teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Thursday, December 5, 2013

My favorite movie of all time. Really looking forward to this.

An aspiring nun leaves the abbey to become a governess and ends up falling in love with her employer.

S~

My wife LOVES the original movie, but refuses to watch this, and she likes Carrie Underwood. Dunno.

I'm torn...not sure if I can stomach anyone other than Julie Andrews singing these classic tunes...it's akin to Pitbull hip-hopping Metallica.

One two three four
Uno dos Call of Ktulu

I know you want me,
You know I want cha,
I know you're Bleeding Me
You know I want cha

It kind of looses that magical effect. ;)

The big show is Tonight at 8:00 PM on NBC. I give 'em credit for having the balls to produce a 3-hour prime-time network show. Being that I attending Catholic School, can I still fantasize about Julie Andrews providing me with after-hours tutoring in the convent? Hell (which is were I'm probably heading) my fantasy may as well include the Humming Nun joining us (think about it). ;)

I saw the original movie this morning (DVD version edited a lot out compared to VHS version). Now I am curious how Tonight's play version will pan out? I also dislike "remake TV programs and movies" . I wish new original stuff that never been seen before would make a come-back. I wonder if Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer will be interviewed tomorrow?

The Sound of Music (Live Production)

All I have to say is WOW!!!!

This adaptation of the stage play was better than any live TV in its heyday! This was LIVE! They were really singing LIVE! I was looking for the signs of lip synching, but I saw and heard all the tell-tale mic phasing issues that happen as a performer moves along the stage.

From the performance standpoint, there were a few minor issues, such as an annoyingly loud air handling system in the studio causing a hiss during quieter moments of dialog. But the choreography, the music, and, above all, the vocals were nothing short of ASTOUNDING for a TV production. The lighting, the sets, the technical choreography was magical!

I want to make it clear, Carrie Underwood can't act. She proved it to me tonight. She is only this side of a wooden statue as she speaks her parts. But when she starts to sing, that is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. She has a voice that rivals our memory of Julie Andrews. The supporting cast were all just as talented.

I need to confess, I H-A-T-E the Theater. I generally despise watching plays and musicals on the stage. I find them so claustrophobic that it makes me uncomfortable. It's not for lack of trying to enjoy the plays, and it is not that I do not appreciate the beauty of what is being presented. I am just a child of the movies. Tonight's staging of this musical play for TV was almost as entertaining for me to watch as the actual production.

I can't convey in words the emotional impact this production had on me. I cannot think of ANY television production that has ever had such impact on me. Wow! Just.... Wow!