The new UI finally makes it to my home

jhaan79

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Pontiac, IL
...and I have a couple questions for you guys/girls? Sorry if these have been answered already but the search really hasn't shown me all the answers.

First of all I have the old school Hopper (no racing stripe) and 2 Joeys. Ironically enough (or not), the Joeys still have the old UI. Will the Joey's update?

I know these are going to probably be Geeky Techie questions but here we go...

-The old UI you could see how many GB you had remaining on your Hard Drive. I am not seeing where I can get that info. Is this feature gone?

-I CAN'T be the only one who does this...I have recorded the same episode multiple times and end up keeping the one that uses the least amount of hard drive space. You could select the program, click edit, and it would show the size of the recording in GB. There's no 'edit' when you select the program on the new UI. Is this gone?

-Manual timers?

Reactions: salyavin
If you don't use PTAT, turn it off in the menu settings. The new update turns it on by default. Cange the Appearance to Modern for a black background, which I think is easier on my eyes and go to the TV tab, resize screen and set your screen size with the green circles. The new update pushes them out on many TV's. Go to Power tile and select Home Screen ,which sucks, Smart Channel, which I hate or Last Channel to set what you see when you turn your TV and Receiver on

If you don't use PTAT, turn it off in the menu settings. The new update turns it on by default. Cange the Appearance to Modern for a black background, which I think is easier on my eyes and go to the TV tab, resize screen and set your screen size with the green circles. The new update pushes them out on many TV's. Go to Power tile and select Home Screen ,which sucks, Smart Channel, which I hate or Last Channel to set what you see when you turn your TV and Receiver on

Dude, I set everything I install to Last Channel too, for the same reasons. :)

Dude, I set everything I install to Last Channel too, for the same reasons. :)
Great minds think alike! I check every single receiver I go to and I'd say 75%+ have none of these things done by the last tech that was there. Also, the resolution on VIP receivers - I bet (Truly!) 90% are set to 4x3 or 480P because other techs never bothered to check

Great minds think alike! I check every single receiver I go to and I'd say 75%+ have none of these things done by the last tech that was there. Also, the resolution on VIP receivers - I bet (Truly!) 90% are set to 4x3 or 480P because other techs never bothered to check

Yes, yes. That and the TV alignment circles, Limited Mode On, Guide Increasing from Top to Bottom and Inactivity timer to 8 hours. :)

NO when you press UP the numbers should go UP :D
I get the logic behind that, so in a way I understand why Dish does it that way. However, just about everyone else's EPG (or even printed TV Guides) go the other way, and that is what I am used to seeing, so I always change it on all of my receivers. At least Dish gives us the option to have the channel order the way we like it. (either ascending or descending) When I first got Dish, one of my receivers was a model 1000, which did not have the option to change it, and having the guide in reverse order on that receiver always drove me nuts.

I also miss being able to see the size in GB of recorded shows. I suspect we are in the extreme minority and they removed the feature sadly. Another problem I had on my original hopper for two days now (since I got the update) is it keeps restoring some (but not all) of trashed videos. I emptied trash today to see if that straightens it out. At least when it restores a program I can see I have watched it easily. I find this annoying to delete (or trash if you like) them multiple times. It also seems quite slow at times like listed DVR shows on my original hopper. I am moving in four months or so maybe I'll get a hopper 3 then as part of my dish mover deal and I think that will help with any speed issues.

I get the logic behind that, so in a way I understand why Dish does it that way. However, just about everyone else's EPG (or even printed TV Guides) go the other way, and that is what I am used to seeing, so I always change it on all of my receivers. At least Dish gives us the option to have the channel order the way we like it. (either ascending or descending) When I first got Dish, one of my receivers was a model 1000, which did not have the option to change it, and having the guide in reverse order on that receiver always drove me nuts.

I blame the TV Guide channel for this, and, well, I guess the TV Guide magazine, and newspaper TV listing grids from the time when they actually printed such things. That established the paradigm which most people use.

Reactions: pattykay
I blame the TV Guide channel for this, and, well, I guess the TV Guide magazine, and newspaper TV listing grids from the time when they actually printed such things. That established the paradigm which most people use.

Blame? That's an interesting word choice.

I think it's just logical that a list should start at the top and I don't 'blame' anybody for being logical. :)

Reactions: pattykay
Blame? That's an interesting word choice.

I think it's just logical that a list should start at the top and I don't 'blame' anybody for being logical. :)

Depends on your perspective I guess. Why are some languages written from right to left vs. left to right vs. top to bottom?

Depends on your perspective I guess. Why are some languages written from right to left vs. left to right vs. top to bottom?
But our language, you know, the one that we use is what we are used to using. We usually list things beginning with the number 1 and go down from there. It makes perfect sense to use what the vast majority know how to use. Of course there is an option to change that to go the other way should you prefer that....

I think the numbers should be in alphabetical order - eight, five, four, nine, one, seven, six, ten, three, two...
It depends on the context. If you are at the library looking for a DVD to watch, then titles that start with numbers should absolutely be alphabetized. You may not remember whether the title was spelled out, or if they used a numeral, you just know that you are looking for a movie called "12 monkeys." It makes perfect sense that it would be alphabetized with the T's.

For that matter, some languages put adjectives after the noun, and verbs before the subject of the sentence. In a way, I can see the logic behind that. However, it is not what we are used to seeing and hearing in our language, so it looks and sounds funny to us.

Reactions: dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)