The NCAA Women Tournament is FLAWED

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
They allow teams to play on their own court for the first two rounds of the tournaments.

For instance:

Auburn 52, Rutgers 80 - College Women's Basketball - Rivals.com

I had Auburn making it to the title game, yet they play the lower-seeded team's home court?

Am I the only one who finds this EXTREMELY unfair?

Why is the committee for women's basketball always favoring the inferior teams?

Auburn was ranked eighth in the country; Rutgers was seventh in their own conference.

I respect women's basketball, but until they permanently make the tournament neutral sites, I still consider it inferior.

yeah I watched some action last night and I thought it was the WNIT when I saw Iowa was playing basically a HOME game.

WTF???????

They allow teams to play on their own court for the first two rounds of the tournaments.

For instance:

Auburn 52, Rutgers 80 - College Women's Basketball - Rivals.com

I had Auburn making it to the title game, yet they play the lower-seeded team's home court?

Am I the only one who finds this EXTREMELY unfair?

Auburn was ranked eighth in the country; Rutgers was seventh in their own conference.

I respect women's basketball, but until they permanently make the tournament neutral sites, I still consider it inferior.
It is messed up, but if they played all the games at neutral sites nobody would go. What's worse is this is the way the men's tournament was run too for years. In 1986 #11 seed LSU made the FF. How'd they get there? Playing their first 2 games in Baton Rouge helped. Fortunately that doesn't go on anymore.

In 1986 #11 seed LSU made the FF. How'd they get there? Playing their first 2 games in Baton Rouge helped.

It's one thing to cheer for a Cinderella team, but not when the committe gives Cinderella an unfair advantage.

I dont remember if I was going to post something on this, but Sabres, your right. One thing that aggravates me and why I dont like Uconn womens basketball is because in 95, everyone made a big deal about going undefeated and winning the National Championship. What about the fact that they played all of there tourney games at home? And where did all the Uconn women fans come from? Meanwhile, the men had to go to Anaheim and play the eventual champion, UCLA. What did the men get for that? A swift kick in the ass!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but back to your point Sabres. I think they played neutral sites like the men for a couple of yrs. but like Anders said, nobody went. Thats why they went back to playing games at home. I know, it sucks, especially for a team like Uconn who plays there first and second round games at home and then plays there regional semifinals in Bridgeport. The Big East Tourney is in Hartford, Ct.

Until, the Womens games gets on par as the men as far as play and popularity, it is what it is.

Every NCAA championship, except for men's basketball, has games at team's sites and tournaments that are more truly "regional" in the early rounds. Only men's basketball is an exception. Site selection is generally based on who can have a site available, and who can guarentee the most seats sold.

It is what it is. The alternative in women's basketball would be to rent a civic center somewhere and play before a sea of empty seats. Nobody in Boise, Idaho is going to pay $3 to see an Auburn-Rutgers and Liberty-UNLV women's doubleheader. That simple.

While it does seem unfair on the surface, I don't see this as such a big deal.

No matter where,when, or who you are playing, if you are the better team, then you should be prepared to win, plain and simple. Taking care of business in "hostile" territory is part of being a champion.

You can blame the refs, the home team "advantage" or whatever you want, but the truth is there is only one person (or group of people in team sports) to blame for a loss, and that is the player(s).

All but two of the 16 sites are on-campus arenas and were chosen ahead of time. Because of the pod system they tried to place teams as close as possible, even if it meant lower seeded teams having a "home" game. Those are the breaks and good teams play through them.
If Auburn was really that good, they should have won, no matter where they played.

What got you all riled up about this, did you have Tennessee going far in your bracket??

If Auburn was really that good, they should have won, no matter where they played.

I'm sorry, but advanced decisions or not, there is no way 10 seeds should be rewarded.

Rutgers was seventh IN THEIR OWN CONFERENCE!

All but two of the 16 sites are on-campus arenas and were chosen ahead of time. Because of the pod system they tried to place teams as close as possible, even if it meant lower seeded teams having a "home" game. Those are the breaks and good teams play through them.

bingo....I see that in college hockey all the time come playoffs. If a regional is being played near a teams location, they'll go there no matter the record. So even if a team is a 14 seed (out of 16 teams) they still will go to the regional nearest them if its close to a "home" arena

Add another victim to the "better teams play inferior teams on home-court and lose" list: Duke.

The ninth-seed gets THE HOME GAME (this time, Michigam State), and once again capitalizes on unfair and undeserving fortune.

This is a joke. Why bother playing good basketball all year if you're going to allow mediocrity an unfair advantage?

I hope women's basketball stops this home-court crap.

They are putting profits over fairness.

I guess in women's basketball, it's good to be average.

[ame="http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=294000003"]Michigan State Spartans vs. Duke Blue Devils - Recap - March 24, 2009 - ESPN[/ame]

Duke fans should be mad.

They played good all year, yet get screwed over by having to play on the other team's home-court?

Imagine if Louisville had to play Siena in Siena.

Women's basketball is still a favorite of mine, but this make me SICK!

What a GREAT night. The Lady Terps move on,(playing at Comcast Center) and the Lady DOOKS pack their bags and head back to Durham. I am ACC all the way with one MAJOR exception. Until both DOOK teams realize that they DO really commit fouls and quit their damn whining on every call,I hope they lose every game. GO VILLANOVA !!!!(coached ,by the way, by a fellow alumnus of Bucknell).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)