The next receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Good enthusiasm, but flawed in practicality. How do you propose feeding HD to 6 tvs from a centralized location? Take into account that most houses with 6 tvs have either:
1) Large square footage
Or
2) Multiple story house
Or
3) Detached guest houses or offices

You realize that U-Verse already does this by distributing through the coax right? No reason to be any different.

Good enthusiasm, but flawed in practicality. How do you propose feeding HD to 6 tvs from a centralized location? Take into account that most houses with 6 tvs have either:
1) Large square footage
Or
2) Multiple story house
Or
3) Detached guest houses or offices

DIRECTV does it through coax too. Ethernet or coax would work for most cases. Dish is a member of MoCA Multimedia over Coax Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6 TVs will not be used in many installations, perhaps a modular solution could be cheaper, but it would probably be cheaper to manufacture with just the 6 sat channel receiver chips. DIRECTV's box has 5 sat receivers (thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/232591-new-5-tuner-directv-receiver.html ). The way DPP on Dish works an even number of tuners is better, so Dish would go with either 4 or 6. I am thinking 6 would be a better fit (they have a chip that does 2 tuners). You could have 5 TVs and a sling adapter for example as clients.

I do not think the box would be any bigger than a 622/722/922 class receiver. It is really just a few chips added for the extra tuners, they could remove the whole TV2 modulation stuff. The DIRECTV box does not look that big.

I think Dish is in a panic to get this box done ASAP. They see DIRECTV is going to come out with it next spring and they probably want at least to have something at CES to diffuse any appearance of falling behind.

I really cant imagine that networking rcvrs is too far out. Connect 2 722's together via ethernet...im just talking out of my .....here but whole home DVR has to be in the works.

Also, I did a job with just that. I went to a massive home. The AV guys were there waiting on me as I arrived. They asked me to install the dish and activate the receivers, (2- 722) that was it...they would take care of the rest. I decided to stick around to see what they were doing (huge home, lots and lots and lots of $$ in AV equipment) ...I didn't get to see it in action but this guy was telling me that everything would be connected via CAT5, HD signal could be sent to any TV (sound too) in the home, he had HDMI splitters that ran via CAT5...totally state of the art technology. Stuff I personally didnt even think was possible. I think there was 8 HDTV's in the home. He could mirror all 8 tv's at the flip of the button. He could switch between either rcvr at the flip of a button. BTW, these "buttons" were ipod touch "like" controllers that were mounted in the wall. -all ran via cat5. Just complete nonsense, "I have too much money" into this system kinda deal. -and he had a xbox into the mix...so he could put his xbox on any tv.....he didnt have a lynksys router, he had 3 WAP's installed...yeah. Too much money. To be quite honest, I wouldnt even know how to begin to think of the stuff this guy had going on.

I did deinstall a DTV whole home DVR system. The customer said it totally sucked. He pushed it just to see what it would do and the rcvr would fail. I think he said he only had it for like 2 weeks...3 techs had been to his home and he just gave up. It was an easy install for me though :)

Point is, I dont think whole home DVR is far off for Dish.

Okay a whole house dvr sounds good, but this is DISH we are talking about. They wouldn't allow you to watch the 6 different tuners in your house on 6 different tvs without coming up with a list of TV 2,3, 4, 5, and TV 6 fees at $5.00 EACH = $30.00 . This would defeat the entire reason for the whole house dvr.

the more I see about networking of receivers and stuff like the more a realize that ReplayTV was so far ahead of it's time. These basic functions that took place in this DVR 10 years ago are still not implemented as well as they were back that. Factor in I could send and receive shows from friends and nothing comes any where near what this old tech did back in the day.

RIP ReplayTV you could have changed the world.
http://www.hemagazine.com/Replay_TV

Last edited:
Yea, it all sounds good, but how many of you actually get 1080 picture over your coax lines? And since many people don't even have their house wired with coax, what's the likelihood they will be wired with Cat-5. I can see Dish doing this soon enough with the sling technology though

Yea, it all sounds good, but how many of you actually get 1080 picture over your coax lines? And since many people don't even have their house wired with coax, what's the likelihood they will be wired with Cat-5. I can see Dish doing this soon enough with the sling technology though

Cable can get quite a few 1080 pics over cable. But, what they really do is send the compressed encrypted satellite stream out to the client, so the data rate is less than 20mbit/sec for each stream (with Dish HD it is more like 4-6mbit).

Okay a whole house dvr sounds good, but this is DISH we are talking about. They wouldn't allow you to watch the 6 different tuners in your house on 6 different tvs without coming up with a list of TV 2,3, 4, 5, and TV 6 fees at $5.00 EACH = $30.00 . This would defeat the entire reason for the whole house dvr.

It really just depends on what the fees are. I don't see this as the "entire reason" for the whole house DVR. I would much rather have everything recorded in one place rather than have to update timers on 3 different DVRs to make sure I have everything I want in each room. I'd pay a multiroom free as long as it wasn't absurd. I don't mind paying for convenience.

the more I see about networking of receivers and stuff like the more a realize that ReplayTV was so far ahead of it's time. These basic functions that took place in this DVR 10 years ago are still not implemented as well as they were back that. Factor in I could send and receive shows from friends and nothing comes any where near what this old tech did back in the day.

RIP ReplayTV you could have changed the world.
The Way Back Page - ReplayTV | Home Entertainment

Yep. It's too bad tivo had to rip off their technology and push them to the curb. But that's sadly the way of things. I had a ReplayTV and I loved it. The offsite streaming was amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)