The Sound of Music Live

One things is for sure...this Baroness is definitely an upgrade.
I disagree. She was better looking, but did not fit the role. The Baroness was supposed to be an older rich woman wanting to get richer "with skinny eyes" (see Courtship of Eddie's Father movie for reference).

I did have a serious casting issue with Rolf. The actor may have been young, but he looked and sounded like a 35 year-old, not a 17, going on 18 kid.

I'll just ditto Tony's comments and append a few of my observations:

• A fantastic live production on national TV; lots of spit and polish and the singing, dancing and timing was impeccable. Sure, there were minor mistakes such as the girls curtsying being out-of-sync, but were hardly noticeable and it only demonstrates the show was, in fact, a live performance
  • That audio hiss (air handler?) during the quite scenes was quite annoying...especially since I had it running through my Yamaha/Klipsch HT
  • The acting was pretty good (typical stage overacting) by all involved...with the notable exceptions of the main characters Maria and the Captain. I could deal with Underwood's "wooden" utterances, but I they could have done a much better job casting the Skipper. His acting, at times, made me cry...from the pain
  • I like how the writers made a few twists in the story just to see if we were paying attention (e.g., the way in which the Baroness broke the engagement and how the Boy Nazi didn't blow his whistle during the families escape)

You know...I could nitpick last night's show to death and, IMO, it is not in the same league at the original Sound of Music. However, it was still a wonderfully delightful 3-hours of quality song, dance and wholesome entertainment. Bravo Zulu and kudos to NBC and everyone involved with its production. The Peacock Network hit a home-run and I hope to see them do another remake next year. :)

So what did everyone think?

NBC’s ‘The Sound of Music Live’: An impossible climb after all

Washington Post

"America infrequently gathers around the tube anymore (except, of course, for football games), but you could sense millions drawing near Thursday night for a skeptical look at NBC’s “The Sound of Music Live,” an ambitious — yet disappointingly stiff — staging of the original musical.

I say “disappointing,” but I don’t mean travesty. Despite some strange lighting choices reminiscent of old soap operas that turned everything either a shade of scented candle or backyard compost and a weird sonic hiss that only amplified awkward gaps in spoken dialogue, much of it worked out okay. Kudos to NBC for trying something new (which is, in fact, something old)."

Full Story

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Carrie Underwood?

Time Entertainment

"An imposing Austrian manly-man falls for the nanny even though he is attached to a hot and accomplished brunette, and Twitter explodes over it. No, it’s not the Arnold Schwarzenegger – Maria Shriver – Mildred Baena love triangle, it’s NBC’s live staged version of The Sound of Music. The show wasn’t half as good as the 1965 Julie Andrews original, but it was so cringe-worthy that it was at least fun to watch.

Here’s what you missed if you flipped over to Scandal instead:

9 Things That Went Wrong (The Dog Bites, The Bee Stings):

1) When Carrie Underwood stepped out on the (wooded, not grassy) hills and started singing, I wished the hills were alive with the sound of hungry mountain lions. Why wasn’t she Julie Andrews? Is being Julie Andrews so much to ask for? No chic pixie cut either. Heidi braids."

Full Story

From what I saw the acting was terrible, but the music was good.

It was an amazing thing they pulled off for live TV. I can only wonder the size of the studios they used.

I just appreciate it for the songs. One would have thought that NBC would have tried some dry runs and fixed the AC systems. They also did not have as long a time for rehearsals as a regular Broadway play, leading to less polished acting.

Time Entertainment

"An imposing Austrian manly-man falls for the nanny even though he is attached to a hot and accomplished brunette, and Twitter explodes over it. No, it’s not the Arnold Schwarzenegger – Maria Shriver – Mildred Baena love triangle, it’s NBC’s live staged version of The Sound of Music. The show wasn’t half as good as the 1965 Julie Andrews original, but it was so cringe-worthy that it was at least fun to watch.

Here’s what you missed if you flipped over to Scandal instead:

9 Things That Went Wrong (The Dog Bites, The Bee Stings):

1) When Carrie Underwood stepped out on the (wooded, not grassy) hills and started singing, I wished the hills were alive with the sound of hungry mountain lions. Why wasn’t she Julie Andrews? Is being Julie Andrews so much to ask for? No chic pixie cut either. Heidi braids."

Full Story
The author of this review is being flayed alive in the comments section. :)

For me, I couldn't decide if there was an actual orchestra present or an electronic imitation of a real orchestra. Guess I'm just spoiled by the great movie orchestration from days gone by. Of course my small flat screen speakers didn't help matters.

For me, I couldn't decide if there was an actual orchestra present or an electronic imitation of a real orchestra. Guess I'm just spoiled by the great movie orchestration from days gone by. Of course my small flat screen speakers didn't help matters.

I saw the making of special. They were using a real orchestra, but they did not say exactly but implied that they prerecorded the orchestra, since it showed them recording in a sound room.

The orchestra was playing live in a separate studio. None of this production was "prepackaged"

The recordings in the studio were done for the soundtrack CDs which will be on sale shortly if not already.

'Sound of Music' ratings soar: NBC's biggest Thursday in 4 years

Source

"NBC’s big winter gamble paid off: The Sound of Music Live! delivered a massive audience Thursday night.

The three-hour performance of the classic Rodgers & Hammerstein musical delivered 18.5 million viewers and a great 4.6 rating among adults 18-49. Excluding sports, this is NBC’s biggest Thursday in the adult demo since the ER finale in 2009 and most-watched Thursday since the Frasier finale in 2004. Obviously, it’s also far and away NBC’s strongest non-sports Thursday performance this season; the network has had all sorts of ratings headaches on this night given its troubled comedy block. Sound of Music was Thursday’s most-watched show and tied CBS’ Big Bang Theory in the demo to win the evening.

While skepticism about the Sound of Music stunt ran high leading up to the show, viewers were generally enthusiastic about the performance, which was executed without any technical or performance glitches."

I saw the making of special. They were using a real orchestra, but they did not say exactly but implied that they prerecorded the orchestra, since it showed them recording in a sound room.
Must have been a really small orchestra. I was very disappointed with the quality. Right in tune with the way Broadway does it these days. Don't want to hire too many musicians, and the quality of the music really suffers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts