The Sportman Channel on Galaxy 23 Cband?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
Does anyone know what happened to "The Sportman Channel" on 121W Galaxy 23? I tried to watch it yesterday but all I had was a black screen. Still receiving 94% quality from transponder (3724H, symbol rate 3002). Manually rescanned and picked up TVW2? I was getting The Sportman Channel in at 94% quality a few weeks back, but nothing today.

After the last snow storm I used the snow blower to clear the drive and accidently aimed the discharge shoot at the 1.2 meter mini bud dish. I cleaned the snow off the dish pan, large hard chunks that where thrown into it but did not think it messed up the alignment. I did however check two of my lower quality channels to see if they were still viewable; "RFD TV" on 103W for one, it was originally 72% quality and now is 68%. The other channel I tested was "My Family TV" on 95W Galaxy 3C, that chanel was originally 69% quality and viewable, but now is pixelating at 64% quality. So I must have miss alinged the dish somewhat after the last storm, but not sure if that is what happened to the "Sportman Channel". Would hate to go out in the cold and mess around with the dish if this channel has left the satellite or moved to a different transponder. :confused:

I thought I was being smart placing the dish on the tripod next to the garage so it would be easy to clean snow and ice from the dish pan this winter. I never thought about discharge from the snow blower affecting the dish alignment. Live and learn I quess!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened to "The Sportman Channel" on 121W Galaxy 23? I tried to watch it yesterday but all I had was a black screen. Still receiving 94% quality from transponder (3724H, symbol rate 3002). Manually rescanned and picked up TVA2? I was getting The Sportman Channel in at 94% quality a few weeks back, but nothing today.

After the last snow storm I used the snow blower to clear the drive and accidently aimed the discharge shoot at the 1.2 meter mini bud dish. I cleaned the snow off the dish pan, large hard chunks that where thrown into it but did not think it messed up the alignment. I did however check two of my lower quality channels to see if they were still viewable; "RFD TV" on 103W for one, it was originally 72% quality and now is 68%. The other channel I tested was "My Family TV" on 95W Galaxy 3C, that chanel was originally 69% quality and viewable, but now is pixelating at 64% quality. So I must have miss alinged the dish somewhat after the last storm, but not sure if that is what happened to the "Sportman Channel". Would hate to go out in the cold and mess around with the dish if this channel has left the satellite or moved to a different transponder. :confused:

I thought I was being smart placing the dish on the tripod next to the garage so it would be easy to clean snow and ice from the dish pan this winter. I never thought about discharge from the snow blower affecting the dish alignment. Live and learn I quess!

A similar, non satellite experience here. We put in a new garage here this fall, and after our first 1' snowfall, I used the snowblower to clear the driveway, and cleared up along side the new garage, and after I was done, I looked at the little cleared area, and thought that would be a nice place to park one of my snowmobiles, so I put it there. The next day, when it warmed up a bit, I heard this rumble, looked out the window to see the 1' of snow come off the metal roof on the garage in about 2 seconds. Went out, and sure enough the snowmobile was completely invisible in the pile of snow. When I got it dug out, I found that the wind-shield had been destroyed (broken and knocked off the snowmobile). I felt pretty dumb putting the thing there, particularly because I have a metal roof on my house too, and had twice in the past had the snow come off and wipe out the 4x4 railings on the deck below the roof, so I should have known better. An aquaintance also once installed the chimney for a woodstove in his garage on the side below the sloping roof. Sure enough, snow came down, and took the chimney off the side of the building, ripping out part of the pipes inside the garage too.
So parking a dish near a garage could involve more than just danger of damage from the snowblower, but also, if by chance you have a metal roof on your garage, you have to be careful about snow coming off the roof, because that stuff can come down with a LOT of force. :)

B.J.-

I walked around the yard today searching for a better spot to install my dish this Spring. Unfortunately the best spot has a 6 foot drift extending all the way back to the tree line. It is located about 90 feet east of the garage where I had the dish setup last fall and gives me a clearer shot at satellites 133-139W over the trees on the west side of the property.

I attached photos I took last fall of the dish setup 90 foot east of the garage, and one I took a few minutes ago of the drift which is the small rise in the center of the photo. My lot drops in elevation about 4 feet from the house, the drift in the photo is actually about 6 feet deep and would have covered the top of my dish had I left it there. Never had this much snow before that you had to worry about digging out your dish. Maybe I will take down the 76cm dishes from the garage roof and install the 1.2 meter in its place.

Still no "Sportman Channel" this morning!:rant:

Attachments

• 003 (2).JPG
    003 (2).JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 004 (2).JPG
    004 (2).JPG
    672.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 1-12-10 033.JPG
    1-12-10 033.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 196
I just scanned it in with the numbers you posted.
3724 H 3002

OK, figured this one out! TVW is on transponder 3719H and symbol rate 3000 MS/s, very close to 3724H SR 3002. I noticed my signal quality realy jumped up on 3719H after I snow blowed my dish. This got me thinking about the problems I was having some time ago with RTV on 83W KU when LEO was over powering the broadcasts. To remedy that problem I just increased the symbol rate on my stb about 100 MS/s for RTV so my receiver would not lock onto LEO. I just did the same thing today for the "Sportman Channel", changed the symbol rate from 3002 to 3102 and WHAMO- The Sportman Channel scanned right in.

This was a little easier and warmer than going out and re-aligning the dish for now. But still have pixelation on "My Family TV" on Galaxy 3C. So when the weather warms up next week I will have to tweak the dish.

After experimenting with changing my Satelite Degree position in motor control it appears that my dish azimuth is off about 1 full degree and most likely my dish elevation as well. I bet after I re-align the dish I can change the symbol rate back to 3002.

Anyone notice that there is a second Sportsman Channel feed at 3734 H 3002. It's Powervu encrypted. I wonder what's up with that?

I didnt mention it before but noticed that a month or so ago (when we had decent weather) ;)
noticed that when I blind scanned

Anyone notice that there is a second Sportsman Channel feed at 3734 H 3002. It's Powervu encrypted. I wonder what's up with that?

yep, I noticed that a few days ago when I did my G23 update scan.

I bet Sportman Channel is getting ready to encrypt (testing with that temporary feed before making it permanent on their other feed when the kinks are worked out with cable/dbs)

Considering one doesn't think of Sportman Channel when you rattle off a list of cable services, it probably will be a channel killer to encrypt it since it doesn't seem to be widely carried.

Photoman , that must've been the Outdoor Channel I was thinking about. SPortsman channel is not listed in Dishnetwork programming lineup.

It has been FTA, requiring manual PID entry for a week or so on one of the DN 8psk transponders, but I just checked, and IT has encrypted too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts