top of the seat infront of me. Another inch higher and if I did not get out of the way it would have hit me right in my face!

Good article. On the rare occasions where I actually sit in good seats, I *never* take my eye off the ball.

When I was in middle school, I was pitching and got drilled in the mouth by a comebacker.....not pleasant.

Good article. On the rare occasions where I actually sit in good seats, I *never* take my eye off the ball.

When I was in middle school, I was pitching and got drilled in the mouth by a comebacker.....not pleasant.

I got drilled a few times back in the day, hurt a hell of a lot more than being hit by a pitch. Never in the mouth though. Lose any teeth?

Isn't he the guy who was shot and killed while in the stands??

Yes, he had just taken his seat in the left center field upper deck for a Giant-Dodger double header when a bullet struck him between the eyes. He died instantly. The incident was never solved but it was speculated the shot was fired high above the Grounds from the top Coogan's Bluff.

I got away from the thread, but it is a baseball related death.

Last edited:
so, is this you paul?????

fan%20gettn%20hit%20by%20bat11.jpg
:eek:

I once saw an ederly gentleman get struck in the face and broke his glasses. He was bleeding pretty bad and had to be helped out.

I was at the Reds Opening Day game in 1996 when umpire John McSherry died in the first inning of the game. It was not a pretty sight...:(

Ironically, I was scheduled for an angigram 3 days later, and was diagnosed with excessive blockage and had quadruple by-pass surgery the next day!!!...:shocked

I was at the Reds Opening Day game in 1996 when umpire John McSherry died in the first inning of the game. It was not a pretty sight...:(

Ironically, I was scheduled for an angigram 3 days later, and was diagnosed with excessive blockage and had quadruple by-pass surgery the next day!!!...:shocked

Good thing you caught it early.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts