The Ship Is Sinking Fast For Xm

Beagle

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
As noted in other posts XM satellite radio has lost more money than ever before,and another bad sign is that one of their main board of directors has resigned.Scott is absolutely right,xm has not really done any thing for their subscribers recently,in fact a fair number of their subs has defected over to sirius.
the only reason xm is getting the amount of subs they are showing is every time some one purchases a new GM vehicle xm gives them a free sample subscription,which xm counts as a new sub even though that GM customer may not continue on with xm after their sample subscription is over.

umm the reason they are losing money is because they are signing up so many new subs s-a-c in the long run they will make a bundle

I didn't think they were actually losing subs, but that XM and Sirirus would growing subscribers very very quickly.

hwkn said:
If any service will be sinking it'll be Sirius once the bill for Mr.Stern starts to come due.

Which it is as a result of Howard as noted here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56811

Also they were saying that his contract is more that what was previously released. It was disclosed that it was $500 million, but in this news link it states that he will get over $600 million. And just as I have said in other posts, not enough subscribers have come aboard for Howard, (only 1.5 million).

Dont believe the media Hype. XM did exactly what most people expected it to do in quarter 4. Have a huge S.A.C to counteract stern. And because one board member who doesn't agree with the way they are doing things says they are in for a crisis doesn't make it so. They must be doing something right because from an article I read yesterday there lead over Sirius went from 2.1 million to 2.6 million subs. So even with the Stern Hype this year they still managed to increase there lead of subs over Sirius. Also I highly doubt either of these companies will hit Even cash flow this year. Although if Sirius raises the rates as Mel hinted to in the conference call they may increase their chances.

Also for the op you mentioned XM counting sold GM cars as Subs. I assume you are aware that Sirius counts unsold cars sitting on lots as subs.

Last edited:
Just curious...does anyone have the numbers of how many cars or car companies offer XM vs. Sirius?

I know GM is all XM, and seemingly everything they make comes XM-equipped. In the last year researching cars, I found several companies that offered one or both, but usually as an add-on option on the models I was interested in that didnt ever seem to appear on the lots unless special ordered.

I agree with not listening to the hype. I have Sirius (also a big money loser), and just like any other industry, they don't plan on being profitable for some time. Just as Directv and echostar/dish were not profiltable for a long time.

DWS44 said:
Just curious...does anyone have the numbers of how many cars or car companies offer XM vs. Sirius? .

Other than GM offering XM, the only other one I know for sure is that Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep offer Sirius in their vehicles. But not all of them. I have a 2005 Jeep product that does not have a Sirius radio. It was a rather expensive option I passed on.

See ya
Tony

sampatterson said:
Just as Directv and echostar/dish were not profiltable for a long time.

DirecTV has yet to have a profitable year! They have had a couple or three profitable quarters scattered in their entire history. No one is predicting their doom. :)

See ya
Tony

how about it....ill worry when i get nothing but white noise on my XM receiver...oh than that...how many other companies are out that not turning a profit and they are still running. Its all about hype...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts