The return of sub-channel ota epg???

Since Dish effectively denies that this feature exists or ever existed, I'd say it's low priority for them to work on fixing.

I have LA locals from both Dish and OTA and my sub channel EPG works. At least on the PBS sub channel. I think my other local networks just show the title of the channel instead of the actual program that is on.

Mine is a mixed bag - some show the programming, especially the .1 channels. The rest (.2, .3) show the proverbial Local Digital...

Mine is a mixed bag - some show the programming, especially the .1 channels. The rest (.2, .3) show the proverbial Local Digital...
In general, the ".1" channels show the same programming that the analog channel (the one you receive via satellite from Dish) shows, so Dish just maps that guide data to your program guide.

I've had subchannel info for 1 channel 20.2 all along. My others were added a few weeks ago and then taken away. I still have the one. It is CW and is not offered as a local here.

I have sub-bhannel info for 14.2, 3, 4, 5 but not 6. I also have info for 45.2, but not 45.1! :)

See ya
Tony

How long have you had the sub-channel info? I know in some spots (LA, for example) they've had them for awhile. Did they remove ALL the ones they added last month, or just most of them?

You should be getting 45-1 based on what I said in my previous post. 45-1 is, as you know, the digital simulcast of analog 45. 45-2 is MyTV and it's guide data showed up unrelated to the virtual channel guide data that Dayton rec'd a couple of weeks ago.

FWIW, I get data for 45-1 and 45-2.

We lost the Baltimore subch info a week or two ago, but the Wash DC info is still working. I sure miss the Balt info, it was working like a champ here.

Did we ever find out what the bug was that triggered this recall?

Here is my take on the matter.

First of all, I live 15 miles from Washington, DC and 25 miles from Baltimore, MD. However, Dish makes available ONLY with the DC locals to me. I am NOT permitted to subscribe to Baltimore locals even though they are very close by.

However, I easily receive ALL of the Washington and Baltimore analog and digital OTA locals with a rooftop antenna. My VIP-622 maps all of the Washington and Baltimore OTA digital channels and subchannels onto my EPG. Local DC main digital channels that Dish provides are also listed. Dish does not provide DC subchannels.

Program descriptions on the EPG for Washington OTA digital channels and subchannels are provided to me as well as the DC locals which I subscribe to. Program descriptions for the Baltimore OTA main digital channels ARE provided to me even though I do not subscribe to them. Program descriptions for the Baltimore OTA digital subchannels ARE not provided to me.

Last month, Dish provided EPG information to me for Baltimore OTA digital subchannels but discontinued this practice after only about a week.

My guess is that Dish was providing EPG information for out of market local digital subchannels to everyone regardless of whether they subscribed to their own local market channels.

Dish must have realized that they were aiding and abetting those who did not want to subscribe to their own locals and and who were using the OTA digital local channel pass-through feaure of their VIP-622 to map ALL digital locals onto the EPG. Dish unwittingly provided EPG information for these nonsubscribers before they caught onto their mistake.

My questions are several. Did anyone who DOES NOT subscribe to ANY of their own local channels from Dish receive any EPG information for any digital subchannels that they receive OTA for free? Do you receive any EPG information for any OTA digital channels and/or subchannels?

I, at least pay for DC locals so Dish throws in the EPG descriptions for OTA Baltimore digital locals to me for free but discontinued the Baltimore subchannel EPG info to me. If I didn't pay for any DC locals would I get any EPG information of any kind for any free OTA digital channels and/or subchannels that the VIP-622 mapped out for me?

Interesting questions.

First of all, I live 15 miles from Washington, DC and 25 miles from Baltimore, MD. However, Dish makes available ONLY with the DC locals to me. I am NOT permitted to subscribe to Baltimore locals even though they are very close by.

I live less that 5 miles from the next county and 25 miles from my local stations and I'm suck with my countys locals, and whats worse the next county over they offer HD (via dish). My OTA picks up all the stations.

My questions are several. Did anyone who DOES NOT subscribe to ANY of their wn local channels from Dish receive any EPG information for any digital subchannels that they receive OTA for free? Do you receive any EPG information for any OTA digital channels and/or subchannels?

I get info for the main ones (#-1's) but nothing for any other sub channels and I pay for locals.

In general, the ".1" channels show the same programming that the analog channel (the one you receive via satellite from Dish) shows, so Dish just maps that guide data to your program guide.
True in most cases. I did note an exception. With my PBS channel, the "main" programming (on both the old analog channel and the .2 SD digital) is what is being sent by Dish, but the HD content on .1 is usually entirely different. Exceptions are shows like Nova, Nature, etc. I haven't paid attention to what the EPG is saying for that channel, tho'. I don't yet have any locals in HD from Dish, probably never will...

I live less that 5 miles from the next county and 25 miles from my local stations and I'm stuck with my countys locals, and whats worse the next county over they offer HD (via dish). My OTA picks up all the stations. I get info for the main ones (#-1's) but nothing for any other sub channels and I pay for locals.

Do you live in Howard Co. and pay for the Baltimore locals? Assuming that you have a VIP-622, why doesn't Dish give you the EPG info for the subchannels of 2, 11, 22, and 45? Seems as though they should.

I pay for the DC locals and get the EPG subchannel info for 4, 7, 9, 26, 50, and 30/57.

maybe they are waiting on the patches to go out before attempting this again?
Bingo! Some of the older receivers just don't have enough memory allocated to the channel map. But since those don't have OTA tuners nor HD capability, it seems the fix would be for the OTA-less receivers ignore channels in a specific range when building the map in memory. I wonder if they have figured that out yet, took me about 30 seconds of thought. :)

Even easier solution, though I presume it's not possible, is to make so that only receiver models A, B, C, and D "get" this data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)