No More HBO/Shotime Special?

Quantum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
OR
Just called about signing up again, and they say there's no more HBO/Sho free for 3 months. When did that happen?

I want only HD channels, probably Silver ($45), but I also want premium movie channels. There's the Starz pack, but that doesn't look promising. I want HBO ($16) free for at least some period.

They wouldn't offer me any incentives to sign up. What gives?

It might be HBO or Showtime that has the problem. I'd tell you to go AT250, and get TMC West and Encore, but it seems that you don't want to pay that much, Only Encore East is HD out of both multiplexes, and if you don't like Starz, Encore would be useless. As someone who grew up with HBO and hasn't had for the last 2 1/2 years, I really don't miss it, considering that the only original shows I watch ended, and Inside the NFL went to Showtime.

It's just like any other promotion... Runs a while and stops. That one seems to recur frequently. Look for it to reappear about 3 months before the next season of True Blood.

Just called about signing up again, and they say there's no more HBO/Sho free for 3 months. When did that happen?

I want only HD channels, probably Silver ($45), but I also want premium movie channels. There's the Starz pack, but that doesn't look promising. I want HBO ($16) free for at least some period.

They wouldn't offer me any incentives to sign up. What gives?

I am not sure if HBO/Sho is still 3 months free. Are you on autopay and paperless billing? That is usually a requirement. They also seem to give incentives mostly to new customers although existing customers may be eligible for some offers. Just ask, and if one CSR tells you no, then try CSR roulette. You may get offers with another CSR.

You could always add a non-HD only package and add only the HD channels to your favorites list. If you want HD premiums, you may be interested in HD Platinum. Although it has other channels, you would get some commercial-free movie channels like Sony Movie Channel, ePiX 1, ePix 2, indieplex, retroplex, Shorts HD (although I rarely watch this one since it is short movies), and HDNet Movies. There is also MGM HD, which has limited commercial breaks, as well as Universal HD, which sometimes shows an uncut movie, but there may be some commercials with this channel for television shows. In addition, World Fishing Network (WFN) HD, Centric, Crime & Investigation HD, HD Theater, MAV TV HD, Palladia HD, Logo, and Fashion TV HD are included.

America's Top 250 [reg. $64.99/mo.] has the west feeds of The Movie Channel and The Movie Channel Xtra along with the Dish Latino Max [reg. $52.99/mo.] package; however, these feeds are SD. Both packages would be eligible for HD for Life. In addition, Epix 3 SD is in America's Top 250 or a la carte for $7/month. I do not think that one channel is worth $7/month unless you really want it and do not want to sub to America's Top 250. Encore East HD (but not the SD feed) is included in America's Top 250, and I also believe it is in the Starz premium package (with both the HD and SD feed). I also believe that Encore East HD is in the HD-only Dish America Gold package [reg. $54.99/mo.]. The other SD Encores [Encore WAM, Encore West, Encore Westerns, Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, and Encore Mystery] are in America's Top 250. With the exception of Encore East HD or/and SD and Encore WAM, the Encore Movie Pack which includes Encore West, Encore Westerns, Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, and Encore Mystery is available a la carte for $5.00/month if you do not subscribe to America's Top 250. However, it is offered to America's Top 250 subs, but it does not make sense unless you really want to pay $5/month for the SD feed of Encore East.

I should also mention that you could sub to America's "Everything" Pak [reg. $99.99/mo]. This includes HBO, Cinemax, Starz, and Showtime.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Last edited:
Thanks peoples.

I should have said that I'm an 'old guy', and object to paying for TV at all. Plus I hate autopay, because it sux on general principals. I get my paycheck as a check, and I pays me bills by check; not giving them any more control than necessary. OTOH I have an advanced MythTV system with a 4TB RAID10 array and R5000 to record the pure unencrypted digital transport stream sucked out of the guts of my 211, just like God intended. This means that when I'm subscribed I record-record-record, and since I own my equipment I'm not subject to any darned contract. When I have recorded about 6 months of viewing I cut off Dish and coast for 6 months. Then I turn them back on again. {snigger}

I called back and got the same answers, so subscribed to America's Silver (HD only). I was precluded from Starz pack as it requires autopay. (HBO/Sho did not) When he gave me the cost it turns out it's $40 not $45, because he said 'that's the new price'. I was so pleased I turned on HBO as well; only barely cracks $50... Last night I wrote down all my useful channels, activated them on SchedulesDirect and in MythTV, fired up my R5000 and now I'm merrily recording again.

Last edited:
Don't you think they play the system? Charging us, while still showing commercials?

Is this what you like, hillbilly?

Let's see, I was born in New York City, grew up in Los Angeles, and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I did live for a few years in the Poughkeepsie area of New York State, I guess that makes me a hillbilly..... ;)

I want HBO ($16) free for at least some period

Hey i want a free $16 too, if I give you my PayPal info will you send me $16?

It sounds like you’ve already had HBO for free for a period of time, what make you think you are so deserving to warrant more free access? Why shouldn’t you be paying the same price everyone else does? Dish Network and HBO are in the business to make money not give away stuff for free. If you have no interest in paying the price asked, then obviously it is not worth it to you, so therefore you should not subscribe. By giving away stuff for free they are losing money that will make up by increasing rates to offset the losses next year. So on behalf of the 90 million pay TV subscribers in the country I’d like to personally thank you and people like you for next year’s rate increases. Way to go!

When I first got Dish Network there was no promos, paid $800 for two barebones receivers, there was no free this or that, no programming price breaks either. When I switched to DirecTV got six months free of HBO, between Six Feet Under, The Soprano’s and the movies, there was enough content I liked to warrant me continuing to subscribe. When I switched to cable I got a sweetheart deal for two years, I got digital cable in two rooms with every movie channel for $52, after the two years was up I had no problem paying retail rate as I knew I got a good deal and I’m no more special then the guy next door paying $13 for HBO.

I should have said that I'm an 'old guy', and object to paying for TV at all

Then don’t! OTA is free or check out the FTA forums on this site for alternatives.

Plus I hate autopay, because it sux on general principals. I get my paycheck as a check, and I pays me bills by check

What the hell is a ‘check’? It’s 2010, we shouldn’t even have physical paper money anymore let alone checks. Being 100% cash free is the best thing I’ve ever done. I make my bills work for me. Instead of paying by check (whatever that is) I pay by credit on auto pay and use my bills to help gain rewards points for me that translate into cash back.

I only have two bills a month, a Visa bill and a MasterCard bill, both get paid off in full three days before the due date automatically from my checking account. Every purchase I make goes on my Visa, every monthly reoccurring bill goes on my MasterCard, every paycheck gets direct deposited. No cash , no checks, cash back, more secure, win win win for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts