THE OFFICAL DIRECTV QUESTIONS THREAD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JMSTAMU

Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I am having problems with receiving all transponder links. I installed a 3LNB oval dish, but, for example #231 Food Channel or #545 FLIX channel will not show. Troubleshooting I found that transponder 1, 3, 4, 12, 20 have zero signal and 2 takes a long time to signal lock, sometimes too long. My signal strength on all other transponders is 90-100. What am I doing wrong? I have w local antenna connected to the same canle through a setallite signal splitter. I do not watch local TV and DirectTV at the same time.

Transponder problems

I have a Hughs HIRD-D2 receiver. Where can I adjust for a 3LNB dish in this receiver? D* states to use RG-6 cable vs. RG-59. What is the difference in cables if I do not use RG-6?

JMSTAMU.....The main difference between RG-6 and Rg-59 cable is that Rg-6 will have a lot less siginal loss than RG-59.also Rg-59 could not allow some of the channel frequencys to pass and that could be why you do not get a siginal on some of your transponders.I would check this first.hope this helps..................DIGITAL~DAN

What do stations base your DNS eligibilty on?

I have been working for weeks trying to get Waivers for NBC for myself and my parents. In doing so I have found some rather odd things. If you look at the horrible map I quickly pieced together you will see a few colored circles. Just to get it out of the way all addresses I used are considered part of the Philly TV market and get Philly locals from DirecTv. And all of us live in very similar conditions single houses in valley's with lots of trees.

Now looking at the map the green circle represents my house. The NBC station in Lancaster (blue dot) claims I can pick up a grade B signal and denied my waivers. Which I am working on getting resolved.

Now while working on my parents I noticed that they (yellow dot) are being claimed by no Philly stations at all. However a ABC,CBS,NBC and Fox stations out of Harrisburg (red dot) claim grade b signals for them. None of these stations claim myself (green) or my aunt (pink) as being able to receive their signal.

When I looked up my aunts (pink) address not a single station says she can pick up a signal at her house she is eligible for DNS on every station.

I also looked up my inlaws (black dot on a B & W map :rolleyes: ) have only Philly stations claiming they can receive grade a signals.

The whole thing just seems completely random a station in Lancaster claims I can receive their signal but claims my aunt who is further south can not. Several Harrisburg station claim my parents can receive them but about 20 miles closer to Harrisburg they claim I can not receive any.

Just thought it was odd. and I know my map sucks ;)

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 268
Those maps are cool. They show me being able to receive a signal from all the stations which is not true. I have tried many different antennas. They also show the DMAs which shows all of the address I plotted out in the Philly DMA.

I know the maps show their CLAIMS to a certain market area, but we all know the "real world" results don't agree!

that was a link i already had handy to give him a general idea. if the map shows him in the digital area he would most certainly be in the analog area as well.

If anything, if you can get a digital signal you should be able to get the analog, most Digital stations are not broadcasting at full power (mostly due to saving money or not fully built yet) so the analog area should extend a little further than the Digital area.

Transponder Problems

I ran a dedicated RG-6 cable to my box. All was good for about 15 min. I noticed that when I do the receiver test, the signal is unlocked and tuning is trying. I need to press "begin test" several times before the signal and tuning says "OK". If I let the system search for the signal, eventually it locks in and as long as I do not change the channel, I can watch that channel. If I shift to a different channel, then I lose my signal lock. Dsconnecting power to the receiver for 5 min works sometimes. Could it be a faulty card or receiver?

D* new SATs, will we need a new DISH?

I'm somewhat new here to this forum. When the 2 new SATs are up next year, do I need to plan on another dish/LNB set-up? I have an oval dish w/3LNB's now. Just want to try to be ready & understand what will happen. If another dish set-up is needed, is D* going to "help" with the upgrade? Or is it too early to know? I'm so impressed with the addition of FOX-HD (MLB games for now) just want to enjoy the updates as soon as I can.

Barney

Distant Network Costs

Does DTV have a "package" price for the Distant Networks? Is there an economic incentive for a 1 year commitment?? What is the cost per network??
I could not find this information on their website.
Thank you!!!

5 LNB's!!!! Is the dish bigger? I sure hope D* pays for the update (I'll still do the update & hope they refund somehow). After that update, I'll really consider an HD DVR .........and of course a DVD burner........I'm a music lover first & the Live Concerts are great, but having more HD, I've become a fan of sports again & movies, just haven't got into regular programing. I'm here for the long-run & D* as well.........

Barney

1.50 per channel or 5.99 if you're eligible for all 4 networks.

DNS Pricing

I don`t believe the $1.50 per network is the current price. I have since called and was told it is $2.25/ network. Did I get a CSR that doesn`t know the prices or have they changed??
I again checked the website and could not find any pricing information.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts