The Sound of Music Live

The excellent ratings (18.5 million viewers during 3-hours of prime-time) should serve as fuel for NBC to try this again next year - I hope! If so, what's next? Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Grease, West Side Story?

Must have been a really small orchestra. I was very disappointed with the quality. Right in tune with the way Broadway does it these days. Don't want to hire too many musicians, and the quality of the music really suffers.

Yeah it looked like 20 some musicians.

I just watched the show tonight and I was very impressed with Carrie Underwood's singing. She has a very young Ann Margaret ( in Bye -Bye Birdie musical) sound to her voice when she sings certain verses. I just watched Bye bye Birdie again yesterday on Cozi tv and I love watching a young , very HOT Ann Margaret. Carrie wasn't the best actress I've ever seen ,but she wasn't really hired for her acting. She is primarily a singer and she proved she could do that very thing. I only hope that having 18.9 million people tuning in to watch the show live will prove to NBC that LIVE Broadway musicals might be the way to go once a month or so. It was the highest non sports related event on NBC since like the E.R. finale . It cost them over 9 million to produce the show and very little went wrong other than a line stepped on and a train of the dress stepped on. Not bad for live event that lasted over 2 .5 hours.

They spend $9 million on the production, got to get a few runs of it.

Can you imagine if LIVE tv back in the day, costed that much to produce? We would of never seen any plays on tv in the 50s. I think the 9million was the total amount spent over the 10 months it took to get the show to air. Including the training and rehearsing of the play by Carrie Underwood.

Can you imagine if LIVE tv back in the day, costed that much to produce? We would of never seen any plays on tv in the 50s. I think the 9million was the total amount spent over the 10 months it took to get the show to air. Including the training and rehearsing of the play by Carrie Underwood.

The crews, actors and actresses were used to live TV back then. Plus, they certainly didn't have to spend big bucks on the backdrop and special effects since they were only 3 or 4 channels.

If you use the handy inflation calculator, $927,000 back in 1950 is $9 million today... http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Pretty sad, $9 million just does not buy what it used to....

'Sound Of Music Live!' Encore: NBC Bumps 'It's A Wonderful Life' To Re-Air Special

Source

"Looking forward to sitting down with a glass of eggnog and tuning in to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" this Saturday? NBC has other plans for you.

The network has decided to encore last week's "Sound Of Music Live!" on Dec. 14, meaning the classic Christmas movie will be bumped to Dec. 20."

Fully Story

FYI: I Love Lucy was costing about $200,000 to $300,000 PER EPISODE towards the end (1.8 - 2.7 Million in today's money). That was for 30 minutes.

Your Show of Shows was considered a bargain at $65,000 a week (About a half a million in today's money).

Source

"Looking forward to sitting down with a glass of eggnog and tuning in to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" this Saturday? NBC has other plans for you.

The network has decided to encore last week's "Sound Of Music Live!" on Dec. 14, meaning the classic Christmas movie will be bumped to Dec. 20."

Fully Story

NOOooooooo!!! I was looking forward to watching George Bailey screaming : MERRY Christmas MR. POTTER! for the 75 th time. Luckily I have it on dvd in both colorized as well as black & white versions.:)

NOOooooooo!!! I was looking forward to watching George Bailey screaming : MERRY Christmas MR. POTTER! for the 75 th time. Luckily I have it on dvd in both colorized as well as black & white versions.:)

Apparently BD/DVD sales must not be that spectacular so they're trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of the production. I don't mind...just don't screw with Wonderful Life.

Last night's airing of the movie (which people mistakenly call "the original") got the highest rating since 2007. 6.5 million for overnight rating. I wonder how much of that jump in ratings was due to the NBC production spurring on nostalgia for "the original"?

I'll tell ya, at times I was wishing I was watching the new production. Though the movie is definitely more slickly produced and the scenery is fantastic, some (not all) of the songs were, IMHO, performed much better and sounded a hell of a lot better in the new production.

Another thing was the way the commercials were cut in to the movie vs the made-for-TV stage production. In the stage production, the commercial breaks were built in to natural breaks and scene changes. ABC last night ignored that even NOT having a commercial break in what would have been the intermission break. The ABC ads were sometime inserted in the middle of scenes and not natural breaks. I know the cure for that is getting the DVD, but then that would ensure I would NEVER watch the movie again as is true for nearly every other DVD I own.

BTW, the 12/14 Saturday Night Rerun of Sound of Music Live got 3.2 million viewers.

At no time when I watch the movie would I ever wish I was watching the stage production. I felt Carrie's acting, and many in the cast, was horrible. They should have spent more time on her acting rather than trying to get rid of her country twang. I felt it was only OK.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts