The Pacific

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Looks like Dish is pulling out all the stops to promote HBO for this. Including now 3 free months if you sign up for CC autopay and paperless billing and doing free showing of the first episode.

"The Pacific" _HBO Original

I watched today's premier episode of The Pacific and I am still amazed at just how enthralled I was watching this program. The hour melted away and before I knew it, the end credits were rolling with me wanting to see more.

To be completely honest the series does start off very slow as they do have to introduce characters and set the scene for the next couple of months worth of programs. But the hype was not overblown.

Unlike Band of Brothers which follows a single company of men through the European theater, this series focuses on three men. Each is introduced to us and the story arcs just go on their own with an implied promise that they will eventually tie together if only just that all three stories meet at one point or another.

Today the focus was on Guadalcanal for the second half of the program and it delivered an incredible punch.

This is a series well worth watching.

All I could do when watching it was thinking of my uncle who fought in Guadalcanal. And how I was told how he had nightmares for 20 years after the war.

The first hour was, as Tony describes, enthralling. I downloaded the companion book by Hugh Ambrose (the late historian Stephen Ambrose' son) to my Kindle, and it really is excellent too. It truly is intended to be a companion - not a novelization of the movie).

I will look forward to every week of this series. And when it comes out on BD, it will be mine.

What a great episode last night. I just want to sit down and watch them all back to back.

S~

Thats my plan. Im recording them, but not going to watch them until they all air. My fiance travels a lot, so near the end of the series I will pick a day she is out of town and watch them all.

This is turning out to be a great mini series. Was it that bad at Guatemala Canal? I know it was a turning point in the Pacific campaign.

If you like this. You would probably like the movie We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson.

Guadalcanal. There's a marine (retired, of course) at my church that spent most of Worl War II in the Pacific. From the few times he's spoken of the war, the jungle/island fighting was worse than those he fought for can imagine.

He's on of the gentlest, kindest, and strongest men I've ever met.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts