The Reluctant Upgrade to Dish Hopper 2

hdrick103

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Well I finally broke down and did the Hopper upgrade from my 922 to the Hopper 2. I wouldn't have done this except yesterday morning when I turned on my 922 it wouldn't boot up. Only after the fact did I find out later that Dish was attempting to do a software update push to all 922's. The 922's had already been stripped of their "On Demand" powers so I should have expected Dish to disable and make them obsolete sooner or later. Well I guess it to the land fill with the old 922's, anyway I was one of those people who liked to own my receivers (avoiding the service agreement). The new Hopper 2 is leased and under contract for two year. I have been a Dish customer since 1995, this is only the second contract I have signed since having Dish.

First along with the new equipment I wanted to upgrade and get the America's Top 200 for $64.99, Dish had sent me a flyer quoting the price along with a channel list. After requesting the package I soon found out that price was for "New Customers" only, and that I was not eligible. That must have been in the fine print I felt blindsided.....Well....OK so I settled for the Flex Pack because I knew by the time all the equipment fees and service charges/taxes were add it would put the bill over $100. monthly so I took the "low road".

I was also informed prior to the install that and OTA Module would be available so I could add local Dig net channels in my area such as METV and Antenna TV to view on my PVR receiver. Dish stated they did not have any in stock but perhaps the installer may have one on the truck I could purchase from him for $30.00.
Only after the install did I soon find out the OTA USB Modules are out of production, with no ship date in sight. Seems Dish is looking for a new supplier.

Next I thought I would get the auto pay discount (credit card on file), that I found out too is for new comers and not current customers. The install went ok, the technician had everything up and running in less than 2 hrs. He used my existing Dish 1000 and wiring already in place. I had a "Wing Dish" pointed @ 61.5 but the installer disable it because he said it was interfering with the Hopper locking onto the right satellite 119).

Overall I am happy with the service, Dish makes a good product, pricy but a good product. Just wish they would appreciate current customers more, new customers are good to but....... I head somewhere yesterdays customers are also tomorrows customers.

Reactions: yomama
The Autopay discount isn't just for new customers. I have it with the Flex Pack. You may need to verify with DIRT to see if you will be getting it.

Reactions: hdrick103
Well I finally broke down and did the Hopper upgrade from my 922 to the Hopper 2. I wouldn't have done this except yesterday morning when I turned on my 922 it wouldn't boot up. Only after the fact did I find out later that Dish was attempting to do a software update push to all 922's. The 922's had already been stripped of their "On Demand" powers so I should have expected Dish to disable and make them obsolete sooner or later. Well I guess it to the land fill with the old 922's, anyway I was one of those people who liked to own my receivers (avoiding the service agreement). The new Hopper 2 is leased and under contract for two year. I have been a Dish customer since 1995, this is only the second contract I have signed since having Dish.

First along with the new equipment I wanted to upgrade and get the America's Top 200 for $64.99, Dish had sent me a flyer quoting the price along with a channel list. After requesting the package I soon found out that price was for "New Customers" only, and that I was not eligible. That must have been in the fine print I felt blindsided.....Well....OK so I settled for the Flex Pack because I knew by the time all the equipment fees and service charges/taxes were add it would put the bill over $100. monthly so I took the "low road".

I was also informed prior to the install that and OTA Module would be available so I could add local Dig net channels in my area such as METV and Antenna TV to view on my PVR receiver. Dish stated they did not have any in stock but perhaps the installer may have one on the truck I could purchase from him for $30.00.
Only after the install did I soon find out the OTA USB Modules are out of production, with no ship date in sight. Seems Dish is looking for a new supplier.

Next I thought I would get the auto pay discount (credit card on file), that I found out too is for new comers and not current customers. The install went ok, the technician had everything up and running in less than 2 hrs. He used my existing Dish 1000 and wiring already in place. I had a "Wing Dish" pointed @ 61.5 but the installer disable it because he said it was interfering with the Hopper locking onto the right satellite 119).

Overall I am happy with the service, Dish makes a good product, pricy but a good product. Just wish they would appreciate current customers more, new customers are good to but....... I head somewhere yesterdays customers are also tomorrows customers.

Whoever you "found out" from is giving you wrong info. Top 200 for current customers can be $69.99 and another $5 discount for autopay for a total of $64.99. There are some people who may not qualify, for instance are not current in DISH bills etc, but current customers are able to get those discounts. Contact the DIRT member below your post to get all the correct information. Feel free to read some of the very recent posts of current customers who got exactly those discounts.

Whoever you "found out" from is giving you wrong info. Top 200 for current customers can be $69.99 and another $5 discount for autopay for a total of $64.99. There are some people who may not qualify, for instance are not current in DISH bills etc, but current customers are able to get those discounts. Contact the DIRT member below your post to get all the correct information. Feel free to read some of the very recent posts of current customers who got exactly those discounts.

I'm just wondering if he could have gotten the Renewal Offer in addition to new equipment, though. Since he went under new contract to get the Hopper, he may not be eligible for the other offers which also require a new contract. Definitely needs to let DIRT look into it.

Nothing I know about.....that was the customer representative at dish and not the installer. What does she know that he doesn't? Is a mystery to me. I would have like the speed of Hopper 3 but the 2 works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Your setup was probably the wing dish, which ended up being disabled by the installer anyway. I would push DIRT to get you the Hopper 3. Why go and sign a contract for an old piece of equipment? You are really going to regret not having the 3 if you ever get to use it. The 3 is night and day better than the 2.

Your setup was probably the wing dish, which ended up being disabled by the installer anyway. I would push DIRT to get you the Hopper 3. Why go and sign a contract for an old piece of equipment? You are really going to regret not having the 3 if you ever get to use it. The 3 is night and day better than the 2.

He did disable my wing dish, will it not work on a Hopper setup?

It will, but the only configuration I am aware of is if the wing dish is used for internationals (118*) and if the primary dish doesn't require reception of three satellites. My Hopper 3 has one dish pointed at 61.5*, 72.7* and a wing dish for internationals at 118*. If you had a wing dish pointed at 61.5*, you probably had the primary dish pointed at the western arc, and the wing dish was needed to get your locals? I don't think this is necessary anymore because the locals should be available on other satellites now (different than when your system was originally installed).

Let's do some research: Where do your local channels come from? When you do a check switch, what satellites are you seeing today? Answer these questions and, perhaps, DIRT can assist you in getting that H3...

He's already had the Hopper w/Sling installed though. It will take some good pull on DIRT's part to change this, won't it ? Usually you're "stuck", at least for a while before you're eligible for an upgrade again. Maybe DIRT can call it a 'mistake' on the phone rep's part or a misconfiguration. ;)

He's already had the Hopper w/Sling installed though. It will take some good pull on DIRT's part to change this, won't it ? Usually you're "stuck", at least for a while before you're eligible for an upgrade again. Maybe DIRT can call it a 'mistake' on the phone rep's part or a misconfiguration. ;)
When I was there, there was a 7-10 day period to upgrade or add onto. The original upgrade costs would still apply, if any, for specific equipment. This was not advertised

When I was there, there was a 7-10 day period to upgrade or add onto. The original upgrade costs would still apply, if any, for specific equipment. This was not advertised

No grace period, Dirt wants another 2 year agreement and an additional $100. For the upgrade two Hopper 3. To rich for my blood at this time.

He used my existing Dish 1000 and wiring already in place. I had a "Wing Dish" pointed @ 61.5 but the installer disable it because he said it was interfering with the Hopper locking onto the right satellite 119).
No grace period, Dirt wants another 2 year agreement and an additional $100. For the upgrade two Hopper 3. To rich for my blood at this time.
Did you explain to DIRT, or did they know, about this 'wing dish' ? Having that, based on what I've read here, is likely what prevented the original Dish rep from offering you a Hopper 3. Their system simply defaults to the Hopper 2 and many reps don't know or care how to work around it. Hell, the fact that he "disabled" it means you must have needed it anyway ! I do believe he fed you a line of **** about it interfering too....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)