The reason Dish lost a customer today.

.O.

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
PHX
I was a previous Dish customer. I got a switch back offerl in the mail and it seemed like a good deal so I decided to take advantage of it.
The following is a copy of the e-mail I sent to ceo@echostar.com.

"Hello.

I tried to become a return customer today and the reason I am not is as follows;

I received a switchback certificate in the mail and decided now would be a good time to return to Dish.

I ordered the HD DVR, 622, and a 311, with the Platinum package.

I talked with a very personable young man, gave him my credit card info and everything was fine.

At the end of our conversation he asked me if I own or rent.

Well I rent the hours I live in and have for the past fifteen years.

This is a house I maintain. I am responsible for upgrades, I do improvements, I pay for repairs, I pay for upkeep, insurance, etc.

Your CSR told me you can not do an install without written permission from my “landlord”.

Therein lays the deal breaker. I am not going to bother this man” my “landlord’ for something as trivial as this.

We are both busy professionals and our time is very valuable.

I go years sometimes without talking to my “landlord”.

Attached you will find a picture of a Dish 500, installed by your installers a few years ago and still on my house.

The coax is still run throughout the house and the only installation that needed to be done was to replace the dish.

Was this an issue when I signed on as a customer previously? No.

A Dish installer installed the dish, ran the coax, etc. The only permission needed was mine.

This is the reason you lost a high end, Platinum package customer today.

Thank you,"

Of course I forgot to attach the picture of the Dish 500 installed on my house.
I really hate when I forget to attach attachments.
I sent a seperate e-mail with the picture.

I am not dis-satisfied with my Cox Cable service. I was just looking for more HD content.

.O. said:

This is a house I maintain. I am responsible for upgrades, I do improvements, I pay for repairs, I pay for upkeep, insurance, etc.

Your CSR told me you can not do an install without written permission from my “landlord”.

Technically speaking that is correct.

A quick reply.

Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your email. I apologize, however this policy I can not negotiate on, if you do not own your home we would be permission from the home owner before any work is done.

The installation completed on your pervious subscription was completed by a retailer; the retailer I have on file is On Site Satellite INC. The number to reach them is 623-487-1777. However, if any damage is caused during the installation this retailer will have all liability for the claim, not DISH Network.

Sincerely,

David Laslo

CEO Escalations

One would think they would proof read their e-mails.

My reply;

Thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate it.

Yes, On Site Satellite did my original install. Which was passed on to them through Dish Network, I did not contact On Site, Dish Network did.

I find It a very sad comment on our society that you and I are having this conversation regarding liability.

After this I will never, ever have anything to do with Dish again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That actually doesn't seem like such an unreasonable request on their part to me. Most landlords probably would appreciate someone getting permission first anyway. It's certainly your choice not to want to take the time to do it but I guess I can't personally understand the ourage.

Dish has rules that they have to follow. Just because the rules were broken previously doesn't make it okay. Maybe they didn't have the landlord's permission requirement back then... Even if they did, it still doesn't matter.

Would Dish love for you to get permission so they can provide service ?? Hmmm, I'd guess the answer is .... yes.

How "trivial" is this to you that you felt the need to post the story here ??

It's for your (renter) sake, though. If you didn't obtain permission and your landlord made you take the dish down, DISH Network doesn't want you to use that as an excuse to get out of any commitments or sudden termination. DISH Network doesn't want NEW customers that'll only use their service for a few months, so without permission, the renter may terminate shortly after starting new service. It's a policy that they have to enforce on everybody for their own good.

But how will DISH Network know that you have the permission? If you told DISH Network that you had permission (whether you had it or not), they'll go by your word. Very, very few installers will ask if you rent or own the home. That's because the dispatchers are supposed to do that on their pre-call days before the installation date. And if the dispatchers do put on notes to ask for one, the technician may ask for it, but after doing so many of DISH Network installs (that is, referred by DISH to us), we've never come across a request to ask for one. We ask for permission (landlord or HOA) from obvious customers, like those living in apartments or townhomes with no prior dishes installed in the neighborhood, but in other cases, it's impossible to find out if the spouse or relative is house-sitting and doesn't have a clue.

Not to bash to OP, but I agree with Dish and Nazz and Hall. Seriously, why not just get the landlords permission?
.O. said:
Therein lays the deal breaker. I am not going to bother this man” my “landlord’ for something as trivial as this.
I really hate it when people say they are just so busy they can't do little things. Does your busy lifestyle prevent you from trivial things like lacing up your shoes? putting a coat on? How hard is it to call the landlord and get an ok in writing (heck even a fax machine or something). I could go on and on, but it's not worth it (I'm to busy to post trivial things) :)

Another opinion....

I could see on a multi-dwelling building, where the renter and/or the owner may not have any right to use such real property. Even on some townhomes, the owner may own some land and the inside of the dwelling, but does not own the structure the sheetrock is attached to, nor the roof.

If the renter of a house contracted a modification to the house, it seems like the renter would be liable to the owner to put it back the way it should be. But I guess it's because anybody can sue anybody, and the norm is when you file a suit, you open the phone book and add a few hundred more names to the suit.

Guess Dish doesn't want to get tied up in ANYMORE court cases. :)

"...Hey Landlord, I want to start up dish again, can I get permission?"
"Hey tennant, sure here is a letter so you can get dish again."
"Hey Dish, I have a letter here from my landlord to get Dish connected."
I didn't realize that would have been so hard. 5 minutes out of you and your landlords day to get more HD content for you is too much time! Glad I'm not as busy as you all are. Then again, in the time it took you to make your two posts, it could have been a done deal. Oh well. Your choice, I guess.
I'm guessing Dish isn't losing too much sleep tonite over it though.

What's funny is, i've had Dish installed on both my rental places. First an apartment, then a townhouse. I actually bothered to get the written letters from both managements.

The installers NEVER asked for the 'landlord' letter. When I brought it out and asked 'Hey, do you need this?' they said 'No.'

The first time was a local guy who did a fairly hack job (no grounding block, used the little 'flat' cables to go through a window. I ended up rewiring myself). The second guy had an actual 'Dish Network' van and was extremely competant and tried to honor my requests as best he could. (I wanted it on the building, but there's a rather large tree behind the place, so it went on a pole)

Anyway, I agree, this isn't THAT much of a big deal. It's all about liability. In a time where there are lawsuits about coffee being hot, I can see this being a pretty valid request.

Frankly, I'm amazed at the responses I've seen here.
Hoo, there are liabllity issues here at stake, poor Dish, they may be used.
This is not a multi use building. I may insurance.
There is already Dish equipment installed by a Dish representive.
Give me the Dish I'll install it.

For those of you who say it only takes a minute. You're right but that is a minute I am not going to waste.

I have had Dish, Direct TV, Voom, and Cox Cable over the years and. never have I been refused service because I am a renter.

Don't you get it?
I have been denied service because I, who can do whatever I want to this property, will not supply written permission.
This has nothing to do with extra ten channels of HD I may have gotten.

I could have lied, I could have forged documentation, easily.

I have been denied service because some lawyer somewhere is afraid of liability. Never mind that, the issue of liability already exists because of the original installition.

I can call Cox tomorrow and have them reroute a cable, put a new face plate in the wall. No problem as lond as I pay for it. That is the way it should be.

Frankly at this point, I will never take down the Dish 500 that was installed n house.
Shall we talk about liability?

When I rented a house, Directv asked the same question. My landlord verbally said it was ok. When I told Directv, the appointment was made and all was well. It took a whole 5 minutes to call my landlord and get the ok beforehand.

jmd102354 said:
When I rented a house, Directv asked the same question. My landlord verbally said it was ok.
As an independent installer, I have had to terminate three installations based on the landlord not giving permission. Two of the landlords allowed the dish in another area, and one of the landlords refused. When you think that Dish is being unreasonable, consider if you were the installer on these three sites, who worked two hours, only to be turned away or re-directed. Most landlord will give permission immediately, and they only object when they are not contacted because they feel that their rights are violated.

.O. said:
Frankly, I'm amazed at the responses I've seen here.
Hoo, there are liabllity issues here at stake, poor Dish, they may be used.
This is not a multi use building. I may insurance.
There is already Dish equipment installed by a Dish representive.
Give me the Dish I'll install it.

For those of you who say it only takes a minute. You're right but that is a minute I am not going to waste.

I have had Dish, Direct TV, Voom, and Cox Cable over the years and. never have I been refused service because I am a renter.

Don't you get it?
I have been denied service because I, who can do whatever I want to this property, will not supply written permission.
This has nothing to do with extra ten channels of HD I may have gotten.

I could have lied, I could have forged documentation, easily.

I have been denied service because some lawyer somewhere is afraid of liability. Never mind that, the issue of liability already exists because of the original installition.

I can call Cox tomorrow and have them reroute a cable, put a new face plate in the wall. No problem as lond as I pay for it. That is the way it should be.

Frankly at this point, I will never take down the Dish 500 that was installed n house.
Shall we talk about liability?

If you are too stubborn to call your landlord to get the okay for Dish to do the install then that's your business and head enjoy your time over at cox.
Why would you think that Dish would "suspend" this rule just for you? They don't care if you don't talk to your landlord for years at a time or that you have been there for 15 years or that there is a Dish already up. The policy is that if you rent your residence, then you are required to get the landlords permission before any work can be done on an install. If you don't want to get it, then don't sit here and whine about how you think you are being treated. If you don't want to follow the rules (and I really don't see where this one is unreasonable) then they have every right to tell you to go some place else for your service.
Bottom line is you were denied service because you are refusing to follow the policy laid out by Dish no matter how you try and spin it.

Wow! It's no wonder people are having heart attacks in record numbers, we get ourselves worked up over nothing.

The rent/own issue seems pretty clear cut to me. Everyone needs to cover themselves these days. As someone earlier said, think of what Dish stands to lose in terms of man-hours and wages if they come out and connect service, only to find out that the landlord was against the installation. On top of that, they just can't take someone's word on this. A few minutes to get a signature seems completely reasonable to me.

But, hey, I guess I'm just someone who some would say gets "walked all over."

.O. said:
I was a previous Dish customer. I got a switch back offerl in the mail and it seemed like a good deal so I decided to take advantage of it.
The following is a copy of the e-mail I sent to ceo@echostar.com.

"Hello.

I tried to become a return customer today and the reason I am not is as follows;

I received a switchback certificate in the mail and decided now would be a good time to return to Dish.

I ordered the HD DVR, 622, and a 311, with the Platinum package.

I talked with a very personable young man, gave him my credit card info and everything was fine.

Attached you will find a picture of a Dish 500, installed by your installers a few years ago and still on my house.

The coax is still run throughout the house and the only installation that needed to be done was to replace the dish.

Was this an issue when I signed on as a customer previously? No.

A Dish installer installed the dish, ran the coax, etc. The only permission needed was mine.

This is the reason you lost a high end, Platinum package customer today.

Thank you,"

In this case, I stand for the renter.
99.9% renter do not response for maintain, upgrade, improvements, repair, upkeep, insurance on the rented house, this is the owner's response but this renter paid all these, its almost the home owner, if the permission will needed, then all the above matters are owner's not renter.

However, programmers don't give a damn even you are the home owner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts