the new 811s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
I am finally scheduled for an install on may 15 for the 811. i remember reading somewhere that they stopped making the 811s for a while and that the new 811s will have most of the bugs worked out.

i am wondering how to tell if i get one of the new ones and if they do bring one of the old ones, should i tell them i will wait for the new version.

is there a way to tell if you get a newer one or an older one?

good question

My install of an 811 is scheduled for tomorrow. I hear there is a difference in new 811's. But I have no idea how to tell the new ones from the old ones.
Any help would be great.

juan said:
The new ones don't have the dark video hardware problem

So the dark video IS a hardware problem? I didn't think there was any official comment from Dish about hardware causing the problem. Or, are you speculating?

The reason I ask is there are a lot of us waiting to get this issue resolved and if new hardware is needed, is it time to start bugging Dish about replacing our units?

I asked about a hardware problem in my last phone call, they assured me it was software and 266 will correct it. Problem is, everytime I ask a question to the CSR's I get a different reply. Can't get a straight answer, but if the new ones are fixed I think dish needs to do some replacing of 811's in the field, at least for those of who have been complaining.

sprite1741 said:
I asked about a hardware problem in my last phone call, they assured me it was software and 266 will correct it. Problem is, everytime I ask a question to the CSR's I get a different reply. Can't get a straight answer, but if the new ones are fixed I think dish needs to do some replacing of 811's in the field, at least for those of who have been complaining.

I don't think the CSR's via the phone get all the info they need on a consistent basis. When I was initially trying to get an 811, one CSR would tell me I wasn't on the waiting list, another CSR would tell me I was "near the top of the list".

After waiting another week (I'd been waiting for an 811 for a little over 2 months), I started writing emails. I made a very simple statement and asked a very simple question: why, as a long-time subscriber (6-7 years), should I keep getting delayed in my efforts to get an 811 receiver when I can drive into to town to a Best Buy where DirecTV has several models of HD receivers just sitting on shelves awaiting a buyer?

I received an email the next day apologizing for the delay and asking me when a convenient day would be for an 811 to be installed? 4 days later, two guys showed up, installed the 811 and took my 5000 away. In retrospect, with the SD video problem, I probably should've kept my model 5000 (at least until the dark video issue is resolved), but I wasn't aware of the problem (I had the 811 before I discovered this website) at that time.

So, I wrote the person I'd been conversing with and cc'd ceo@echostar with my questions about the dark video (which was after I'd found this site and discovered I wasn't alone in this problem) and received a reply the next day concerning the 266 update from a tech who seems to know what's what.

So, as it stands now, we're "a few weeks" (the tech told me) away from 266 hopefully fixing the problems. Now we have to see how long "a few weeks" are...

Joe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)