The new I-Phone is a joke

tomcrown1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
San Francisco
Today Steve Jobs introduced I-Phone 2.0 which will have 3g and GPR otherwise it is the same as the old IPhone.

Check out Nokia new N96 and this thing blows Iphone out of the water. Also HTC new Windows Mobile Phone is better than the new IPhone. I was hoping that Apple would come out with a great all in one phone-but it did not.

What did you expect the second time around? It should have had 3G the first time around. Still just a toy/cute phone in my opinion.

You are the experts. Tell us what the iPhone is lacking, such that it would meet your standards for approval. I don't have one, but I was thinking of getting one when it comes out...

That's the point, the iPhone isn't supposed to be an all inclusive do everything under the Sun phone. It's supposed to be an easy to use and elegant platform for MOST users. Look at a Windows Mobile device and an iPhone. You cannot say that the iPhone is not simpler and easier to use than a Windows Mobile phone, and has MOST of the features people want. Personally, the great web browser and the iPod built in negates some of the fringe features that I might want like A2DP bluetooth, but not even all winmo devices have that.

What features would you like to see added to iPhone that doesn't make it a "toy"?

Check out Nokia new N96 and this thing blows Iphone out of the water. Also HTC new Windows Mobile Phone is better than the new IPhone.

Ha ha. You're funny! I bet you could hardly keep a straight face when you typed that!

:D

TimR

You are the experts. Tell us what the iPhone is lacking, such that it would meet your standards for approval. I don't have one, but I was thinking of getting one when it comes out...

An EVDO RevA radio would be a good start. ;) AT&T has good voice coverage in this area but their 3G is very lacking. And the times you have voice coverage it doesn't work that well since everyone and their dog has AT&T and the network is oversold around here.

What changed with the iPhone...

Here is a link of a transcript of the keynote for the iPhone:

MacRumors.com : Worldwide Developer Conference 2008 Keynote Live Coverage

Here is a summary of what changed...

The iPhone is programmable now. It has three distribution methods. Ad-hoc distribution, I can write a program and give it to up to 100 people. Enterprise distribution for corporate, in-house applications, and applications distributed via iTunes. 250,000 developers have downloaded the SDK so far, myself included. If you write a program, you can give it away or sell it through the "app store". They deal with the credit cards, DRM, server space, and distribution. It is a 70/30 split.

A free program that will be available is Loopt, a location-aware social network. The app displays a map with pins representing where your friends currently are. Sounds cool. You could also use it to track your kids. Sega will be selling games for it in the near future.

Complete support for Office documents (Word, Excel, and now PowerPoint). Support for iLife documents.

Complete support for ActiveSync and exhange. It works with .Mac syncrhonization.

3G support, 2.8X faster than the EDGE netowork, and 36% faster than the NokiaN95 at downloading web pages. It does tabbed browsing btw.

Improved battery life:
3G has great battery life on iPhone. 300 hours of standby, 2G talk-time now has 10 hours (as opposed to 5), 5 hours of 3G talk-time (most phones only have 3 hour 3G talk time), 5 to 6 hours of high-speed browsing, 7 hours of video, 24 hours of audio.

GPS Support: With GPS, the iPhone can do tracking. A pulsating dot is moving across the Google map as a car drives down Lombard street.

The price dropped in half! $199 for the 8GB version, and $299 for the 16GB version.

Last year the iPhone sold more units than all of the windows mobile phones put together by all of their different manufacturers.

Quite a bit changed. I'm looking forward to see what 3rd party developers will do with it.

The iPhone is a great phone for its market. Since it combines an iPod, a cell phone and now a GPS in one for a now lower price. Is it the best at any task? Probably not, but it is a good compromise. It will be interesting to see how the GPS works. If it works as good as the base standalone GPSs do, then the price alone would be worth it for just the GPS.

I have a bag that I carry for travelling. It is a small camera bag which I put my digital camera, ipod and GPS in, plus the needed support stuff (like chargers and cables). This promises to significantely shrink this bag.

It is a good phone for consumers that want to combine a bunch of devices into one.

As a corporate and global phone and data user, for me to accept it, it would have to do what a Blackberry does and without active sync which is a poor excuse for the real thing ;0 It's like comparing a blow up doll to eva mendes! If the doll excites you when made to look the same, then hey iphone is for you ;0 If you can tell the difference, ditch iphone and get a real phone!

An EVDO RevA radio would be a good start. ;) AT&T has good voice coverage in this area but their 3G is very lacking. And the times you have voice coverage it doesn't work that well since everyone and their dog has AT&T and the network is oversold around here.

That might be a nice feature, but it doesn't make good business sense for apple to do that. They want to be a world wide carrier via GSM. CDMA is a better technology, I hold a couple of patents on CDMA (GPS patents), but it doesn't have the world wide adoption that GSM does.

The 3G iPhone is going to be sold in 70 countries around the world because they adopted GSM.

As a corporate and global phone and data user, for me to accept it, it would have to do what a Blackberry does and without active sync which is a poor excuse for the real thing ;0 It's like comparing a blow up doll to eva mendes! If the doll excites you when made to look the same, then hey iphone is for you ;0 If you can tell the difference, ditch iphone and get a real phone!

Can you please share with us what the "real thing" is? The ResearchInMotion has a server in Canada which holds all of the emails as a conduit for all of the blackberries. Do you recall that single point distribution method failing 6 months ago, when everyone all of those blackberries lost email service? Apple doesn't want to be a middle man in a foreign country. They want to give you VPN access to your corporate network to make your confidential emails more secure. You don't have to use active-sync to do that, you use whatever your corporation uses via VPN.

What do you want your "real phone" to use as an email protocol? I think the Mail program on the iPhone will handle most all of the email protocols now.

Well their is no voice dialing and no tv platform or good voice communication which the Nokia N96 has plus the new Cell phones that will out in November from Motorola Lg Etc goes beyond the IPhone platform. I wish Steve did do something about the vocie quality over the Iphone for gosh sake this is a Phone.

The whole iphone concept is a joke, IMO. If Jobs wants to sell me one he can make one for every system in the US ( iden,CDMA,GSM, and whatever Sprint uses now), sell just the phone with the capability for me to add my OWN apps and features as I see fit.

Its a nice platform, but tied to ATT its no deal.

And the biggest one....physical keyboard.

<I forgot that one> I own the Itouch and it is real hard to type with. The touch screen needs to be touched several times before it respond. The new Lg looks alot like the Iphoe with a touch screen that is suppose to be more responsive. It will have a keypad plus Mobil Tv(live Tv not streaming tv)

Ps I do live my MacBook pro 17 inch best damn computer out their(for a laptop)

Well their is no voice dialing and no tv platform or good voice communication which the Nokia N96 has plus the new Cell phones that will out in November from Motorola Lg Etc goes beyond the IPhone platform. I wish Steve did do something about the vocie quality over the Iphone for gosh sake this is a Phone.

I think the idea was to let 3rd party developers do some of this.

Slingbox support is coming, that sounds very good. I think that will take care of a TV platform support.

I haven't heard whether it will do voide dialing or not, if it doesn't, I'm sure there will be a 3rd party program to do it.

If you read the transcript of the keynote, you will notice it says this, "Apple has learned so much with the first iPhone. [added .....] dramatically improved audio."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)