The sound goes - OUT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
I just can not understand this. My 722K goes to the TV from the HDMI output, but the cable converts to DVI to connect to the TV. HDMI came out right after I purchased this TV.(bummer) The optical sound from the 722K goes to my high quality Onkyo receiver and then to the many speakers. GREAT sound. What does not make any sense is the sound on a few channels has a short pause or interruption every few seconds. It may play for 15 seconds, stop for 1 second, play for 20 seconds then stop again. It is all random. Now if I turn off the Onkyo and run the sound directly to the TV speakers, no interruption! Makes me think there is something wrong with the Onkyo receiver. BUT, if there was, it should happen on ALL channels. It only happens on Spike, AMC, and a local OTA station, and a few others. This problem just does not compute! What could be coming from these channels that affect the Onkyo?
RT.:confused:

What are your AUDIO SETTING on your 722? [MENU 6-7]
Audio Leveling ON/OFF
Off allows sound to be output unchanged and you can set LINE or RF below.
ON grays out LINE mode allowing ONLY RF which smooths out the sound(See help on screen)

Is the decoder set for DIGITAL/PCM or PCM only?

PCM is Pulse Code Modulation and simulates analog signals digitally so if that is how it is set, try it on Digital/PCM.

Mine is set:
LEVELING OFF -
Digital/PCM and Line.

If that doesn't help, then dunno...

Does your Onkyo have a mode where it doesn't automatically detect Dolby Digital or set it to Stereo only? That would be the only thing that I could think of external to the DVR. If it is the optical encoder output on the 722, you would think it would do it on all channels.

Have you tried cleaning the optical port on the Onkyo/722? I used canned air to clean mine every few months. Maybe a cable going bad. If the cable is kinked it could mess with the signal inside of the cable but then you would think it would do it on all channels.

... Now if I turn off the Onkyo and run the sound directly to the TV speakers, no interruption! ...
It may be that I am simply confused, but are you saying that you have an HDMI to DVI cable connected from your Dish receiver to your TV? If so, while the audio remains present at the DVI connector, there is no "handshake" available in the DVI standard to allow using that audio in the TV's speakers... you should hear nothing on the TV. :confused:

There is no audio over DVI.
Actually, there is audio present. As I said, "the audio remains present at the DVI connector, there is no "handshake" available in the DVI standard to allow using that audio in the TV's speakers ..."

He said, "Now if I turn off the Onkyo and run the sound directly to the TV speakers, no interruption!"

Which tells me that he also has an rca cable going to the TV because the DVI isn't going to give sound at all..... He is saying that, when he uses his optical connection to the Onkyo, he gets sound drop outs on certain channels, but not all.

I belive your problem is that defferant channels are prsented on differant frequencys and sats. this applies to both sound and picture. I think that your "Onkyo" prob dont support one or more freqs used for sound. Try a new or differant device to see if that helps.

I belive your problem is that defferant channels are prsented on differant frequencys and sats. this applies to both sound and picture. I think that your "Onkyo" prob dont support one or more freqs used for sound. Try a new or differant device to see if that helps.

Ummmm..... Sound and picture may come out on different frequencies from the satellite to the Dish receiver, but the receiver puts out exactly the same sound signal, to the TV and Onkyo, no matter what channel is selected.....

The little audio drop outs for very short periods of time has been happening to many of the DVR's for close to a year now. They have been to random for E* to find out what is causing it. Several of us have given E*advanced tech logs to try & figure out what is causing it and so far they can't as it is too random.

What are your AUDIO SETTING on your 722? [MENU 6-7]
Audio Leveling ON/OFF
Off allows sound to be output unchanged and you can set LINE or RF below.
ON grays out LINE mode allowing ONLY RF which smooths out the sound(See help on screen)

Is the decoder set for DIGITAL/PCM or PCM only?

PCM is Pulse Code Modulation and simulates analog signals digitally so if that is how it is set, try it on Digital/PCM.

Mine is set:
LEVELING OFF -
Digital/PCM and Line.

If that doesn't help, then dunno...

Does your Onkyo have a mode where it doesn't automatically detect Dolby Digital or set it to Stereo only? That would be the only thing that I could think of external to the DVR. If it is the optical encoder output on the 722, you would think it would do it on all channels.

Have you tried cleaning the optical port on the Onkyo/722? I used canned air to clean mine every few months. Maybe a cable going bad. If the cable is kinked it could mess with the signal inside of the cable but then you would think it would do it on all channels.

Leveling was enabled and decoder is DD/PCM. Switched to Leveling-off DD/PCM and Line - no change.
Onkyo has mod for stereo only, but sound is bad and still cuts out.
Cleaned port and used different opt cable - no change.

RT.

Interesting. I was going to attempt a different receiver and see just what would happen. Would take some work but I do have one that I could use for that test.

Oh, and to the poster about no sound thru DVI: I am well aware of that. I just ran left/right stereo cables to inputs ON the TV. That bypassed the Onkyo and sent sound from the 722K to the speakers.

RT.

The little audio drop outs for very short periods of time has been happening to many of the DVR's for close to a year now. They have been to random for E* to find out what is causing it. Several of us have given E*advanced tech logs to try & figure out what is causing it and so far they can't as it is too random.
Wow! Now that IS interesting. May just be the problem. Had the same with my cable DVR also, so. . . . .

RT.

Not too random for me. When ever I want to watch something on HBO or SHO, ie True Blood, it manages to drop audio at least once an episode. If I were to call tech support, they likely would not even acknowledge the issue.

Not too random for me. When ever I want to watch something on HBO or SHO, ie True Blood, it manages to drop audio at least once an episode. If I were to call tech support, they likely would not even acknowledge the issue.
no.. if you called them they'd tell you to unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and plug it back in.. "there... sound ok? good thank you for calling <click>"

.... meanwhile 20 minutes of True Blood is gone, Sookie is back on Fairy Land, and now this time its Sheriff Northman that's getting the evil eye for having "done something" to her... :)

And if you didn't know Sookie'd gone to planet F or the Fairy Plane .. tough noogies! :p :)

no.. if you called them they'd tell you to unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and plug it back in.. "there... sound ok? good thank you for calling <click>"

.... meanwhile 20 minutes of True Blood is gone, Sookie is back on Fairy Land, and now this time its Sheriff Northman that's getting the evil eye for having "done something" to her... :)

And if you didn't know Sookie'd gone to planet F or the Fairy Plane .. tough noogies! :p :)

No spoilers here since that isn't the latest epi u just talked about. ;)

I am also having this problem. The optical cable is connected to a Vizio sound bar. But then i watch somthing DVR'd from HBo i get no sound. (but it works from the tv speakers as it is connected through HDMI) Chated with tech support they told me to restart the receiver, then sent me to level 2 support and they asked me to unplug the cable and plug it back in. Then said they would send a tech out to check this out. I then told them that they sucked and told them i was not going to use my free tech visit on this issue and i would just look it up on google. So here i am. Im guessing we have not figured this out?

UPDATE: this is ALL HD channels. all sd Channels work fine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts